More poor signage

Can you read the center sign? Know who it’s for, or what he/she’s running for?

This is in Athens; those who are local will recognize Baxter Street, as well as the Charlie Maddox for Mayor and Bill Cowsert for State Senate signs on either side. But the middle one…is it really doing any good, or is it just a waste of cash?

Now here it is, up close. But seriously — what’s the point of a sign if you have to be two feet away to read it?

(and yes, I took the photos with my phone — not the best resolution ;-))

1. donkeydonkey says:

I think it’s a perfect sign. I wouldn’t change a thing. Though I looks a lot more like a sign for a company than a political candidate.

2. cheapseats says:

E.H.’s campaign is a mess from start to finish. Sadly for E.H., his big local Republican/Chamber of Commerce supporters have decided to focus on the mayor’s race and have basically forgotten him, already.

That the Republican/Chamber cartel of Athens has picked a Herman Cain is pretty telling and is already wearing thin with the black voters. Charlie Maddox, now that he has been forced to come out on the issues, is about to become a distant memory. Good riddance!

3. donkeydonkey says:

While I may or may not agree with Cheapseats assessment of Maddox, his/her usage means a black conservative Republican who uses his ethnicity as political leverage. Not that there’s necessarily anything wrong with that.

4. Know Nothing says:

I will say that the Cowsert logo is definitely unique. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen the oval logo on signs. He’s a no brainer considering his opponent has consistantly misrepresenting the UGA and surrounding community by first voting against protection of the HOPE scholarship and then by voting against the anti-immigration bill this summer.

5. Jeff Emanuel says:

It leaves a lot of white space around the sign, but is distinctive; folks know what they’re seeing without having to be able to read the text.

Kidd’s signs — while they are Tech colors — are extremely eye-catching, and the last name as presented on the sign will leave an impression in the mind sure to be recalled when seen again on a ballot. This is an advantage Cowsert does not have, as there’ll obviously be no distinctive ellipse on the ballot.

When it comes to stickers, though, I think Cowsert’s is more effective — same size as a rectangle (no extra space like the sign), distinctive, and large enough text to be able to see and remember it.

6. Rick Day says:

Art Director: “That will be $400 to design your logo and graphics.

Candidate: “Heck, who needs an art person when I have Microsoft Word. I’ll spend the money one some imprinted emery boards, instead.”

sheesh….bet it is missing the union bug too.

sheesh….

7. gatormathis says:

Emery boards, you hardly see them any more. In the good ole days of points in vehicles I used to build me up a supply during elections to file points with for a couple years. Then another election to replenish my stash again.

So, with today’s electronic ignition, I just don’t look for them anymore, but when I see them, I always get about ten for just in case.

And the beat goes on.

8. ATL\'s Finest says:

Sign says “E.H.” — I think that is what people need to know. The Culpepper campaign is definitely the strongest of the three.

9. Jeff Emanuel says:

That may be; however, the choice of font, size of letter, and especially the light red on white means that you really do have to be right next to the sign — or otherwise making a concerted effort — to see and read it, even the block “E.H.”