The Politics of Fear

Let me start by saying that I am a good and true Republican.  I’ve sweated blood and tears for the cause over many, many years.

I get involved early and often and help the candidates that I feel will do the best job in leading my community, state, and country.  I have no personal agenda other than what is good and right for society as a whole.

When I read this headline, GOP to Air Ad Warning of Terror Attacks, I was very concerned.

I was in Washington, DC on 9/11.  I had friends run from the White House, Capitol Building, and elsewhere, in real fear of being caught in the day’s tragedies.

I think it’s a telling sign when a political party must resort to fear tactics to win an election.  Yes, the stakes of every election are high, and we are at a state of war against terrorists who seek to destroy our way of life; but elections should be won on the merits and not through fear and scare tactics.

Republican strategists need to rethink the strategies that they are putting forward to try and win (or minimize the losses).

1. Chris says:

You notice how the GOP love to amplify the terrorists’ voice, for their own political gain? It’s almost as if these terrorists are on payroll just for these purposes.

2. Unfortunately this is exactly what they have been doing for the last 2 election cycles.

Hopefully the American public will be more wise to what the GOP are trying to do this time around.

As our dear leader says,

“There’s an old…saying in Tennessee…I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says Fool me once ….Shame on…Shame on you…. Fool me…Can’t get fooled again.”

–George W. Bush to Nashville, Tennessee audience, Sept. 17, 2002, MSNBC-TV

3. Chris says:

Well we’ve already given up just about all our freedoms, on paper anyway, to appease these terrorists. What more do they want? We’re running out of freedoms for them to hate.

4. Rick Day says:

You know by stating this, your lifelong contacts within the GOP may think of you as a ‘liberal cut and runner’.

If that happens, please consider using your talents with the only real conservative group in the US running candidates: The LP.

I salute your bravery in pointing out the obvious. This emperor is buck-ass naked.

RD

5. CHelf says:

I’m waiting for the Dems to come out with an add based on Where’s Waldo with Mullah Omar, Osama, and Zawahiri all blending in with many American faces. You can even add Adam Gadahn in there as well. A nice caption could be…”5 years later and the murder of 3000 Americans goes unpunished”….

As long as we’re getting down in the dirt on ads….

6. Bull Moose says:

I am not a cut and run type… I think we need to finish what we started, but we must accept reality and change how we are going to accomplish our goal.

I think that James Baker is going to show us the way to correct our mistakes in the Middle East and I just hope that smarter minds will prevail.

The scare tactics just need to stop. It’s a cheap political ploy to use scare tactics to maintain political power.

7. Bull Moose says:

And if the message turns to fiscal matters, what are the campaign strategists going to do, tell us that Democrats are going to just spend, spend, spend? I mean, can it get any worse than it already is in terms of spending?

I like the idea of pay as you go tax cuts. Let’s stop deficit spending.

8. JP says:

I’m not a Republican, and as long as the GOP uses fear and to market itself, there’s no chance in living Hell that I’d ever consider being one.

Let’s not forget, this is the “Party” that preaches “Personal Responsibility,” only to see one of its own run like a baby into therapy and blaming abuse as a teenager when trouble strikes.

Embarrassing is what the GOP is these days.

9. Demonbeck says:

Bull Moose,

First, you need to check your voice mail.

Second, using scare tactics is not a tool used solely by the Republican Party. All too often we hear of our friends on the left, taking advantage of the elderly by lying about Republican stances on issues such as Medicare and Social Security funding – scaring them into thinking that if Republicans had their way, both programs would be cancelled immediately. How many years has the Democratic Party told African Americans that all Republicans are racist and would just as soon hang them high than protect their right to vote? How many other groups of people are lied to on a daily basis to gain an advantage in fear politics? Too many to name.

Now, knowing you as I do, your response will most likely be – but we should be above that, we should not stoop to that level. I agree, but you have to ask, which is more important – being right and screwed or being wrong and safe?

Let me give you an analogy…

A mom is walking out of the grocery store with her two small children and while putting her groceries in her trunk is accosted by a man with a gun. He points the gun to her son’s head and tells her to look him in the eye and tell him she has never loved him and never will, that his younger sister will always be her favorite or he will shoot him dead.

Should the woman say something she’d rather not say and save her son’s life or should she tell the truth and kill her son?

Quite obviously, this is an extreme example, but what the folks at the RNC or the NRCC or whereever have to decide is – should they stand idly by and stick to the issues and allow the opposing party to demagogue other issues in the very same way and lose – or should they demagogue other issues and give their candidates a chance to win?

