Protest Votes, Pre-Mortems, and Discontented Conservatives.

The media is saturated with reports of impending doom for the Republicans. This news is greeted with “they deserve to lose” by a number of Conservatives less than thrilled with their party’s performance in office. Some bloggers have gone so far as to start writing “pre-mortems” on what went wrong for the GOP in the November elections.

Here in Georgia, while things look good for the GOP, some are still planning to protest what they consider the steaming pile of you-know-what by voting Libertarian or just staying home.

I told you of conversations I’ve had with some disguntled GOPers. Furthermore, with Garrett Hayes polling at between 3% and 9% (he received 2.3% of the vote in 2002), it’s clear to me this discontent is not just an issue for the National Republicans, but Georgia Republicans as well.

Some have put forward the idea that it’s best for Republicans to lose now in order to win later. This is ludicrous.

Captain Ed says it well:

Elections are about choices. Responsible voters have to recognize not just their rights, but also their responsibilities. A vote for a Democrat is a vote for their caucus control and all of the policies that will bring, which is responsible if you support those policies and that particular candidate. (I’ve voted for a handful of Democrats before, although none lately.) If that vote gets cast for the purpose of scolding Republicans, that’s not just irresponsible, it’s a waste. Parties do not necessarily improve by being cast out of power — and if one wants to see an example, just look at the Democrats today compared to the Democrats in 1994 in terms of policy and tone. Sitting out in a fit of pique is even less responsible; it just allows the voter to feel vindicated that their non-choice alleviates them from any blame for what follows afterward.

I realize some Republicans are thinking of voting Libertarian and then supporting Perdue in a runoff. As I stated in the comments on this thread I think that’s a risky tactic for Republicans to take. If you want to vote Libertarian because you support Hayes’ issues then by all means do so, but to vote for Hayes to protest Sonny fits in with Captain Ed’s comments above.

1. GaChick says:

Conservatives should be discontented. This crew in power in the State and nationally are not real conservatives. We’ve got massive spending under them complete with sweetheart deals for themselves and their cronies. Doesn’t bode well for the well-intentioned fiscal consevatives, does it?

2. RandyMiller says:

Buzz,

It always seems as if a good amount of people that say they’ll vote libertarian actually end up voting republican when they close the curtain.
    The real odds kind of stare them in the face, it’s reality time, and they know the risk if the other guy gets it. I am more libertarian than republican, much more, but I have to face facts and to me I’d be wasting my vote. And also I can respect the view from a very progressive liberal’s stance if there’s a socialist or a green on the ballot, they’d vote democract. Same thing.

3. JRM2016 says:

Vote early and vote GOP. We have a strong ticket in our state and no reasons to turn them out (as perhaps some may argue we do at the national level).

As far as federal races go (for those of you in the 8th and 12th CDs), just keep in mind a vote for a Democrat is a vote for:

Speaker Nancy Pelosi
    House Judiciary Chairman John Conyers
    House Ways & Means Chairman Charlie Rangel

These folks don’t represent our values, small government, less spending, tax relief and a strong foreign policy.

Vote GOP early and often this Fall.

4. John Konop says:

Buzz,

As you know I have a lot of respect for you and I am sure you did a great job as a Party Chairman. In fact if you ran the state Party, I do think this would not be an issue.

I am a member of the well respected Conservative think tank Madison Forum. The question that comes up is if we vote for candidates that are not really conservative are we not being an enablers?

As you Know both Parties set the system up to be nothing more than an incumbency protection program. They fix the districts and stifle any disagreements.

I am not saying all Republicans feel this way. And I am not making this about Sonny Perdue. I am just explaining why about 20% of Republicans feel frustrated enough to seat out or vote Libertarian.

BTW they are many conservative well known writers who are saying the same thing.

5. Big Mack says:

I am not happy with all things Republican; but I will never be happy with anything that is democratic. Don’t take a chance. Vote Republican and then let’s do something about the things that cause us to have misgivings.

6. debbie0040 says:

I know many members of the group Konop mentions. They are long time, well respected Republican activists that are just fed up and are willing to sacrifice to make change take place. They are all good people.

I have also heard the same sentiments from activists not associated with this group or any other group.

I am voting for Perdue because there is no way I want any chance of Gov. Mark Taylor.

I believe we should use the GOP Primary to oust these RINOs. It may take time to defeat them, but it just takes a little patience. Some RINOs in other states were defeated this time.

If the poll numbers are correct then 20% of GOP activists voting Libertarian will not have a great impact. The worst that would happen is that there is a runoff. Perdue would win a runoff. But, what if the poll numbers are wrong?

Look at the angry groups out there. You have the flaggers, you have teachers, you have angry fiscal conservatives, you angry GOP activists….

