Your Morning Dose of Vitriol

Ah, the gubernatorial debates.

Gov. Sonny Perdue took a personal swipe at Lt. Gov. Mark Taylor’s in the candidates’ second gubernatorial debate Sunday night questioning the Democrat’s use of drugs and alcohol around his son.

After the debate, Taylor called Perdue’s suggestion that he had used drugs in front of his son, Fletcher, “a total lie.

1. GaChick says:

And Mark, to his credit, did not get in the gutter and wallow with Sonny by mentioning that 24-year-old campaign manager Nick DUI thingy in Buckhead last week. Nor did he mention that Sonny daughter abruptly divorcing her husband to marry the state trooper thingy.

Family business should be family business. But, it seems Sonny only wants to hold Mark accountable for his family issues, but doesn’t want to be responsible for his own.

2. ugavi says:

So Ga Chick, Sonny was wrong in bringing up something that was in the AJC this weekend? Sonny didn’t talk about Fletcher’s issues.

3. politicalpundit says:

GaChick, lets make sure we have our facts straight. Sonny did not bring up the issue of Taylor’s son’s DUI in South Carolina, which caused an accident and death of his best friend. Lt. Governor was the only candidate who mentioned that issue during the debate last night. The Governor and his campaign have been very respectful of keeping Taylor’s family matters private throughout this entire campaign.

Perdue did, however, talk about the importance of being a good role model for your children. When the debate turned to the issue of illegal drugs, Taylor (once again) avoided talking about an substantive issues, ignoring the question choosing to make wild false allegations. In his rebutal, Sonny emphasized the importance parents being a good role model for the children, and alluded to the Lt. Governor’s past illicit drug use and reminded Georgia that Taylor had drank and drive when his son was an infant sitting in the back sit. Taylor hasn’t been a good leader for his family. Can he be a good leader for the state? I think the answer is no.

4. GaChick says:

So Sonny was a good role model for his daughter and his campaign manager?

I guess using your analogy then Sonny can’t be a good leader either. Looks like we have a draw on those issues.

5. GaChick says:

ugavi

And I guess Mark was “wrong” for not bringing up something that was also in the AJC this past week…namely that DUI in Buckhead mess.

6. Bill Arp says:

It is very odd that Nick Ayers DUI was a personal matter (according to Derrick Dickey), and how Sonny thinks Taylors sons DUI in South Carolina is not. I am supporting Perdue but he needs to get better advice on how to attack the big guy…maybe nick’s lack of maturity could be attributed to Sonny’s bad showing at the debate. Get off the bottle nick – these last two weeks are VERY important to Georgia.

7. ugavi says:

Bill Arp,
    Read politicalpundit’s post.

GaChick,
    I really don’t understand how Nick’s actions have anything to do with Mark Taylor admitting to drinking while his kids were in the car.

Bill Simon,
    I agree with you. I do not understand why Sonny even brought it up.

8. Decaturguy says:

I think it is evident that there is a very dark side to Sonny Perdue’s personality. If Sonny behaves like this when he is 20 points up in an election, how does he behave when the pressure is up in his job?

No wonder they’re using Mary in the TV ads so much. The real Sonny is a hot head who does this stuff and write letters to the editor over a UGA football loss.

9. yellowhammer says:

I generally like Gov. Perdue, but his personal attack on Taylor during the debate was uncalled for, unbecoming, and beneath the sitting Governor. Shame on him.

10. emily says:

This race is like watching a fight on the short bus–somebody’s going to win, but it will be sort of sad either way.

11. rightofcenter says:

RuralDem,
    First of all, let’s not forget that The Big Guy’s entire campaign has come down to calling Sonny a liar, a crook, greedy, enriching himself, blah, blah, blah – in other words, attacking his character. So why is is “stooping so low” for Sonny to say something that draws Taylor’s character into question? Secondly, I didn’t see the debate, but the AJC indicates that Sonny made some indirect insinuations, but didn’t reference Taylor directly. Perhaps he hit a little too close to home for Taylor to overreact like he did.

12. RuralDem says:

Haha, all of you guys hate the AJC yet are not afraid to quote them constantly. I guess the AJC is only a terrible paper when it is not in favor of a Republican?

Also, I never said I approved of what the Taylor campaign has done regarding Sonny’s character.

13. defnotrep says:

I was surprised Sonny brought up the drinking and drugs.

I want him to ask our President the same questions.

My point is that was a long time ago for both Mark and George W. Sonny bringing it up was not necessary.

I think using someone’s children for any reason is over the line. I mean I could say Sonny thinks he’s such a great dad….well his daughter is far from perfect is what i hear.