In a perfect world, they wouldn’t have to. This isn’t a perfect world.

Third, there is a political party that rarely uses the politics of fear to advance their cause – the Libertarian Party. It’s why they are still considered also-rans, despite the fact that it is very likely that most Americans would probably be libertarians – in a perfect world.

10. debbie0040 says:

The bottom line is the terrorists in Iraq have escalated the attacks in order to influence the mid term elections. This has been widely reported by CNN and others.

That means the terrorists want the Democrats in control. I see nothing wrong in letting the voters know what is at stake.

The Democrats have used scare tactics many, many times in the past. Remember the seniors eating dog food? I find it hypocritical that you Dems are screaming foul now. You don’t when the Dems do it.

11. Demonbeck says:

Not to get off subject, but the above two posts show the difference between me and debbie perfectly.

12. redsouther says:

I’m sorry, but I can’t agree with that at all. And quite frankly, this is precisely why Republicans don’t win more elections. We are afraid to stand up and fight fire with fire when it comes to politics. The Dems don’t think twice about distorting truth for their gain, and yet every time the RNC finally grows a spine and speaks the real truth, we criticize them for using “scare tactics”.

The Dems are capitalizing on the fact that the apathetic, uneducated general public has such a short memory when it comes to the danger posed by Islamic fascists. Thankfully, the RNC is recognizing this and reminding people about what they so easily forget.

People need to understand the threat we face, and that the party of appeasement and defeat is not the answer.

13. Decaturguy says:

“the terrorists want the Democrats in control.”

That about sums you up Debbie, in one sentence. The escalating violence in Iraq right now is more about fighting for political control of that country and less to do with terrorism against the U.S. It is a freaking civil war!

And don’t you think the terrorists know that the easiest way to keep Republicans in power in the U.S. is to make it seem like they are trying to influence the American elections?

You are just preposterous!

14. Will Hinton says:

Unfortunately, demogoguery and fear-mongering are bipartisan. I don’t disagree that this latest ad is way over the top.

And the LP isn’t a legitimate choice yet.

15. debbie0040 says:

Decaturguy, so what you are saying is that Bush’s policies are not responsible for the escalating violence. It is the fact the the different factions have been warring for years over control?

CNN and other outlets have reported that the escalting violence is an attempt to influence the mid term elections. It is not just me saying that.

This is not the first time this has happened. Remember Spain?

16. buzzbrockway says:

Right on Will.

Democrats use stuff like “Republicans will take away your social security” and “Black Churches will burn if Republicans win.”

Republicans use terrorism.

I’m just more scared of terrorists than Republicans. 😉

17. JP says:

Debbie, the Iraqis want the occupiers out. Whether that coincides with the Democrats’ strategy ideas is irrelevant, and everyone but hard line rightists knows it.

That very allegation is made by people wanting to associate terrorists with their opponents, not by any actual association. You’ve illustrated in no uncertain terms why I’m embarrassed by the actions of the modern Republican party.

18. Mad Dog says:

Bull Moose,

I’m not sure I agree with you on this one. I think we’re pretty close to agreement. However, I truly respect your courage to stating such an opinion in public place.

I would just say that there might be a logical reason to expect terrorist attacks during critical times, like just prior to an election.

Now I’m on the hook for saying terrorists are logical, eh? That the next attack will be a timed event? And, that I can predict all that and what all.

I still think you’re right on this. Because I see your message is very clear:

“Yes, the stakes of every election are high, and we are at a state of war against terrorists who seek to destroy our way of life; but elections should be won on the merits and not through fear and scare tactics. ”

Bull Moose is right on.

19. Demonbeck says:

“Demonbeck, yes there are great differences between us, thank God. I can assure you I would never vote for you were you to seek elective office . ”

That is perfectly fine with me Debbie. I try not to burn any bridges save for the one that leads to the Road to Hell. I like how you paved it with good intentions. Nice touch!

Seriously, though, certainly you realize that your actions turn off more people than they turn on to our party. The words you spew on this site only help to get out the vote from like minded people who hardly represent the majority of America. Politics is not the art of us versus them, rather it is the art of persuading people to agree with you. People are not persuaded by people they hate.

20. debbie0040 says:

Give me a break, Demonbeck!!

Are you actually naive enough to believe that those that read and post on this site have not already made up their minds on their political afflliation and who they are voting for?