Anything could happen and that is why I am not taking chances. I am voting for Perdue.

7. Chris says:

You know if everybody who thought about voting Libertarian actually voted libertarian, we’d have a sizeable political earthquake in this state that would rattle both parties to clean up their acts if they ever want to reclaim those lost votes.

I’d settle for a viable third party myself so as to have more of a choice than simply the lesser of two evils. The only way to get that is to actually vote for it.

8. jsm says:

Martha Zoller interviewed a couple Libertarians this morning–the Hall County Libertarian Party Chairman and someone from the Georgia Libertarian Party. (sorry, I was working and didn’t pay close attention to their names)

One thing in particular really bothered me. When asked about illegal immigration, the Libertarian answer was essentially, “Let the feds handle it.” What?! Basically, their stance on illegal immigration is to do nothing at the state level. Judging from the performance of the federal government thus far, I think this is irresponsible.

Because the US Constitution says nothing against states handling this issue, I think we need to enact laws that make Georgia the last place illegals want to settle. Get them to move to other states, and let other states, and eventually the feds, handle it from there.

I have other issues with the Libertarian viewpoint, but this one really resonated with me today. I’m voting Republican in November, because the GOP is still closest to my ideology.

As disgusted as I am with my party, I will not sit out or vote against them to make a point. The loser would be me. I will vote my conscience and start working toward recruiting candidates with some common sense for the 2008 primary. I hope you will, too.

9. buzzbrockway says:

John,

Thanks for your kind words.

I understand lots of people are discontent, heck, I’m upset about a number of things, but like Debbie said I think, as a Republican, it should be dealt with in the primary.

For example, you didn’t like some things about Tom Price so you ran against him. I respect that. I think you brought some issues to the forefront in the minds of the voters and that’s a good thing.

I just can’t see risking a Taylor victory, or Democratic control of the Congress to prove a point.

10. Jason Pye says:

It is a federal issue because it has everything to do with the national defense.

11. Chris says:

Well I differ with Jason in that I don’t like the thought of the feds crashing the neighborhoods trying to round up illegals, and making us all stand in line to prove we’re NOT illegals by requiring us to have our papers on us at all times. Don’t like it one bit.

12. Chris says:

What about the economics? So far these federal raids have pretty much destroyed commerce in the areas they were conducted in. How prosperous do you suppose these ghost towns are now?

13. John Konop says:

Chris,

1 in 12 illegals is a felons. The biggest domestic crime problem is Mexican and Central American gangs killing families with METH.

The same GANGS are in bed with the terrorist trying to bring in weapons.

Let say we have 20 million illegals, that means we have about 1.6 to 1.8 millions felons from mainly Mexico and Central America.

DO YOU GET THE PROBLEM!

14. Jason Pye says:

I am not saying that by any means.

I am saying that it’s a federal issue in the sense that they need to be guarding the borders.

I oppose any type of national ID.

15. Chris says:

I don’t know why you would think the GOP is going to do anything to restore security at the borders, given their push for a North American Union. Both the Mexican and Canadian borders will be dissolved by 2012 (or thereabouts). That’s for both John and Jason.

And no John, I see alot of melodramatic hysteria, but not much reality in what you have to say regarding the danger posed by illegals. I realized there are a few hispanic gangs that are particularly violent, and many more urban gangs made up of asians, blacks, whites, hispanics, and others, you name it. It’s a sympton of urban decay and not any specific immigration issue.

16. Jason Pye says:

Uhhhh, what the hell are you talking about? The GOP has been a failure on border issues.

17. Chris says:

Actually I wasn’t clear with that statement. Both parties have no intentions to secure the borders, and the GOP fence idea is flat out pandering to appease people like you and John with no real solutions on the table. I could have said so more clearly to dissuade faith in either of the two entrenched parties to ever address this issue with any seriousness. Which is reason enough not to vote for either.

18. Jason Pye says:

Immigration isn’t a huge issue to me, like it is to John.

I’m more concerned with the infringements on personal and economic liberty that the GOP has committed.

19. hankreardan says:

JSM That was me on air today.I really like when some of yor Republicans call up and said I changed thier minds and they were going to vote Libertarians.If you Republicans would keep you house in order you would not continue to lose people to the Libertarians. JSM all I think is you should vote for the best candidate.This time I believe it is Garrett Hayes but next time if your candidate is the best choice I will vote that way(ie run off) The republican need to try and find out why the Libertarian are doing well and you are losing vote to us. I believe it is because you have lost you Goldwater ways.

20. CHelf says:

Buzz and Erick should remember me being one of the discontented all the way back from 2002. I’ve seen the writing on the wall for some time. Back then I was shunned and turned away as more or less being a traitor for speaking out against this sliding away from GOP and conservative values.

