Vote or Die. Vote or Die.

UPDATE:I’m putting this back up top. Insider Advantage and others are linking to this post and lots of people are wondering where we got the piece. A trusted source subscribes to Miss Angela’s email list. This flyer went out over that email list this morning.

Wow! The Democrats have now fired off the first substantial use of the race card this year. This flyer, click it for a larger view, came to us from a source who says former Secretary of State candidate Angela Moore is behind these.

The flyer shows civil rights activists being beaten down in the street and underneath shows a picture of Governor Sonny Perdue signing the voter ID law.

There you have it folks. That’s what the Democrats are going to be using this year to get people to vote. No, they aren’t saying go vote for Mark Taylor. Notice that.

They have adopted, in effect, Miss. Angela’s old campaign song, “Vote for Miss. Angela,

1. John Konop says:

This is why so many Americans like me are not Democrats. The concept of if you are for voter I.D. reform, immigration reform, against Affirmative Action…. That somehow you are a racist does harm to real victims of racism. Also it eliminates any intelligent conversation on the issue.

That is why when I hear pro illegal immigration Republicans use the race card I just cannot believe my ears.

The truth is Blacks have been the biggest victims of illegal immigrants voting in California. The L.A. times reported that estimates as high as 20% of voters in the Mayors race in L.A. were illegal immigrants.

The issue is not about race. Should we have a higher requirement to get at Blockbuster video than a vote?

2. TJBradley says:

Angela Moore is a complete joke. Didn’t her campaign literature say that she supports the disenfranchisement of voters?

The Dems must be so proud to have her in their flock. But, maybe she’ll go back to practicing medecine. After all, she claims to have an MD from Johns Hopkins. (A GED ends with D, so the two degrees must be similar.)

I hope she runs for state-wide office again. If so, the Dems have a bright future.

3. RuralDem says:

Terrible. It’s sad that someone within the party has decided to play this card yet again.

“The Democrats have now fired off the first substantial use of the race card this year.”

So is it the DPG or Angela Moore herself? I think it’s unfair to say “The Democrats did it” when there’s no proof of that. That statement just insinuates that the Party itself is behind it. If the DPG did approve of that then they’ve made a huge mistake.

4. Fogle says:

Speechless. This is so outrageous that even Louis Farrakhan or Al Sharpton would probably shy away.

I doubt this is the pre-election Democratic fumble we’ve all been waiting for, but it’s a good start.

5. Fogle says:

As great as that rap song was (and it was some mad whack fire straight out the hood yo… the lyrics are so damn inspiring) it doesn’t hold a candle to this.

Once in a generation, a candidate comes along that truly touches hearts and inspires minds… and Angela Moore was sure as hell NOT that candidate.

6. Mike says:

Just damn. H. Dean looked like he had a baseball bat up his rear. Even Mr. Peanut looked embaressed to have his picture taken with her. Westsiiiiiiiiiiid!!!!!!

7. Fogle says:

If, on some far-out Jesse Jackson-style pipe dream, Moore had made it through the primary and won the SoS general, do you think she would have plastered her name and picture on the SoS website more than Cathy Cox?

8. Alright, just to set the record straight. nowhere on that piece of literature does it say “paid for by the Democratic Party of Georgia”.

Hell, it’s not even union printed.

This piece was put together by someone independent of the Party and that’s that.

9. Mad Dog says:

In keeping with the theme, blame the current Democrats for racism in the South. Blame every public discussion of racism in America on Democrats.

But, and this is not a rhetorical question, how can any white person blame a black women for honoring the Civil Rights movement?

10. Mad Dog says:

Why is the mere exercise of Free Speech so violently opposed when the topic is Racism?

Miss Angela has a right to her personal point of view. To her choice of music. To her choice of organized or unorganized faith.

But, she can’t speak out about her point of view on voting rights without being blamed as a racist by ‘white people?’

Those who hold up this mailing and label the Democrats as racists do not honor the legacy of King and other peaceful activists.

Miss Angelas mailing shows racism under Democrats in the South and the responses on this thread show the status of racism today in the South.

Good job, guys.

11. John Konop says:

Mad Dog

You sound like the Republicans who defend the Ford ad in Ten.

The next thing I know you will be giving me the
    definition of “is”

Both Parties need to stay away from garbage like this bottom line.

12. memberg says:

If you’re going to play the race card, there’s no point in being subtle.

In other words, Republicans have no moral highground just because their anti-Latino stance is veiled in immigration legislation.

13. RandyMiller says:

Yes, this flyer is playing the race card, big time. And as far as rascist goes, I noticed Jesse Jackson was at Taylor’s fund raiser last night downtown. Also acording to AJC Al Sharpton is in town, any word if he was there too?