I bet you don’t like Coulter either.

21. Demonbeck says:

Debbie,

I understand that the group of folks who post o this site have preconceived notions about how they are going to feel on every issue. However, by presenting my argument to them cordially and making concessions when I am proven wrong, they will be more willing to make concessions when they are wrong as well. Debate becomes less of an ego thing and is more constructive as a result. Those who disagree with me are more willing to listen to my argument than they are to yours as a result.

Oh, and I love Ann Coulter – I believe she is witty and smart and hits the nail on the head quite often. However, I do not march in goose step with every opinion she has. I don’t think anyone should. People should be free to think for themselves without fear of retribution – which is why I have no problem with my fellow Republican Bull Moose on the points he made in this thread.

I just disagree with him. I did so politely, rebutted his points and we’ll continue to be friends tomorrow.

22. John Konop says:

Anyone who questions the lack of a realistic and comprehensive Iraq strategy is labeled a friend of fascism by the Republican leadership. House Majority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) recently said, “I wonder if [Democrats] are more interested in protecting the terrorists than protecting the American people.

23. debbie0040 says:

JP, do you refute the fact the terrrorists would rather have the Democrats in charge? They saw how the Dems react to terrorism when they are in charge. Let me refresh your memory, Mogandishu, Cole Bombing, World Trade Center Bombing,

There is a lot at stake in this election and I believe in the win at all costs philosophy.

I am not the least bit suprised you disagree with today’s GOP. You would rather have the GOP behave more the days of Nixon or Ford instead of Reagan.

I read your blog and I am embarrassed that you call yourself a Republican. Progressive is just another name for liberal.

24. debbie0040 says:

The answer is not to elect Democrats. You defeat big spenders in the GOP Primary.

Unfortanately, we sometimes have to choose the lesser of the evils.

25. debbie0040 says:

You keep trying. Look at the Cobb School Board and what happened in the primaries. The big spenders RINO’s are gone.

26. ugavi says:

John,
    Do you honestly believe that electing a democrat will help? Or doe you think the wasting your vote on a libertarian will help?

The challenge for both parties is finding qualified candidates to run at all levels (that’s not a shot at you). Most people do not want to put up with the level of BS and negative attacks that you have to deal with as a candidate. As Debbie said the best place to have a real impact is in the primaries. I do understand that the deck is stacked in favor of incumbents. I honestly don’t know how to fix that.

27. Bill Simon says:

Debbie,

You really need to stop watching Bill O’Reilly so much.

Stop and THINK for just one moment: Terrorists don’t sit around and watch the calendar and say “Ooh, mid-term elections are coming-up….let’s put on a show for America.”

They don’t give a flying patooty about who runs America…they don’t care about the democrativ proscess, much less understand it. Nor do they watch TV and know what the hell is happening in America.

28. Bill Simon says:

Demonbeck,

While there may be a difference bewtween you and Debbie in posting logic, let’s revisit your statement of “you have to ask, which is more important – being right and screwed or being wrong and safe?”

All I gotta ask is: Would Jesus agree with your logic in the case of the election?

More to the point, do you actually believe that we will lose enough seats in the House and Senate to give the Dems any kind of constitutional majority to override any veto Bush gave any of their kooky bills if the RNC DOESN’T engage in these kinds of tactics?

29. John Konop says:

UGAV

I am not a politician or a Party insider. I make my comments without as much invested in the Party as Buzz or Debbie. I am just a Business guy with a family.

All I know in the business world for my industry I have a good record turning around a failed business or product lines.

Most people know when something is not working. Yet it is hard to change behavior unless people hit bottom. That is why I think a runoff would send a message to the State Party to change without hitting rock bottom. I do understand Buzz and Debbie fears of a runoff.

I would then hope someone like Buzz would that be elected head of the State Party. Buzz and I do not agree on all the issues, yet he is open to having the debate happen in the Party.

The reason I ran was too give a voice to the frustrated wing of fiscally conservative Republicans. I got about 30% of the vote in Cherokee and 20% for the 6th district with my 100k to Tom Price spending 2 million.

The strange part is Party leaders blame me for the lack of people showing up at Cherokee County CCRP meetings now. Yet they gave a standing ovation during my Debate with Tom Price supporting pork spending like the Highway Bill with close to 200 people in the crowd.