For those who like to throw Pelosi out there, here is a point from you. If all you have to win support or keep support is tossing out the wonderful people from the other side, then you are part of the reason we are in this shape. We’ve lost our way because we’ve turned away from what we stand for. We’ve done nothing but made our issues and platform all about how the Dems are worse or how the Dems offer nothing. In the meantime, we’ve seen mediocrity and a straying from our values. And if questioned, the only response has been how worse it could be or Speaker Pelosi, President Hillary, etc. Wow…what a high caliber logical argument….stagnant mediocrity or misguided liberalism. Can I pick Door Number Three Monty?

I’m told that I should vote Republican to keep us in power and then fix it later. Well as I said, I’ve been trying to fix this for about 4 years and so have many others. People who think there is a problem are pushed to the side as trouble-makers and nothing gets done. As a matter of fact regression is the word of the day. It is getting worse. While I have not decided how I will vote, I will say that telling me how Speaker Pelosi will be is not winning my support and sympathy.

The people of the party are disgruntled because clearly there is a loss of agenda, motive, goals, and principles. If the leadership wants people to turn out and vote, here’s some free advice….try returning home and sticking with why you were elected in the first place. Don’t try to woo me by scaring me with how much more the other side is worse.

I went back in history to see how we came to power back in ’94. I looked at the contract and some of the speeches given by the up and coming of the GOP then. Oh how we digress. In the 12 years I will refer to as the Dirty Dozen, we have seen corruption that was prevalent in the Democratic Party pop up in the GOP. We have seen spending increase. That Department of Education that was supposed to be eliminated with local control of schools? Try bracing it up and building onto it with NCLB with even tighter DC control of local schools. I can go on preaching and preaching.

The point is, don’t come crying to those who are pissed calling them traitors or gving in, or whatever. Remember how we got to this point in the first place. For the first time in quite some time, we have the chance to control and influence three branches of government and turn this country back around. In 12 years we have not only returned it how we found it like good little Boy Scouts, but we’ve tacked on a little extra on the negative side as well.

So don’t blame me if there is a Speaker Pelosi and don’t blame anyone else who might have stayed home, voted Libertarian, etc. It is clear as day who the fault lies with. What will be interesting is how the leadership responds. In these next two and a half weeks, will they even attempt to right the ship? Or if we lose, will they learn the lesson? Or will the blame game roll through taking casualties left and right?

21. debbie0040 says:

I may have disagreements with Perdue on some of his decisions, but the bottom line is he has done a decent job. Look at what he inherited.

I am not going to let my disagreements effect my judgement when I vote.

I urge you disgruntled Republicans to re-think the strategy of voting Libertarian then voting Perdue in the runoff. It might not go to a runoff.

Imagine how Mark Taylor winning would set back the GOP.

There is a lot at stake in this election and it is not just about one person….

22. John Konop says:

CHELF,

That is what I am hearing. I do think an honest conversation about the issues would make the party stronger in the long run. The put your head in the sand strategy will only push more people away.

23. CHelf says:

John,

That’s the point. The leadership refuses to talk about the issues. Instead all we get is scare tactics…you know what we blasted Dems for in the past? Scaring seniors, talking down the economy, etc? If it was stupid for Dems to use fear to scare people to or from the polls, why is it suddenly smart? I’m not hearing what the GOP is good for and what the GOP will do. Instead all I hear is that if the Dems win, gays will marry in droves and take over the government, illegals will flow freely across the border and turn us into one giant Mexico, taxes will be raised across the board, Osama himself will appear in the US to detonate a nuclear device, etc.

24. John Konop says:

jsm

I was being serious about someone like Buzz to run the Party. The root problem is both Parties protecting incumbents and not having open honest debate about issues. If the issues are vented out within the party fairly, we would have a stronger message.

When the Party eliminates voices and labels them as disloyal, what else would you expect to happen?

I have run multiple successful companies as well as turned failed companies around. The first rule you learn is do not believe your own PR. And next most of the workers know the issues; it is management job to listen. Do not blame the workers for not listening to customers.

25. defnotrep says:

John Konop,

I agree with you on immigration. You said it all quite well I thought.

I also agree with Chris. If the discontented in both parties voted Libertarian it would shake things up.

As it is now, politicians especially in Congress and the GA legislature, usually have such safe seats they don’t have to talk to anyone.

26. IndyInjun says:

I have told EVERY GOP officeholder that I have met lately that I don’t understand HOW they can stand to bear the Republican label.

I decided that a “D” on a ballot meant DAMNED to DEFEAT in the 70’s. Soon thereafter all of the pols in my county followed me to the GOP.

