My thoughts on John Kerry…

…In the interest of full disclosure, I’m going to reveal that I voted for John Kerry two times in 2004; first as a delegate at the Democratic National Convention, and second as a Georgia voter in the November General Election.

Last night, I had a long conversation with my mother about Kerry’s “botched joke” and we both agreed that the junior Senator from Massachusetts put his foot in his mouth yet again.  My mother, who voted for Kerry as well, said that John Kerry doesn’t know how to talk to the average American voter and that he proved that once again with his statements yesterday.

For the record, just like Zell Miller doesn’t speak for the Democratic Party neither does John Kerry.  The statements that Kerry made are his and his alone, and they should not be interpreted to mean that he’s speaking for the vast majority of Democrats across the country.

John Kerry isn’t speaking for me; he’s speaking for himself; and the Democratic Party should not be forced to defend Sen. Kerry’s comments.  That responsibility belongs to John Kerry.

1. ugavi says:

What makes this very interesting is that the Democrats had no problem tying the entire Republican party around Foley. Now when the last Democratic candidate for President slams all of our troops in uniform, he doesn’t represent all Democrats.

2. stephaniemills21 says:

ugavi,

That is bullshit, plain and simple. Democrats did not tie the whole GOP to Foley, they tied the whole GOP to the coverup attempts and their lack of action. There is a difference there. Not once did I see, hear, or read any dem saying that all GOP’s were pedophiles or liked to hit on young pages. They were more focused on Hastert and the rest of the leaderships lack of action when they knew about Foley and his inclinations for years.
    I am not defending Kerry (he was not my choice for 04), and think andre hit it on the head with “he doesn’t know how to talk to the average American voter,” but your argument is stupid.

3. RandyMiller says:

“Democrats did not tie the whole GOP to Foley, they tied the whole GOP to the coverup attempts and their lack of action. ”

Uh, Huh, that was ugavi’s point!

4. Chris says:

The GOP faithful are in a serious quandry trying to figure out how to keep 35% approval rating Bush from speaking for Republicans. Every republican I know with a conscience thinks Bush is the worst thing to happen to this country and they regret ever helping him into a second term. They can’t do enough to disavow him and his faux conservative policies, in private. But let this criticism bubble to the surface and every damn one of them .. how do you say it, “cut and run” from their own statements to lunge to attention and defend this fascist neocon regime.

5. stephaniemills21 says:

RM – Maybe i am reading ugavi wrong, but that was not their point. They were trying to point out a hypocrisy with the dems on Foley v. the repubs stance on the kerry gaffe. Apples and oranges to me.

6. Demonbeck says:

7. ugavi says:

Chris,
    Really. Somehow 6,500 people managed to show up in Perry yesterday, another few thousand in Statesboro on Monday. If republican’s are in a serious quandary, why were they there supporting the President?

8. uga_alum_93 says:

Well said. Now, what do you have to say about the Al Gore Re-count Team’s attempt to throw out as many overseas military absentee ballots as possible in Florida back in 2000? The left is only for the soldiers if it helps them politically. It is obvious when it comes to supporting the troops their heart just isn’t in it.

9. Demonbeck says:

Exactly, uga alum 93.

The Dems have already proven to America that they are willing to use pedophiles to their advantage.

Anyone remember which party led the fight AGAINST increasing penalties on pedophiles in the FY07 General Assembly?

10. CobbGOPer says:

Facists! I love it. Must really be close to election day for all this Demopublican vitriol to be flying around.

Kerry’s statement even talked about “assorted right-wing nut jobs.” It’s great how our politicians debase themselves from the manners of public discourse nowadays…

By the way, Chris, you’re on the wrong blog, buddy, this isn’t moveon.org.

11. Chris says:

ugavi: If republican’s are in a serious quandary, why were they there supporting the President?

So they won’t be called “terrorists” in the next campaign speech or pundit interview. People are scared to death of criticizing the president for fear of being branded a supporter of the terrorists. Your party set it up that way, precisely to make it very difficult for principled republicans to try to reclaim any much needed credibility for a genuinely conservative platform.

12. Bill Clinton came to Tifton in the ’92 campaign and 30,000 showed up. He wasn’t even President yet. President Bush, a sitting President, can only get 7,000 or so in the heart of Georgia Republican country.

I’m sorry, but he is the sitting president. If I lived in Houston County, even I’d probably go see him just to say I went. This is not a big deal, and if Mac had anything going for him at all (same for Burns) he wouldn’t need Bush to come try and rescue him with a last ditch effort.