When they send out e-mails attacking me what would you think if you’re a fiscal conservative? All I am saying is what many people think. The more they attack me it has only grown my support. The strange part I have not endorsed anyone. You cannot have it both ways and treat us like dirt and the say help me. BTW that behavior is not just directed at me. That is why I say BUZZ 2007

30. debbie0040 says:

I have disagreements with the way the State party is running things.

The way to change that is not by voting Libertarian and taking a chance there is a runoff. What if the polls are wrong and Taylor wins it outright?

You address those grievances at the State Convention in 2007. That is the proper venue.

I understand how disappointed you in the way the State Party treated you . I thought it was wrong. I don’t believe it was an effort to protect Tom Price. I believe the overall objective was to protect Sonny Perdue and they had to do the same for all incumbents.

The Cobb GOP posted all candidates on their web site. I do not believe in incumbent protection in the Primary. I believe all that pay their qualifying fee to the GOP should be treated equally.

I do, however, think that Tom Price has done a good job. The House did come to their senses and tried to bring spending under control in the last session. I believe the House GOP heard the grumblings from their political based and changed course.

If the House had not taken a strong stand against amnesty for illegal immigrants, the McCain Kennedy Immigration Bill would have passed and be law now.

31. JP says:

Debbie, who said I call myself a Republican?

You say ‘progressive is liberal’ like liberal’s a bad thing? Sorry, can’t agree with you there. You can have your backwards GOP.

32. John Konop says:

debbie

Debbie.

I am not making this about Tom Price.

But you have hard time telling a fiscal Conservatives like me why I should support a Congressman that voted for Highway Bill, Energy Bill, Drug Bill. No Child Left Behind, 9 trillion dollar debt ceiling…..

Laura Ingram said on her radio show “I am a conservative before being a Republican

33. Chris says:

I’ll add that the Dem habit of calling the GOP racist is one of the reasons I drifted from them, especially with how the national Dems consider the entire South to be racist. That probably had more influence than anything else that drove me toward the libertarians.

And as much as I loathe the voter suppression tactics used by the GOP in minority districts, I can’t consider those actions “racist” because if a majority of those minorities voted GOP, the suppression wouldn’t happen, at all. It’s prejudiced behavior alright, but against one’s politics, rather than one’s color.

34. debbie0040 says:

Why should you vote GOP for Congressman? How about Nancy Pelosi as SOH?

Do you really think the Dems would hold down spending? If the Dems take control, we would be grabbing our pocketbooks because the taxes would start rising..

35. Bull Moose says:

I’m glad that I could start such a healthy discussion… But I have to ask, are you seriously going to believe that by not voting Republican means that someone wants terrorists to win?

I mean, have we really dropped to that level?

If so, then that’s really sad.

36. Chris says:

Debbie, the current GOP is letting tens to hundreds of billions of dollars just vanish, no accountability, no records, no investigations. Why do you seem to think this is OK? Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe if spending was married to some accountability, there wouldn’t be near the fiscal crisis we have today.

And do you honestly, really think it’s ok to keep mortgaging our country to China in order to keep letting billions just disappear into thin air?

37. John Konop says:

debbie

I will answer your question, if you tell me how a record like Tom Price on spending is conservative? Why should he stop spending my money if I vote for him? Hey he made it clear the Highway bill is “good fiscal policy”

38. buzzbrockway says:

John,

I’m flattered you think I’d make a good State GOP Chair, but I’ve got to nip this in the bud. I have no desire to seek any office within the State GOP. 🙂

Buzz

39. JP says:

Re: the original topic–

Perhaps if we had responded to 9/11 with a truly CONSERVATIVE strategy–attacking and capturing Bin Laden successfully, immediately tightening border and port security–rather than the reactionary one we selected, we wouldn’t be in this Iraq fiasco in the first place.

The far right got us into this mess, and the fact that they are unable to unify public opinion using lies and distortions is not the public’s or the left’s fault.

FURTHERMORE, America has woken up to realize that we are cutting off our own strategic options by arguing that the only alternative to “stay the course” is “cut and run.” Even the Baker study group is stating that outright. To continue to make that argument is to continue to politicize what should be a strategic decision. How long is it going to take for the GOP to realize that their act isn’t going over anymore?

40. Demonbeck says:

Bill,

Per your questions:

1. First, are you admitting to believing in Jesus? Second, Jesus is not an American citizen and therefore is not afforded the right to vote by our laws, but I think that given the moral dilemna, he would likely choose to be right and screwed. He did choose to suffer under Pontius as any good Christian or Jew for Jesus knows. I just do not have the moral fortitude that Jesus has/had and therefore choose the selfish route to elect imperfect politicians. Should Jesus attain American citizenship or sneak by the SoS’s watchful eye and get on the ballot, I would be eager to vote early and often for Him.

