Garrett Hayes Has Up His First Ad

Booooo. Only ambulance chasers film commercials in front off a pile of law books. People running for office film their ads outside with people in a place called Georgia.

No offense intended to my libertarian friends, but the problem with this ad is that the candidate is not selling himself, he’s selling his ideology. The commercial has more the feel of a sterilized infomercial, not a campaign commercial — there’s no emotion in the ad, which is what a campaign commercial needs.

1. Chris says:

I agree it has the ambulance chaser feel to it. So, are those ambulance chaser ads successful? Given their prevalence and longevity I’d say so. Maybe this will hit those same patrons the exact same way.

2. Erick says:

Chris, the ambulance chasers are advertising turning your wreck into a check. There’s a self interest appeal there that this ad lacks.

3. Chris says:

I think the elimination of state income taxes could loosely be considered turning the wreck into a check, don’t you?

Anyway, it’s different enough from the normal fluff politicians are spewing these days that some might even see it as a blast of fresh air, without all the pretensious self righteousness. You forget how turned off the general electorate is with politics, and why.

4. atlantaman says:

Is this a real ad with an actual television buy or is it just some video they put up on youtube ala Guy Drexenger?

5. jsm says:

Does the guy ever smile? I doubt undecided Georgians are going to vote for someone who looks angry. He needs to lighten up a little.

6. atlantaman says:

I will agree that he needs to lighten up, but I’ve seen him speak and he’s definitley thought provoking. If Mr. Hayes could smile and make a few jokes (I know it’s easier said then done) he might win over a few voters.

7. Jeff Emanuel says:

In all honesty, A-Man, I’ve seen FAR more Perdue “attack” ads than Taylor up here. FAR more.

This race doesn’t pit one negative campaigner against one “honest Joe.” They’re both hitting the other where it hurts and, IMHO, Perdue’s ads are really, really bad.

There’s a market for Mr. Hayes out there if he could get some better ads up.

8. hankreardan says:

Of course we would love to spend $10000.00 to make an ad, Our budget does not allow for that.Our main goal is to get the word out there we are running.Everyone here is a political nerd. This is aimed at people who have not heard we are running.Our first buy will buy will be about 700-800 spots on cable.Remember this only the second time Libertarians have ran ads ever. We are getting better at this.We are polling between 6-9% and we have spent no money so lets see how this goes.

9. SkylerA says:

AtlantaMan, Perdue went negative first with his “Mark Taylor supports Radical Homosexual Lobby” mailer.
    Read the facts before you post.

10. atlantaman says:

“Read the facts before you post.”

I don’t know who went negative first, but I’m quite sure that wasn’t the debate. Why don’t you go back and read through the posts before you give some knee-jerk response. In a nutshell we were discussing whether Perdue has produced “more..Far more” negative televsion ads then Taylor – it all started regarding Hayes ‘television ad.

Now if you would like to discuss who went negative first I’d be happy to go down that road, but it would be an entirely new topic.

11. tiredofitall says:

I love how everyone assails negative campaigning, but in truth we must know the difference between the candidates. Without this so called “negative” campaigning everyone would be pro-family, kittens, and the American way of life. These ads show that most of the politicians are full of hot air and when in office turn their back on their supposed values. Look at MT for a second. Besides his apparent character issues, I think it is important for Georgians to know how bitterly partisan he acted in the state senate. I would rather Government work for me and my family rather than Bobby Kahn and his trial lawyer friends. BTW voting libetarian, while noble in cause, needs to be throughly examined for its actual impact on public policy.