13. Donkey Kong says:

“People are scared to death of criticizing the president for fear of being branded a supporter of the terrorists. Your party set it up that way, precisely to make it very difficult for principled republicans to try to reclaim any much needed credibility for a genuinely conservative platform. ”

As a conservative Republican, I’ll admit that it has become very difficult for conservatives to criticize the war in Iraq, President Bush, and Gov. Perdue, even criticism stemming from legitimate conservative issues. I’ve heard a decently solid conservative attack on the war in Iraq, and yet this person is looked on as, at best, a “moderate.” Conservatives used to be the intellectual party and I fear it is slipping from these roots. Daniel McCarthy wrote about this in American Conservative (http://www.amconmag.com/2006/2006_11_06/cover.html), echoing some feelings I have had about the conservatives today.

I remember telling Jeff a month or two ago how I thought it was interesting that young conservatives seem to be more interested in writing than reading (i.e. the College Republicans you guys love to ridicule). I know few that have read Russell Kirk, Barry Goldwater, Bastiat, et al, and even fewer (including myself) understand the philosophical foundation that the founders of the modern conservative movement used for their positions. Instead, modern conservatives like to throw out a Reagan one-liner without truly understanding the philosophical influences that led to his thoughts.

Last November, I was sitting in the office of Ken Cribb, President of ISI and former Reagan Cabinet member discussing the state of the conservative movement and he was pulling in quotes and ideas from Plato and Aristotle, Locke, Goldwater, Reagan, and everywhere in between. With true intellectual discourse, there is room for disagreement, even on Iraq, and the empty emotional attacks from both sides would hopefully be left at home.

14. Donkey Kong says:

Haha well Demonbeck you either place party over principle or principle over party. Character, integrity, courage…empty rhetoric or exclusive qualification? Which is it to you???

For the moment, anyway, I’ll tell you two things I’m for, Demonbeck, and they both start with R: Republican and REFORM.

15. RandyMiller says:

Alright, not wanting to fan flames, first I want to say I’ve known dems that have served in the military (but not many, as most I knew were rep)
    and I’ve known patriotic dems as well.
    Where I think my rep collegues are sensitive,
    and me too, stems from so many anti-american,
    anti military jabs thrown about that came from, well, not republicans.

Back after 9/11, we heard remarks like, “whomever bombs the pentagon has my vote,” (from the professor at U of NM) and that teacher in L.A. that was interviewed saying he hoped our side lost, as well as a letter I read in the ajc from some guy in N. Fulton saying, “America, you want to get rid of evil…look in the mirror and pull the trigger!”
    Now, for the creme de la creme! This letter was from a U. of Mass. grad student that hated Patt Tillman’s sacrifice so much they wrote this piece below. It’s stuff like this where many reps and dems are insulted, but acknowledge the right for people to say it, but also have every right to
    stand up and defend our men and women who serve.

16. RandyMiller says:

Oh, and a “peace rally” I saw on C-Span before the Iraqi invasion. Someone carried a sign that said, “Bomb Texas, I love Iraq.”
    And a sign at another rally said “we’ll support our troops when they shoot their officers.”
    WTF!!!!!!!!!

17. jsm says:

“Every republican I know with a conscience thinks Bush is the worst thing to happen to this country and they regret ever helping him into a second term. They can’t do enough to disavow him and his faux conservative policies, in private.”

Chris, I can’t believe others on this board let you slip by with this ridiculous statement. Republicans may not be 100% happy with Bush, but they don’t regret getting him re-elected. He had no GOP opposition, and they certainly did not want Kerry to win. Try not to exaggerate so much.

18. Donkey Kong says:

jsm,

Chris is may be right if he defines “conscience” as “closet Democrat.”

Chris,

“Worst thing to happen to this country?”

Pres. Bush must be pretty bad to be worse than 9/11, Pearl Harbor, the Civil War, and Michael Jackson. Especially Michael Jackson.

19. John Konop says:

Donkey Kong

I put this on my site today.

Why We Have Bad Elected Officials

As many of you know I ran as a challenger to Tom Price in the Republican primary for U.S. Congress. I ran because I thought Congress has sold us out to the lobbyist money changers in Washington.

I brought up issues about my opponent Tom Price like run away spending and Trade deals that promote illegal immigration, off shoring of jobs and disregard of our Constitution.

My family and I where treated like dogs by some Party leaders and members because I spoke up against an incumbent.

You would think the Party leaders would stop attacking my family and I with baseless lies. I will not repeat the numerous comments made toward my wife and kids, but your imagination could not take you to such a hateful place.

