How To Hack The Election

Attention voters. Hugo Chavez has purchased the largest electronic voting equipment distributor in the United States. Perhaps he’ll rig the election to hurt Bush. Who knows. What I do know is that it has become painfully obvious that electronic voting, something I am a huge fan of, has problems.

What to know how to hack the election? It’s very easy. Just go here for step by step instructions.

More here and here.

We should all be troubled by this. I’m a skeptic of hacking, but I think there are growing reasons to be concerned.

1. defnotrep says:

Rick Day,

Cathy Cox rushed out and bought the first thing on the sale. Our elections have probably already been compromised. Certainly her bad judgment call on this buy will cost us millions to repair.

Why can’t we just go back to the punch cards??

2. Dorabill says:

Why would you even need software and touch screens for an electronic voting? I’ve got a calculator from the ’80s that’s solid state, factory sealed and does all kinds of things including spitting out paper. And they’re dirt cheap.

My friend Hanging Chad is waiting for Diebold down at the Gallows.

3. JP says:

Funny how when liberals are suspicious of Diebold’s machines, the right writes that off as an “excuse for losing the election,” but when machines are linked to Hugo Chavez, suddenly they become skeptical.

Why the two-facedness?

4. defnotrep says:

I had heard when the voting machines broke in the Chicago’s last elections, they called Diebold.
    Supposedly, Diebold sent a lot of Venzuelans to fix the machines. I dismissed this as propaganda at the time. Now I’m not sure.

Does anyone really know real facts regarding the Diebold/Venzuelan deal??

5. ugavi says:

There is no Deibold Venezuelan deal. There is another manufacturer of voting machines that uses software that was written by a company that was bought by a Venezuelan company.

6. UgaVI, don’t spoil her fun by telling her its Smartmatic, not Diebold, that is associated with the Venezuelans. I wonder where she “heard” about Venezuelans fixing Diebold machines? A link to that info. would be most helpful in sorting out the shat from shinola.

7. pvsys says:

I’m very conservatives and I’ve been complaining about substandard security in Diebold machines ever since I read a report in the Tallahassee newspaper (can bear to call the paper by name) which reported that Leon county officials paid an outside consulting firm to try to alter a test election with only one person having private access to a machine for just a few minutes and they succeeded with no trace left behind that the machine (or results) had been tampered with. Leon county promptly dropped Diebold.

What I’ve also found especially interesting is that much of the resistance to fixing the problem is from (1) the companies themselves who would stand to lose millions of dollars if forced to improve and retool machines already sold and (2) elected officials whose political careers would be damaged if their bad decisions about particular voting machines were to be publicized.

What is also interesting is that most security experts believe that there are a number of simple steps which could have been done which would have made these machines MUCH harder to hack. So to think that anyone complaining is a technophobe is just ridiculous.

And the fact that this hasn’t gotten more press and attention until the last minute before the election is shameful.

Rob McEwen