Shaprton and Jackson, besides their clever use of crooked trial attorneys to extort money, are very good at driving wedges imbetween the racial progress that’s taken place in the last 3 decades. Whenever they see racial equality taking place they deem it a threat to them and the democratic party.

In a very similar way, it’s how the dems have used the gay vote. “Hey, you’re a minority, you can’t possibly go anywhere without our help, if the republicans win you’ll go to extermination camps, vote democrat!” This is how people like Taylor, Jackson, and Sharpton keep their slimy hands on voters, folks. By making them feel inferior, and saying they’re the only ones that “care” about you. Funny thing, that “care” seems to only popup every 4 years!

14. Mad Dog says:

Honestly, I felt a good amount of fear before revisiting this thread.

I expected a huge personal backlash. I don’t see a huge negative reaction.

I’ll even say Randy Miller made points that should be in a thread that discusses racism and alleges that political parties use emotionally charged issues to win or lose elections.

More, please.

15. RuralDem says:

Randy Miller – You need to run against Mark Taylor for something one day. You are the epitome of the “anti-candidate”. Not because you guys have differing views, it’s just you have some personal vendetta against Taylor. Seriously, Mark Taylor could say the sky is blue and you’d go off on a tangent about how it’s all spin and his Dad is behind it or some mess.

16. jsm says:

Mad Dog,

The right to free speech does not alleviate one of the response to and/or consequence of that speech.

17. atlantaman says:

Poor Miss Angela still had no clue as to why she lost. The average Georgia voter, who probably wasn’t born or didn’t live in here during the Civil Rights Movement, is sick and tired of every political debate being tied to racism, slavery or the beatings during the Movement.

The shame of it is that it belittles the importance of the Civil Rights Movement and the bravery of those involved when analogies are sighted in such a careless and pandering manner.

18. RandyMiller says:

RuralDem:
    Trust me, I used to think OK of Taylor. But it wasn’t until this race that I now see what a severe opportunist he’s become. It’s good Cathy Cox ran against him because she enlightened us to some realities about Taylor that I and obviously many other citizens are not too cool with. That is what I’m against, not the individual, there is a difference! Several dems are amongst my heroes! Andrew Jackson, Woodrow Wilson, Harry S. Truman, and JFK were men of great character and wisdom that lead our nation well. I like them as I do Abe Lincoln, Douglas McArthur (Hell Yeah!!!), IKE, and Ronald Reagan. So it’s not some “V for vendetta,” as you assume, it’s the individuals political character. Much as I take it you think of Perdue

19. Mad Dog says:

jsm,

I never said that it did. Nor, do I think you are trying to say that I said I did. What you are saying, no one that speaks can expect to hold the stage forever.

What I’m saying, throwing garbage on the stage isn’t free speech. It’s not illegal and some think it is a right (from buying a ticket to get in the theatre).

I agree with atlantaman that those in the Civil Rights movement exhibited extraordinary courage. Atlantaman should have included lynchings and bombings during the Movement.

And, let the record show, I was old enough and wasn’t in Georgia, but I was in Mississippi and Tennessee. But, if I wasn’t old enough or geographically too challenged, would that excuse ignorance?

20. RuralDem says:

Randy Miller,

I stand corrected then. I’ll also admit that I tend to go off on a tanget about Perdue as well similar to how you go off on Taylor. 🙂

21. RandyMiller says:

History 1001
    Q: From what political party in the American southeast did the KKK originate?
    A: Democrat
    Q: What American political party was in overwhelming power in the southeast during all the lynchings and church bombing?
    A: Democrat
    Q: Of all U.S. congressmen now in service, what party does one belong to (now a USsenator) that once was a memebr of the KKK?
    A: Democract

Well, maddog, here’s your -more, please-. Now thank me!

22. atlantaman says:

“But, if I wasn’t old enough or geographically too challenged, would that excuse ignorance?”

It definitley doesn’t excuse ignorance, but people who had nothing to do with the biggots and racists of another generation are sick of being compared to Bull Conner.

I don’t think anyone is disputing Miss Angela’s right to free speech, but choosing to make an analogy with something as sacred as the Civil Rights Movement does not give you a shield of infallibility.

23. leftrightcombo says:

Sooner rather than later the shock value of this is going to cost the Democrats. Maybe someone should save this post card and send it out again during the Democratic primary.

24. Mad Dog says:

Atlantaman,

It shouldn’t give one a shield of infallibility.

I would agree that the causal series is illogical. But, always a but with me, when or how do we date the end of racism?

1964? 1965 and the Voting Rights Act? 1972 and integration of Indiana schools? (Yeah, the north had segregation)

When did the last sign get taken down, No blacks need apply?

And, back to that causal series, I’m so sick and tired of Southerners saying, “I learned all my values from my family.” If that family had racist KKK leaders, doesn’t that mean they learned racist values? Doesn’t that mean those family values are still being handed down?