C.C, Republican Party Executive Committee Member Conrad Quagliaroli has launched another baseless attack at me. The latest was an e-mail blasted around Cherokee County that says “TOM PRICE for Congress

20. Donkey Kong says:

John,

You may not like this too much, but I’m fairly proud of Georgia’s Congressmen. I think they are the few in the country that have stayed close to their conservative roots. The only thing I am unhappy about is their lack of power in Congress, and I hope that changes over time. I have met Cong. Linder, Westmoreland, and Kingston, and am proud of each of them for their job in D.C.

21. GaChick says:

Move along now, nothing here.
    Git along little dawggies.
    Much ado about nothing.

We’ve had to endure 6 years of Bush/Cheney gaffes, lies, spin, smirks…all leading to an unnecessary war in Iraq, a country that didn’t have WMDs and didn’t attack us.

3000 American soldiers are dead.
    20,000 American soldiers are wounded.

John Kerry’s misstatement (see Republican dictionary) didn’t kill or maime anyone.

Bush/Cheney need to apologize to America immediately for money down the drain and lives lost for a lie.

22. DougieFresh says:

My problem with Kerry is that he thinks he is smarter, more refined and more knowledgeable than everyone else. I think humility is a sign of empathy, and empathy is a key component to being a good leader.

Kerry, on the other hand, seems to dismiss anyone in disagreement with him as being to unitelligentistic (sic – intentional Bushism) to understand the issue properly. Therefore his mind is closed to solutions that did not originate in his own brain. It seems to be a problem endemic to all Democrats.

Whether you take the original statement or as it was revised by the apologists, both are equally insulting. He is once again professing his love of his own superior to everyone else intellect, which is the number one thing that made him such an awful Presidential candidate.

23. Chris says:

Randy, who was it that wished for somebody to toss a suitcase nuke into Foggy Bottom not too long after? I believe it was a GOP elected official who made those remarks. Who else was it in the esteemed conservative ranks who publicly wished for our Supreme Court justices to be poisoned? Who else was it amongst prominent conservatives who said publicly that Iraq would be better off with Saddam still in charge? And as for the GOP’s distaste for blaming America first, who was it that laid 9/11 on America’s social policies – a very well known religious figure or two, I believe. Not to mention the Fred Phelps contingent of the conservative movement who publicly disgracefully attacks not only our troops, but their friends and families as well.

24. Chris says:

And curiously still as much a mystery as elusive fusion energy, who was it launched a multi-pronged anthrax attack against American citizens who all shared the common D by their names?

25. David says:

John Kerry is the best thing that could have happened for Republicans in the final week of the campaign. Open mouth insert foot! LOL I haven’t heard better words flow from the mouth of such a blithering idiot since Lurch said “I actually voted for the $87 billion before I voted against it.” Priceless!!! He just reminded every American why he was such a Tool in 2004!!!

26. Maurice Atkinson says:

In my opinion, what made Kerry’s remarks so dramatic is the fact that they have made that assersion many times, and gotten by with it. They have been able to pile on for weeks, without having to qualify their statements and this simply pushed it over the top.

The fact is, the President is correct. The Democratic Party has no agenda. Look at the Georgia ticket, what do they stand for other than want to get paycheck and a title? From the top of the ticket down, the Republicans have promoted a strong agenda to strengthen the economy, promote individual liberty, enhance educational opportunities and enable all Georgians to succeed.

27. Bill Simon says:

Maurice,

Quite honestly, I don’t think “promoting individual liberty” will come about by saddling the country (i.e., the taxpayers) with more and more debt to have to keep paying for.

That increase in debt has caused mortgagte rates to increase. Don’t believe me? In 2000, I bought my first house and paid 7.25% interest.

In 2002, I re-fied, to get a lower rate of 6.25″…and I missed the bottom approximately 2 years later at about 5.5%.

NOW, the rates are creeping back-up and are around 6.5%. The reason for that is directly tied to the mounting debt load in this country…and, we’re not talking a debt due to the war. I’m talking a debt load of earmarks voted INTO THE BUDGET BY A GOP CONGRESS.

So, Donkey Kong, if you feel your GOP congressional representatives from Georgia are ALL “doing the right job” in voting for this crap, then I’d say YOU wouldn’t know what a “conservative principle” was if you stepped on one.

28. Bill Simon says:

This is freakin’ weird….my first post above was in response to Maurice’s post which occured some time before my post….and now it’s not….

Cue the Twighlight Zone music…

29. Maurice Atkinson says:

Bill, I think this blog is possessed tonight. I was, however, referring to the President’s comments yesterday. That was a stunning speech. I have plenty of disgust with the national Party. They’re the reason we’re in this mess. I have stuck my neck out pretty far in criticizing the “liberal” Republican establishment. I believe the Republican agenda in the Georgia GOP is far different than the Washington establishment. I’m not sure they understand yet, but I hope they figure it out. I can be frustrated with our Party, but be willing to impact the process. The alternatives are far worse. I also believe in changing from within. It’s not as hard as some may think.

