Question for the learned readers of Peach Pundit

Insider Advantage tells us that Perdue’s support dropped 6 points since they last polled. Baxter and Galloway postulate the cause of Perdue’s drop is Mark Taylor’s negative ads. However, Taylor’s ads present no new information. In fact, the subject of Taylor’s ads (Perdue’s land purchase and tax break) have been covered extensively by Baxter’s and Galloway’s paper, and every other paper and media outlet in Georgia. Editorial writers have also editorialized on the subject, offering various opinions. In fact, you could say Taylor’s ads are old news.

Given the extensive media coverage of this issue, why didn’t Perdue’s support drop when the story broke some time ago? Why did Perdue only drop after Taylor started running ads on the subject? Did people think the media was lying and it took Mark Taylor to give the story legs?

1. CHelf says:

Could it be from the whole AJC debacle? It’s a stretch but not far fetched. Quite a few people looked at Sonny differently after that. It’s the only thing he’s really taken some heat for in the past few weeks.

2. blazer says:

If Sonny is slowing down because of the land deal and the tax cut, I would tend to agree with Baxter and Galloway, simply because I think that Taylor’s ads are reaching a hell of a lot more people than either paper could dream of reaching…

3. You have to admit, Taylor’s ads do a VERY good job of distilling the whole land deal/tax issue down to their core in 30 seconds (90 seconds total).

The other thing is, we are constantly reminded that AJC subscriptions are on the way down. Certainly some people read the paper (and probably total readership is up thanks to the free internet version) but more people get their info from TV ads than the newspaper.

Just think about it, every business in America uses broadcast television ads to enhance their business, and it is generally the best way for them to do it. Taylor (and every other politician) are just saying what works for business will work for me.

I also agree with Towery that Perdue’s response ad is weak and only ads to the attention.

Does anyone remember that Perdue rat video with the hick saying “Barnes is eating filet mignon while the poor man is eating pork and beans”? I could barely understand the dude, but the point was Perdue is a man of the people. On the ad he admits that he bought land in Florida worth $2 million. If your positive image of Perdue was based largely on the fact that he is “one of us” and then he goes up on TV and brags about the fact that he bought $2 million of land and he’ll sell it to Mark Taylor for $10 million…well that’s just stupid of him.

4. Brian from Ellijay says:

The Taylor campaign has brought the issue to every dinner table in Georgia, well in most media markets at least.

No papers have as much penetration as 30 sec ads during the 6 o clock news and throughout the rest of the day. While grassroots has its place, truly it comes down to a strong media buy with spoty commericals that brand.

5. John Konop says:

I think the libertarian alternative has to play in the equation. It is not like Taylor numbers are growing. The negatives advertisement on both sides is pushing people to Hayes. I would not be surprised if Hayes gets 6% to 10 % of the vote. That would account for a 6 % drop.

I think the media is being thrown off by the growth of numbers for Hayes.

6. rightofcenter says:

Perhaps I’m in the minority on this one, but I would rather see more polls that substantiate a drop in support for Perdue and a corresponding increase in Taylor’s before I speculate about the effectiveness of a campaign. As has been well documented on this site, IA’s track record isn’t too good.

7. CobbGOPer says:

Let’s not forget that Towery/IA is also a subscription site. Of course he wants his poll to stand out so more people hit his site and possibly sign up. It’s about money. That’s why I don’t like to put alot of stock in what his polls say.

8. debbie0040 says:

Voters are tired of negative ads. I have had co-workers tell me that they wished Perdue had stayed above the fray.

I think people are looking at Libertarians now. I hate to say this, but I think that the Libertarians will receive more votes this year than they have in the past.

I think, in the end, Perdue will emerge victorious. Angry GOPers will get over their anger once they realize that the alternative is Gov. Mark Taylor and that will prove unacceptible .

9. Jeff Emanuel says:

Debbie’s first is a good explanation. The support for Perdue among folks who didn’t know him, had never met him, and weren’t familiar with his campaign staff were mostly supportive, even with the Taylor negative ads.

However, the “Pinnochio” ad — which even this week is still running as often as twice an hour up here in my neck of the woods — has turned off several folks that I’ve spoken with. I’ll be honest, it strikes me as Clintonesque, with his quiet laughter and clearly restrained voice, and I’m beyond sick of seeing it.

I think that ad was a terrible mistake — not only the endless replaying (which keeps the land deal alive in people’s minds), but also the perception it creates that he’s rubbing in the fact that he has a couple million bucks to drop on land whenever he wants it.

We’re trying to keep class warfare out of elections, but he’s just setting that one up on a tee for the opposition.

10. ugavi says:

Sonny and his team have run a good race. The “Pinnochio” ad was their first mistake. They should take it out of the rotation.

11. RandyMiller says:

Frankly, I’d like to see a somewhat more reliable poll. Wasn’t it Towery whose polls predicted Reed would defeat Cagle? I’d like to look at Mason Dixon and a another two and see what they say.

As for the commercials; did they cut into Perdue’s lead? Could be, but why no bump for Taylor then, even losing 2 points? Do voters not see Taylor as a viable alternative? Could be.

12. Demonbeck says:

IsiderAdvantage makes the assumption that most people read newspapers and watch the news – that was their first mistake. Secondly, they also assume that the people who do watch the news and read newspapers are too stupid to realize that each has agendas and bias and cannot read through it. Lastly, has anyone really put much faith in InsiderAdvantage since the whole Reed up 10% on pre-Primary Sunday debacle?

13. debbie0040 says:

Perdue should take the “high road” and not roll in the gutter with Taylor, unless he sees Taylor’s ad having a huge impact.

I think the poll that shows Perdue’s support dropping is the result of Perdue going negative, not Taylor’s ads.

I have talked to a lot of voters that are complaining about Perdue going negative. They seemed to think that Perdue was “above” going negative.

The Pinnochio ad makes Perdue seem nasty and as Jeff said it, Clintonesque.

14. Bill Simon says:

UGAVI,

It was there 2nd mistake. Their first mistake was the ad that had Sonny scoffing at the “Big ‘ole Oil Companies”…as if a Republican capitalist audience would nod their heads in agreement about beating up “big ‘ole rich oil companies.”

Reminds me of Bob Barr’s “gooder” ads in 2002.

15. ColinATL says:

TV gave the story legs, although they may only be short, stubby little legs.

And Purdue’s Pinocchio ad is crappy, makes Sonny look more condescending than usual. I do like the little twigs that pop out of Mark’s nose at the end, though. 🙂