…or so said Yogi Berra. National Journal says this…
Do You Guys Know Something We Don’t?
Time‘s Allen blogs, Bush, Cheney, and WH Dep. CoS Karl Rove “are all over the airwaves predicting that, against the apparent odds, the GOP will keep both houses of Congress.” And WH officials say that “this is not just cheerleading — that they have five good reasons to think” this prediction might become a reality:
- No GOPer “is being taken by surprise, unlike many” Dems in ’94. According to one official, GOP officials deliberately “scared” lawmakers, telling them: “You face a very tough road. You better be ready.”
- “Absentee ballot requests and returns, closely tracked by the party, are meeting or exceeding past levels” for GOPers in key states and districts.
- When the nat’l parties, nat’l campaign cmtes, state “victory” cmte accounts “and competitive campaigns are added up,” GOPers “maintained a substantial financial advantage” over Dems at the last filing period.
- According to GOPers, “the district-by-district playing field favors them in several structural ways not reflected in national polls.” The GOP’s thinking: “There are 41 districts held by a Democrat that Bush carried, and 14 seats held by Republican that Kerry carried, so we’re fighting on better turf. You see it in the open seats, where Bush carried 18 of the Republican open seats and Kerry carried two. So we’re fighting on better turf.”
- The GOTV machine designed by Rove and Mehlman in ’01 was dubbed the “72-hour” program, “but officials say that’s quite a misnomer and that it’s really a 17-week or even two-year program” (“The Allen Report,” Time.com, 10/31).