30. Jeff says:

Watch the whole thing. Kerry is right. Stay in college so you do not get stuck in Iraq. He is not saying that the military is stupid, he is telling people to make sure they are ineligible for the draft. That is what it will take to “win” the war in Iraq, or on terror. Face it. We had a draft and still lost the Vietnam war, and we spent more money on the War on Drugs than that is Iraq and lost that war too. The GOP point is clear by now, let the president do whatever…he fuels the rhetoric. Keep people afraid, that is good for GOP voter turn out. What Bush said last week was horrible. “A vote for the Democrats is a Vote for terrorists.” Nice mentality, way to educate the public and talk about the issues, how people friendly.

31. Bill Simon says:

Umm, Maurice?

You sound a lot like Tom Price who blames the “liberals” in Congress for all these spending bills he was forced (sic) into voting in favor of.

Had we had “conservatives” in government, they would have voted against these bills. But, all these guys whom the Prez calls “conservative” and whome you consider “conservative” are not “conservative” when it comes to fiscal responsibility.

AND, as far as I’m concerned, “fiscal responsibility” is the only thing that matters to a conservative Republican. This “social conservative” crappola is just that: CRAP.

I don’t see any social bullshit in Abraham Lincoln’s agenda….or, Teddy Roosevelt’s…or, Dwight D. Eisenhower’s agenda.

Fiscal responsibility is what REAL conservatives care about, not this “faith-based” bullshit that has us going down a road paved with nothing but a bunch of “good intentions”…

32. MountainDawg says:

Jeff-
    Nice try, but no cigar. When Democrats like Hillary and Howard Dean are being critical of Kerry, trust me, he went too far. And again, let’s say it together… there is no draft!! Democrats don’t want to really talk about the isssues, they just want to slam Bush and Republicans. Other than political rhetoric, Democrats have yet to produce a plan on HOW they will keep America safe. Despite what you and other Democrats want to believe, we are now in a war (whether any of us like it or not). In the mountains there is a saying: “a hit dog hollers”. Maybe the reason so many Democrats don’t like Bush’s assertion is that deep down they know that they are indirectly (or directly) playing into the terrorist’s hands.

33. Maurice Atkinson says:

Bill,,, we’re on the same page. I don’t disagree with you. But if you think for a moment that the Dems have anything close to what you and I are wanting to attain, you’re wrong. You know that.

You can change the environment from within. It is not that hard. You just have to work it.

34. Donkey Kong says:

Bill Simon,

I didn’t say I agreed with everything all of our Congressmen have supported, because that is far from the case. However, compared to the voting record of other Republicans in the House, I would say that they are more likely to stick to their roots than others. They also have a certain assumed responsibility to follow House leadership. If the House leadership is pushing toward the passage of more liberal policies, if GA Congressmen were to oppose every bill, they would lose the little influence they do have. Instead, they prioritize–the bills that are most important, they will make a stand, and compromise on the others. This is in no means ideal, but let’s be realistic. What we need is a much more solidly conservative House leadership that will direct the GOP in the right direction.

Additionally, the rising interest rates have little to do with the increased national debt. In theory, government debt has a crowding out effect that raises national interest rates. In reality, however, since the government borrows a good portion from overseas, this effect is minimal. It’s pretty well known that the rates are rising because of the fed’s increase of the prime rate due to a hawkish mentality towards inflation. Not to be demeaning, but this has been all over the news for the last couple years.

35. Jeff Emanuel says:

evil Jeff: trivia question. Who is the only elected official this generation to have proposed a draft — and what party is he from? It’s pretty easy, partner.

36. RandyMiller says:

At AJC.com today, under News Buzz, check it out, Photo, soldiers fire back ay Kerry.
    It’s from guys in the MinnNG. Hoping we could get it up here at PP?

37. Maurice Atkinson says:

Frankly, the man should just take Imus’ suggestion and just shut up. The more the man talks the deeper he digs his hole. CBS was reporting yesterday that one unnamed Democratic congressman said he wasn’t satisfied with ruining things in ’04 he has to do it again in ’06.

The shelf life would have been short, but these folks keep dishing it up. I say keep dishing.

38. Jeff says:

I would not know, I have not had to deal with a draft in my generation. Dems don’t talk about issues, well neither do Repubs. No party has an incentive to talk about the issues. Do know how old you are but Eisenhower had a draft in Korea, and I am not sure how smart you are…but we should have never gone to Iraq.