1. Chris says:

I think if she pledges to be the Democratic Party’s campaign chairman in 2008, then we should elect her to that office. It’s a given Handel will be the GOP’s if she wins, so let’s even up the playing field a bit. Will Buckner commit to being the Dem’s election campaign chair during the 2008 campaigns? If so, then I’ll take my vote back from Handel and give it to Buckner.

2. Bill Simon says:

Chris,

You sound like someone I used to play checkers and chess with: “If you move there, and I move there, and then if I move there and you take that pawn…and…”

3. Chris says:

I was trying to draw attention to an issue nobody talks about, and by placing a Democrat in the same scenario expected some kind of response decrying the wrongness of it. The issue is allowing the SoS to serve as a party’s state campaign chairman during elections over which he or she is charged to execute properly. How would every feel if the Dem SoS assumed both roles, because it’s become standard procedure for the GOP.

4. Chris says:

And maybe neither deserves my vote, since there’s a libertarian candidate on the ballot: Kevin Madsen, also a staunch voter-verified paper trail supporter. (what, no links allowed to libertarian candidates?)

5. Chris says:

Why don’t we ask the candidates what their position is on the SoS serving as state party campaign chair while in office? Do you have any objections to the demanding an answer to the question from all the candidates?

6. Mrs. Adam Kornstein says:

Buckner has no chance of being elected as the DPG chair.

I was outspoken on this blog about this candidate during the runoff with Hicks, she has little or no support now from Democrats, and has to self fund like crazy.

This is a non-issue.

She should have run again for her House Seat and let that district fire her.

7. ugavi says:

Chris,
    Forgive me for being dense. Are you suggesting that Buckner runs for Democratic Party Chair in 2008? Isn’t Bobby Kahn getting replaced next year? Isn’t that a 4 year term? Or are you talking about another position?

8. Chris says:

Let’s spell it out in specific terms. Kenneth Blackwell, as Ohio’s SoS, served as the state party chairman to the Bush/Cheney 04 campaign. Look it up. Katherine Harris, as Florida’s SoS, served as state party chairperson for the Bush/Cheney 00 campaign. Look it up.

Will Handel be chosen to serve as the GOP’s state campaign chair for the 08 elections while serving as the state’s duly elected SoS?

Will Buckner be chosen to serve as the Dem state campaign chair for the 08 elections while serving as the state’s duly elected SoS?

Very valid questions, and very necessary for public discussion. Do you, and the public at large consider such dual roles for an elected official a “con`flict of in`ter`est? “

9. ugavi says:

Chris,
    Thanks for the clarification. That would be a good question to pose to both candidates. I haven’t seen anything to indicate that either candidate would serve in a role similar to Blackwell and Harris. Seems to me like your throwing out a red herring.

10. ugavi says:

Chris,

Still not sure what your point is. You said –

“I think if she pledges to be the Democratic Party’s campaign chairman in 2008, then we should elect her to that office”

Later you describe the Democratic Party Campaign Chairman’s office as the state party chair for a presidential campaign.

There is no election for what you describe as a state party campaign chair.

11. Chris says:

And you still didn’t answer the question. Is it a conflict of interest for a SoS to serve as a party’s campaign chair while in office as SoS?

12. Demonbeck says:

I will never forgive her for Game 6 in the ’86 World Series. She gets that knee down, Mookie Wilson never gets on base and Ray Knight does not score the winning run. Red Sox win the World Series.

13. Demonbeck says:

F’ing Buckner.

I hope you all realize I am kidding, I have been a Braves fan since they left Boston.

14. Demonbeck says:

ugavi,

I figured that much, but wanted to be sure those literal translators (see: Baptists) understood as well.

15. ugavi says:

Doesn’t matter what I think. What do the candidates think. My guess is that neither one of them would hold the SoS office and be the State Campaign Chair of a Presidential campaign. Only one of those positions is an elected position.

16. Chris says:

What happens if you’re wrong? You refuse to say whether you consider such a scenario to be a conflict of interest. Why? It’s a simple question. Would the dual roles be considered a conflict of interest, in your eyes?