Buckner Just Lost

Gail Buckner is calling for public financing of political campaigns. She wants to raise money through license plate fees, ethics fines, income tax checkoffs, or other sources. None of those, of course, would actually fully pay for the campaigns, so we’d have to turn to tax payer dollars or let candidates raise funds — which defeats public funding to begin with.

I am, of course, biased here. I am flat out opposed to public funding of political campaigns.

1. blazer says:

yes, if she is in favor of public financing, I hope she loses.. the only people in favor of public financing are challengers who can’t raise any money…

2. atlantaman says:

The irony is she is not a challenger, but running for an open seat currently held by a Democrat and yet she raised a pethetic amount of money last period. I haven’t checked her disclosure, but was told she raised under $30,000 for the General Election. No wonder she wants public funding for elections, when you are too lazy to raise the money yourself ask the taxpayers to do it for you. I bet there are a lot of Democrats wishing they voted for Shaym Reddy right now.

3. ugavi says:

am,
    What’s even more ironic is that according to her disclosures she put over $250k of her own money in the race so far. She put in $10k of the $30k for the general. Guess she wants the tax payers of the state to fund her race instead of her.

4. atlantaman says:

I would say Holcomb, Hicks, and Reddy were all better then Buckner. I didn’t realize she put in $250,000 to win the Primary, but only $10,000 to win the General.

If I were a Democrat I’d be upset with her, it almost seems disingenuous to pour all that money into the Primary and then do nothing to win the General Election (except beg the taxpayers to pay for her campaign).

5. TJBradley says:

Speaking of these former candidates, what are they up to? I saw a profile on Holcomb in one of the lawyer rags but it didn’t say anything about future plans.

6. ColinATL says:

Reddy is back at his law firm where he was on Leave of Absence during the campaign. We ain’t seen the last of him…

7. CobbGOPer says:

From what I understand, Gail’s hubby is on a bank board, so I wonder if they got creative with some type of loan…

8. RuralDem says:

Some within the Democratic circle were discussing the possibility of Reddy becoming head of the DPG. Obviously just a rumor but I agree with ColinATL that we have not seen the last of him.

We also have not seen the last of Holcomb and Hicks.

Buckner’s win in the primary completly threw me off guard. I had it as Holcomb or Hicks and then Reddy, Ray, and finally Buckner and Moore at the bottom.

She had no showing in Columbus but won by a decent margin there.

9. MountainDawg says:

Buckner was first alphabetically on the list of a lot of no-name Democrats. Out of those, she was basically the only one that many of the insiders at the Capitol had dealt with due to her legislative career. She’s a liberal, left of even most left-leaning Democrats. Of course, she won the primary. People who knew her believed she could be a standard bearer for the Democratic Party. She represents today’s Georgia Democrats well. For some of these folks, taxpayer-funded campaigns are a mainstream approach compared to some of their ideas. As long as the state Democrats mirror the national party, expect Republicans to continue winning the open seats.

10. RuralDem says:

“Out of those, she was basically the only one that many of the insiders at the Capitol had dealt with due to her legislative career.”

Walter Ray?

11. MountainDawg says:

Walter is no longer at the Capitol. The issues surrounding his departure also left a bad taste in a lot of mouths. It is easy to quickly become a has been. Good point, Rural Dem.

12. atlantaman says:

Well even if her husband is no a bank board and even if they got very creative about the financing, I would imagine the bank would expect to be paid back the $250,000.

Does anyone know if she was calling for public financing of the election during the Primary when she decided to pour $250,000 of her own money into it?