NOW I feel exactly the same way about the GOP.

The GOP has totally betrayed us all and deserves utter defeat.

My county commission chairman said he understands my frustration but that I have “no place to go.”

In other words the GOP is telling us “Up Yours!”

I will either sit home of vote a straight Democratic ticket for the first time in my life on November 7. Ten years ago this would have been inconceivable.

These imposters are not conservatives and they worship the power they have had from being in the majority.

They need to be thrown out as abruptly as they came in.

MANY conservative voters feel this way.

Maybe we get some unpleasant leadership for 2 or 4 years, but we simply cannot reward deception, dishonesty, and corruption that seems to be well on the way to eclipsing Teapot Dome.

You folks in the GOP need to get a grip and decide whether you stand for anything at all. Most of your elected officials have stabbed us all in the back and YOU wish to reward them with more terms in office?

America may not survive your irresponsibility.

27. jsm says:

Indy,

Why replace bad with worse? You’re not getting the whole picture. No matter what, you’re “rewarding” SOMEBODY with a term in office. Just because someone did a bad job, you don’t replace them with someone who will do worse.

Will America survive your irresponsibility in voting for the worse?

28. kevin35 says:

Now, Now sorry but I need to step up in the debate regarding the race in Nov. If a person is upset that no Republican in House District 22 has done a thing for them in 20 years votes for me, I will not grow horns and give in to the far left. I would think from my web page and if you heard my speech at a forum or talked to me then over the past 12 years I have floated to the middle. I will not vote to raise your taxes or anything you think might happen the first day I am elected in the Georgia State House. There has not been a Dem in Cherokee in 20 years so do not blame me for anything that has happened on the state level or federal level. I am a concerned citizen who wants to do something and if I brought a two party race for the first so be it. I support cracking down on the illegals and if a company and a town turns into a ghost town who hired Americans at one time then its on the company. I support the ideas not the party sometime but to say vote straight part ticket in Nov is the best thing cause all Dems will allow things to happen, I bet did not hear my Cagle Farm speech. To the bloggers who discount Buzz that’s on you but I know a large group of Republicans who voted for Mike Jacobs for the Georgia State House in 2004 and will do the same in 2006. I say talk to a group of people who did the vote switch in 2004 and see if the made a bad choice. Like my first couple of lines went its not my fault Cherokee is in the mess it is now and I have a “D” next to my name for 2006.

I think for the people posting here saying there are just a few gangs and its justified and how nothing bad comes from illegals or the flow from Mexico then read the study on the border.

29. IndyInjun says:

JSM,

You missed the point.

Now the GOP IS the WORST choice.

I hope they barely hold onto Congress to give us real Americans time enough to clean them/you out in 2008.

Go back and read the GOP’s platforms, creed, and Contract with America. Those promises are the reasons that the GOP gained ascendancy.

They are the definition of what the GOP purports to be and the party deserves another chance to hold to them.

HOWEVER, the GOP incumbents who trashed them will find me a farm more determined enemy than the Dems.

30. debbie0040 says:

JUBILANT DEMOCRATS SHOULD RECONSIDER their order for confetti and noisemakers. The Democrats, as widely reported, are expecting GOP-weary voters to flock to the polls in two weeks and hand them control of the House for the first time in 12 years — and perhaps the Senate, as well. Even some Republicans privately confess that they are anticipating the election-day equivalent of Little Big Horn. Pardon our hubris, but we just don’t see it.

Our analysis — based on a race-by-race examination of campaign-finance data — suggests that the GOP will hang on to both chambers, at least nominally. We expect the Republican majority in the House to fall by eight seats, to 224 of the chamber’s 435. At the very worst, our analysis suggests, the party’s loss could be as large as 14 seats, leaving a one-seat majority. But that is still a far cry from the 20-seat loss some are predicting. In the Senate, with 100 seats, we see the GOP winding up with 52, down three

31. CHelf says:

John Konop – Thank you for your comments.

JSM – I’ve given my opinion on solutions until I’m blue in the face and hands are numb from typing and writing. I’ve worked for people who I thought would make a better difference and groups as well. I’ve made my feelings known and given my own ideas on several items. If you see my point here, what I’ve basically stated is that what I’ve said was essentially ignored. Quite a bit of what I stated in the past to be wrong or leading down the wrong path has come true.

You want to know what my simplest solution is to resolve this? For the elected officials and leadership to actually listen to the people who put them in power. That’s the first solution that would solve quite a bit of this. Second one? Stick to conservative principles. I’ve dumbed this down quite a bit but since these basic concepts and what these people ran on in the first place cannot even be followed, one has to wonder just how genius these people up top really are.