Behold the power of incumbency.

Just in time for the General Election, here’s a letter Labor Chief Michael Thurmond sent out last week to Georgia employers announcing a “$100 Million Tax Cut” beginning January 2007.

1. georgia06 says:

Hmmmm…..my understanding is this is money that the businesses have already paid–in fact, I believe that businesses overpaid 164 million last year in unemployment taxes. So why is Thurmond only giving back 100 million–where is the other 64 million? And how is this a tax cut if businesses have already paid it? The majority of businesses won’t even notice the credit, only large employers. The thing that irritates me the most about this letter is it is obviously a re-election campaign ploy paid by my tax dollars!

2. stephaniemills21 says:

I was waiting for a comment like “re-election campaign ploy”. First, this is Thurmond’s third major tax break to Georgia employers. And why, cause Georgians stay on the unemployment rolls one month less than the national average. The rest of the money that was saved was put into the Unemployment Trust Fund, that was depleted by the 2001 recession and 9/11. And because of that we have one of the most solvent trust funds in the country.

3. georgia06 says:

A real tax cut is when businesses never pay the tax in the first place. Georgia businesses were overtaxed by 164 million dollars last year and you think that the timing for this letter isn’t coincidental with the fact that election day is only weeks away? Thurmond is using labor department dollars(probably some of that 64 million) to campaign for re-election.

4. Romegaguy says:

Next he will have a letter sent by his press secretary to the AJC about the headlines about another Dawgs lost…

5. I don’t think there are any good reasons to vote against Mike Thurmond. He seems to be doing a solid job as Labor Comissioner . . . I have met him on several occasions & he is bright & very charismatic. Does he have any real competition this time around??

6. Like 98% of Democratic candidates in the state, he is running against some white guy who hopes this is the year of white guys in Georgia. Can I get out a shout out from whitemalevoters?

7. jsm says:

Year of the white guys? I don’t remember seeing the Democrats put a whole lot of minorities in office. This race card crap is absurd.

Nobody hears anything from the Labor Commissioner except for election years (same for Tommy Irvin).

Brent Brown is an intelligent guy who says he’ll bring the DOL to a prominent role in educating and equipping the workforce, hopefully before they reach the unemployment office. I think we need some new blood in this office, and I’m convinced that Brown will do a good job as Labor Commissioner.

8. atlantaman says:

Year of the white guy? Is the inference supposed to be that the candidates running against folks like Thrumond are racially motivated? Chris I always thought you were above racial demagoging…or are you just trying to keep you job for when the blacks sweep both Democrat caucuses and the State Democrat Convention next year.

9. whitemalevoters says:

Chrisishardcore: AMEN BROTHER!

This IS the year of the white male voter. Since the founding of this nation, no other minority has been more consistently trodden upon as the white male voter.

That’s why we’re supporting the following candidates:

Governor: Mark Taylor
    Lt. Governor: Jim Martin
    Sec. of State: We’re sitting this one out, as there is NO white male in the race

Governor Perude, you lied to us. You said that we would get a vote on OUR SKIN COLOR, GENDER, AND VOTER REGISTRATIONS. But you lied.

White Male Voters for Taylor ’06!