2. No I don’t, but I don’t want to afford the Dems the right to leadership either. While some believe that by purging the Republican Party of the majority will help cleanse itself of its problems, I do not.

41. debbie0040 says:

I said the terrorists wanted the Democrats to win.

Your last comments were well said Demonbeck and I agree.

42. Decaturguy says:

Debbie, you are a wacked out talking points machine. Trying to scare people into thinking Nancy Pelosi will be the Speaker just doesn’t work. Most people don’t even know who the hell she is. But they certainly know they don’t want that slob, Dennis Hastert, to remain Speaker.

And may I remind some of you, in Georgia, not so long ago, many said a vote for the GOP was a waste of your vote. Voting Libertarian this year may just send a strong message that there is room for a fiscally conservative, socially Libertarian party in this state and make both parties try to go after that vote.

It might be a good thing. Who cares about Mark Taylor vs. Sonny Perdue?

43. Bill Simon says:

Demonbeck,

1) I’m asking YOU if it would be what Jesus would do…I am not, in that statement, acknowledging anything about my belief in him as God.

2) So, you don’t believe purging should occur after 6 years of binging by the GOP. Do you think one day the GOP leadership will rear its head up and say “Heyyyy….., we’ve been violating our party edicts….let’s go back to our principles and start acting in an honest manner…”

Is that what you are waiting on, Demon? That, and for Hell to freeze over, I guess… 🙂

44. John Konop says:

Debbie

Now that you have no defense for the Spending and immigration that takes us to our Countries security policy.

Since we have no plan real to enforce our immigration laws and secure our borders, why should I feel safe.

We have let in around 2 million felons from mainly Mexico and Central America who are part of the murder mayhem from the Mexican and Central America Gangs. Now this group of gangs has terrorized our Country with meth, Child slave prostitution, Rape…….. But if that is not enough they bring in terrorist with weapons.

So what was your point about National security?

45. John Konop says:

debbie

This from the MM at the border.

At the same time a Homeland Security Report Confirms Hezbollah Has Already Entered through the Porous Mexico-U.S. Border.

But didn’t Congress pass the Secure Fences Act of 2006 authorizing funds for that fence? And didn’t the President sign it into law?

No… That is just a nice election year fable.

Here is the truth…

Yes, the Secure Fences Act of 2006 which passed both houses of Congress — is sitting in some “In Box

46. Demonbeck says:

No, Bill, I believe change must come from within. The “Revolution of ’94” did not ultimately produce a shining city on a hill.

We as consultants, lobbyists and volunteers must demand it from the candidates we cover, persuade or promote. Redirecting our focus will not come as the result of a narrow defeat or as a slim minority. It will come from the collective voices of the populace.

The reason we as a party have gotten fat at the trough these 12 years is the same reason that McDonald’s sells all those hamgburgers. It makes us happy and fat and it’s easy to sell to the voters at home.

47. Chris says:

It ain’t gonna come from within, and it’s like expecting an alcoholic to stop drinking or a smoker to stop smoking strictly because everybodythey care about says it’s bad for them. Yea good luck with that.

The law would purge half the corruption from Washington if it was actually enforced, and spare you all the futile effort of trying to clean up your own party’s act from within.

48. Bill Simon says:

Demonbeck,

The thing you don’t understand is that IF all this garbage was going on in a Democratically-run Congress, you’d be ALL in favor of a change and running out the rats.

Because you’re a Kool-Aid-drinking-partisan-Republican-who-cares-more-about-some-fantasy-world
    of all Republicans being “better people” just because they are Republicans, you are unable to see the forest for the trees.

49. Mad Dog says:

Debbie,

In my most humble opinion, the terrorists are better off with the so-called conservatives and neo-cons in power.

I regret using the “conservative” word in such a broad way.

My analysis of the most recent successful attack on the Twin Towers and the more or less failed truck bombing (1992) leads me to believe that neo-cons or conservatives react in a more predictable fashion than those labeled “cut and run liberals.”

I don’t see 9-11 as a typical terrorism act, if there is such a thing. No one claimed responsibilty immediately after. No ‘communication’ followed the attack or was made ‘with’ the attack. Usually, terrorists have some ‘goal’ — if not a rational goal by my standards — in making a successful attack.

