Re: Marshall and Barrow.

On a night where Congressional Republicans took it on the chin, it appears Democrats Jim Marshall and John Barrow will win with theslimmest of margins. Much will happen between 2006 and 2008 but I think it’s fair to ask if these two Gentlemen can hold these seats in 2008.

1. John Konop says:

Buzz,

2 years is a long time. I think it depends on the war and the economy. I also think if wages keep declining immigration, trade and healthcare will be big issues!

That is why Romney might be the guy in 08.

2. kspencer says:

Actually, given that it was so close (regardless of eventual winner in the 8th and 12th) I’ve got another question.

What’s the likelihood we go through yet another redistricting that modifies the boundaries of both these districts?

I will point out that approximately 49% of Georgians who voted for US representatives chose Democratic candidates. “Tweaking” the boundaries so 9 (or more) of 13 seats go Republican seems a bit… non-representational. Even, possibly, a display of party over people.

3. Voters who know Marshall and Barrow returned them to office. New territories were tough, as expected, in a year when Perdue was romping at the top of the ticket.

Marshall did better than expected in Newton County, which I think is trending our way. Butts is Republican, but small, and unless Mac Collins runs again (or someone else from Jackson or Flovilla) I have a hard time seeing next year’s Republican improve on the margins there.

That leaves the Southern end of the district. Tifton and Moultrie in particular. Marshall now has two years to get to know these voters as their representative, and I think they will like him. I also wonder if Republicans will be able to commit 30,000 points of straight negative TV against him in 2008, as they did in 2006.

Sure, there is the Hillary factor, but if the nominee is virtually anyone else, I think they’ll be OK.

4. JRM2016 says:

A different day a different story, what about all the posts about how wrong the people were that were saying GA-8 and GA-12 would be very close. I guess reality requires a change of talking points.

We will be back and we will be stronger for this dose of bad medicine administered yesterday. Let us return to strong positions on fiscal responsibility, illegal immigration, the global war on terror, low taxes, entitlement reform and family values.

Gingrich ’08!

5. JRM2016 says:

Hey kspencer:

49% of the population in the close House races voted for Republicans, so can we just get half of those seats and give the other half to you guys, or do you want to keep all of them, even though you only got 51% of the vote.

6. midgajim says:

I’m surprised that all you political experts have failed to mention what seems obvious to me: Marshall will give up his House seat to run against Saxy in ’08.

Is that not a fait accompli?

7. Fogle says:

“Barrow and Marshall are safe. If you were going to beat them, this would have been the year!”

Again, I remind y’all that Barrow is FAR FROM holding his seat. Max Burns can DEFINITELY still win this thing. It will come dow to Effingham County, and then, probably absentee ballots. That means it isn’t looking like we will have a winner for days, weeks or longer. See our analysis for a comprehensive breakdown of the current situation.

8. RuralDem says:

I would say that giving the effort the Republicans put into ousting these two, that if you guys can’t do it now, you will have a hard time doing it later, unless redistricting comes into play.

Isn’t it funny that the party that cried about gerrymandering for so many decades is now doing it themselves? That’s not politics, that’s hypocrisy.

9. JRM2016 says:

By the way, down here in Columbus we would love to have all of Muscogee County in a single Congressional district, if anyone is listening.

10. RuralDem says:

“Creating districts that represent communities of interest does not equal gerrymandering.”

Redistricting just to kick a member of the opposite party out however, is downright pathetic.

Again people > party