And, and I always have an and, if Cobb County is still fighting for creationism, is the South all that changed?

25. Mad Dog says:

HEY John Konop!

I almost missed that.

“The next thing I know you will be giving me the
    definition of ‘is'”…

It’s a verb, John. Does that help you out any?

26. RandyMiller says:

Maddog:
    Yes, unfortunately racism has an ugly history within both our parties. And as ugly as that ugly is, just that we have learned and continue to learn is what’s paramount at this stage of our human existence. And what a great day it’ll be when our kids, grandkids, children of our significant others (I want to be inclusive!) can tell their kids & grandkids; “yes, racism was once a problem here in America.

27. atlantaman says:

I don’t think we can ever eliminate racisim, but we can eliminate being partioned into groups based on something as arbitrary as the shade of my skin.

Before some folks start howling, I know there is a history in this country where skin shade mattered but I feel most have moved beyond it. The last time I was approached by a Census taker I was asked, “What are you?” and I told her I was an American. She asked two or three times, but I told her I wasn’t a geneologist and couldn’t definitively tell her whether I had Black, Indian, or Asian blood in me. I’m sure they have already rehearsed what to do with problem people like me and they probably just give their estimation at some point (so the white-guy box was checked), but I’m sick of being placed into groups for government planning purposes.

28. emily says:

To think that Republicans are not using the race card with immigration, especially when related to the voter ID stuff, is ridiculous. Anybody stop to think that Miss Angela might be freakin right?! There is, in fact, rampant voter suppression. It is most rampant in African American communities. I think the piece works because it’s true. At least I hope it works.

29. one big D says:

Someone tell me what is on that card that is false? If you look closely, the top picture has Congressman John Lewis on it when he was getting a serious beat down trying to get disenfranchised people the right to vote and the second picture is Sonny Perdue signing a piece of paper that creatse more obstacles for disenfranchised people to vote. What is so inaccurate about the piece?

Oh I get it, white folks don’t like the truth being out there in the open. You can’t hide it. Sonny didn’t sign that piece of paper to stop supposedly voter fraud in rural communities. If you believe that then there’s a bridge in Macon that I want to sell you. If you believe that Sonny and the Republicans don’t want Blacks folks to turn out in record numbers, then there is a piece of land next to Disneyworld that I can get you for $5 million – hey I know the Governor who owns it.

30. John Konop says:

emily

Our Black people using the race card when they complain about illegal immigrants voting in the L.A. Mayor race? Was Caesar Chavez a racist when he said immigration was a tool to drive wages down? Was MLK successor Robert Abernathy & Walter Mondale and the Chavez brothers’ racist when they had demonstrations to block the borders? Would you call Caesar and Manuel Chavez vigilantes for running a Minuteman project to stop illegal immigrants from crossing our borders?

31. Erick says:

one big D:
    What is inaccurate is that the caption for the top picture implies that the people on top are the same as the people on the bottom — at least their party is the same.

Clearly the white folks being John Lewis in the top picture are part of the Democratic Machine from that time period — not Republicans.

32. Mad Dog says:

Erick,

Those Democrats from that era, like… say Zell Miller …?

And, all the other used to be Dems like … I don’t know … Sonny “I am old enough to have discriminated proudly” Perdue?

Yeap. The Democratic Party changed. And, those who didn’t change with it, became Republicans.

Thanks, Erick, for reminding me.

33. Jeff says:

Minority rights. I will say it again. Minority Rights. The GOP only seems to understand tyranny of the Majority. Well…that worked for the Nazis for a little more than a decade. Keep it up, you will only help the Democratic Party stay in office to fix America. The Voter I.D. is a voter suppression tactic used to decrease votes for the Democratic party, not to legitimize elections. What would conservatives say if voting machines had to be distributed according to population? The GOP would bitch an moan about equity and how even distribution of voting machines causes long lines in the suburbs and wealthy areas, and that those liberal sympathizers of the poor and elderly do not believe in Democracy.

34. Fogle says:

“Well…that worked for the Nazis for a little more than a decade.”

I was waiting for the Nazi reference. It’s just not a liberal hate-fest without playing the race card (see: Al Sharpton) and calling the GOP “Nazis” (see: Robert Byrd).

Now all we need is Mad Dog to reference some Karl Marx and the donkeys are in business.

35. jsm says:

Here we go again. Why don’t some of you Democrats tell me what your party is doing to ensure fair and accurate elections. I’ll bet the answer is “nothing.” Calling Republicans racist for working to ensure that every voter is legally qualified is disingenuous and downright deceitful.

As far as this argument about what Party discriminated the most–how many of you Democrats like Jimmy Carter? He ran for governor in GA in 1970 as a staunch segregationist and soon after became President of the United States. Show me a Republican with a record like that. I can come up with numerous Democrats.

