Congratulations Lt. Governor Cagle

The first GOP Lieutenant Governor of Georgia since Reconstruction is Casey Cagle, who defeated Jim Martin tonight. From unknown challenger to the Christian Coalition and Washington establishment’s golden boy, to giant killer, to Lieutenant Governor of the state of Georgia — all in all, not a bad year for a ninth generation North Georgian who never got the chance to finish college.

Congrats, Lt. Governor Cagle!

1. Maurice Atkinson says:

Thank God, Casey had a class team. Tonight would have been a totally different scenario had Ralph been the nominee. Every Republican federal candidate with ties to Abramoff were run off. I say good riddance.

Think we’ll learn? Maybe, maybe not.

2. Bill Simon says:

Hmmm…wonder where Ralphie Poo was tonight? Ah, perhaps he’s digging into records trying to disprove he wasn’t involved in racketeering in Lousiana, Alabama, and Texas….

3. Valedictorian says:

Buzz,
    I bet you know Bill Arp, and probably saw him at the Westin. I wish it would have been Reed also.

4. Valedictorian says:

I will admit, Cagle killed Martin in the debates. His presence (I’m talking about him actually looking at the camera instead of “Left Stage Front”) was much more trusting than Martin’s, though I did think Martin’s “I’m more in touch with GA” values closing was excellent.

5. Romegaguy says:

I hate to resurect a dead horse but….

What happened to the legions of Reed supporters that were going to ensure that Martin won and any legislator that endorsed Cagle pre-primary was going to be soundly defeated?

6. jsm says:

“all in all, not a bad year for a ninth generation North Georgian who never got the chance to finish college.”

Never got the chance? How’s that? I’m not sure how this figures into Cagle’s win, but since you brought it up I’m curious what you mean.

To me, the fact that Cagle did not finish college is a limiting factor to his political career–possibly the only limiting factor. I wonder if he regrets not sticking it out to earn a degree.