The successful terrorist attack is followed by ‘statements’ about the goals or goal.

In my opinion, the attack on the Twin Towers was a counter-intelligence operation in an ongoing non-traditional conflict.

If the US military response had stopped in Afghanistan, a modest response, responsive by proportion, with a direct relation to the events of 9-11, and rational by international standards, then the US would have had support among international leadership.

I have and had proposed a division of Iraq along the existing no fly zones, with an international administration of key Iraqi oil facilities to be held until Iraq reaches stability. If it reaches stability.

Since I’m not a candidate, nor likely to ever be one, no one gives a hoot about the proposal or giving me credit for it.

A divided Iraq, more or less along the previously existing no fly zones, which had become semi-autonomous, would get the troops home.

But, Georgie boy wanted to stay the course … cause we’re making good progress … we have to show the terrorists our resolve! … and he just can’t admit a mistake.

The first step is to say, I’m an alcoholic. Ops. Wrong first step.

The next first step is saying, it was a mistake. Our plan a disaster. We’ve lost control and lost it very early in the operation. Nothing we knew before invasion and occupation has proven true. Our premises were flawed. Our military wasted. Our troops heroic. But, Iraq is not a typical western civilization. Our Western and European notion of how states should evolve does not work there. We cannot make the people within the old border of Iraq into a nation with a gun.

No matter how big the gun or how brave and persistent our soldiers.

Partition the remains of Iraq. Give regional leaders the mess. Get the hell out like the Brits did in India. Let the people slaughter each other until only the peaceful ones remain.

Then, accept the blood on our hands for fucking it all up.

50. defnotrep says:

I think BullMoose, John Konop, JP, and Will Hinton are thoughtful Republican conservatives.

Debbie I think you are a hack.

51. defnotrep says:

By the way, this ad is only supported by a $20,000.00 media buy. Repub party hoping for play on news, editorials, etc.

Kind of smart I think.

52. JP says:

Debbie, let’s not get into a semantic ballet.

“I don’t see where anyone inferred that by not voting Republican you wanted the terrorists to win. I said the terrorists wanted the Democrats to win.”

If you’re carefully avoiding saying that, others aren’t. Either way, I don’t base my vote on what the terrorists want or don’t want. I vote based on what’s best for my country, and right now it’s pretty clear that means I am not voting Republican.

In the meantime, I see you didn’t respond to my comments about the original topic. Thanks, Bull, for reading them. I’m trying to massage that into a “Statement.”

53. John Konop says:

defnotrep

I think I read the famous LBJ ad ran only a few times paid against Goldwater, and the media is who got it out. I think you are right, it looks like the same idea.

54. defnotrep says:

Yep very smart.

I think people pay more attention to something played on the news, talked about on the radio, editorials, etc than they do paid ad buys.

I read somewhere would run like 5 times.

The only thing, the Dems, could run a similar ad with similar visuals and say where are they, still not captured, so could be slippery slope that way.

55. IndyInjun says:

Bush is happy.

He has Saddam’s pistol in his desk as a trophy, soon to be joined by the noose used to hang Hussein.

He will have his revenge leaving us with a $trillion war debt, added to many $trillions more in new debt he ran up, and a quagmire.

I thought we learned the lessons of Vietnam.

Bush didn’t. He was nowhere to be found.

This voter is in favor of cutting and running – from the GOP.

56. defnotrep says:

IndyInjun,

That’s a very good line. lol

Cut and Run from the GOP….the liberal spending, cowboy foreign policy and war.

57. Demonbeck says:

“Change must come from within? From within the party that thinks spending cuts means to fire the investigators trying to hold them accountable? From within the party that changes rules on a whim to obtain their desired results, an example being the way the Medicare bill was passed? From within the party who has repeatedly demonstrated it cannot and will not police itself, and hides behind national secrets and screams of partisanship when others try to enforce the laws they so cavalierly toss aside?”

Chris, reread what you wrote and tell me with sincerity that you don’t think the Democrats do the same damn thing.

Bill,

I may be a kool aid drinker, and I may be wrong, but I think the problem within the Republican Party starts with our leadership. Boehner is a step in the right direction and after this election, should the R’s hold the House – a good portion of leadership should be removed. THAT is the change that should come from within.

58. JP says:

All the Democrats need to do is run the very same ad the GOP is running now, but instead of “These are the stakes” the end should feature the banner “MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.”

After all, Bin Laden really is dead or alive.