I’m sick of seeing the GOP get beat up over racist allegations that have no legs. The public knows better, too.

36. RandyMiller says:

Fogle and jsm:

Funny how Robert Byrd compared the GOP to Nazi’s when he himself was a member of the KKK. And as I pointed out yesterday, what party gave birth to the KKK? It was democrats,
    they were p.o’d that Abe Lincoln (a republican)had the audacity and the nerve to interpret that slavery was wrong and it’s time had come to go.

37. Fogle says:

Konop,

I left this on your site after following the pingback and reading your post on this advertisement. Your post is pure f**king trash:

This is the worst post I’ve seen online in a while. First of all, immigration has nothing to do with the civil rights movement and moreover, you’re just using it as a red herring to cover the fact that Dems ALWAYS play the freaking race card. I can’t even believe you would lead a post with a clear ad hominem “attack.” Get a clue.

Beyond that, you have got to be so far beyond the lefty-loon line to believe that this advertisement could be justifiably “right.” Honestly.

“This piece works because it’s true?” Seriously? You must be out of your freaking mind. It is race-baiting fear-mongering garbage. Linking any actions of Governor Purdue to the atrocities committed against blacks during the Civil Rights era is not only wrong, but it’s libelous. It’s sickening.

As far as these “rampant voter suppressions,” I would love to see your evidence. And please refrain from using Cynthia McKinney quotes.

And lastly, this: “Our Black people using the race card when they complain about illegal immigrants voting in the L.A. Mayor race?” Sounds like “racism” to call them “your black people.”

38. Mad Dog says:

Given how this thread has turned into a hate feast, just as I suspected, I feel vindicated! Not that anyone cares about my feelings.

It remains that Miss Angela has a right to her point of view that the bashing of “lessor race” by Democrats with clubs back in the day is only slightly different than the paper bashing of voting rights by former Democrats turned Republican.

Cagle and Taylor can talk about the two Georgias and how we need to have ONE Georgia. But, hanging a bunch of paper with the Georgia seal all over it, aka No Vote for the Elderly in Rural Areas, highlights that we have TWO Georgias.

Metro Atlanta where everyone has to produce photo ID before breaking wind and rural Georgia where people know each other on a first name basis (and don’t break wind in public).

39. Fogle says:

“Not that anyone cares about my feelings.”

Mad Dog,

For the first – and probably last – time, we can agree on something. It’s nice to finally find our middle ground.

It’s too bad the rest of your comment is nonsense.

40. ugavi says:

Mad Dog,
    I agree Miss Angela has the right to express her opinion. Which means that other people have the right to express their opinion about the mailer and Miss Angela’s opinion.

41. Fogle says:

“You are suggesting that Georgia needs two sets of laws, one for metro, and a second for everywhere else. That makes a lot of sense.”

Or we could just annex the whole of metro Atlanta to some third world country.

42. Mad Dog says:

Fogle,

I’m just forever hooked on phonics.

You quoted John when you posted, “And lastly, this: “Our Black people using the race card when they complain about illegal immigrants voting in the L.A. Mayor race?

43. Fogle says:

“Which brings up … my point about genetics or nature vs. nuture … made way earlier in this thread.”

Kudos on the quality segue.

At any rate, I figured that I had already attacked Konop on his “racist” statement – no need to kick him while he’s down by also attacking his poor grammar.

44. Fogle says:

Konop,

Just wanted you to see what it was like to be on the other end of the liberal application of the term. See, when you apply “racism” to everything – like you and other liberals have – it isn’t that difficult to argue that pretty much anyone and everyone is a racist.

45. Fogle says:

Konop,

You said earlier today on your site that:

“Anybody stop to think that Miss Angela might be freakin right?! There is, in fact, rampant voter suppression. It is most rampant in African American communities. I think the piece works because it’s true. At least I hope it works.”

Defending “Miss Angela,” in this situation, places you just left of… I don’t know… let’s go with Louis Farrakhan.

46. John Konop says:

I was replying to Emily who said that.

I said the following;

47. Mad Dog says:

John,

If there is a Hell for you, it would be an endless airplane ride with Fogle sitting next to you.

Left side, right side. Doesn’t matter.

For Fogle, it would saying the word Liberal everytime he opens his mouth for eternity.

48. Fogle says:

Liberal, liberal, liberal, liberal, liberal…

It’s not so bad…

Liberal, liberal, liberal, liberal, liberal…

I could get used to this…

Liberal, liberal, liberal, liberal, liberal…

Oh yeah… I could definitely do this for all of eternity…

Liberal, liberal, liberal, liberal, liberal…

After the plan ride with Konop, of course…

Liberal, liberal, liberal, liberal, liberal…

49. one big D says:

In the words of a Black man that was beaten by White cops in the 1990’s, “Can’t we all just get along???”

OK maybe after Nov. 7th.