1. buzzbrockway says:

Smart move by McCain. He’s traveling the Country raising money for folks and he’ll want to cash in those chips in ’08 (sorry for the Reed reference).

Who better to have on your side in Georgia if your McCain than the sitting Lt. Governor and likely front runner for the 2010 Governor’s race?

2. UGA Wins 2006 says:

Message to Georgia Republicans: McCain is poison on immigration and terrorism control. Don’t get too close.

Many, including me wouldnt vote for him if he was alone on the ballot.

3. dingleberry says:

UGA Loses 2006,

Message to you: George W. Bush is poison on immigration. He actively promoted McCain’s amnesty bill.

But I’m sure you had no problem casting a vote for good ole’ G.W.

You hate McCain because of his moderate stances on abortion and gay marriage. Nothing more, nothing less.

4. Mojo says:

dingleberry,

Moderate stances on abortion and gay marriage? The greatest hoax ever pulled was the portrayal of McCain as a moderate.

Abortion:

-Rated 0% by NARAL.
    -Stated that Roe v. Wade should be overturned
    -Voted for maintaining a ban on military abortions
    -Voted NO for reducing teen pregnancy by education and contraceptives
    -Wrote and mailed a long letter to the National Right to Life Committee detailing his long history of anti-abortion stances

Gay marriage:

-Voted YES on DOMA against same sex marraige
    -Voted NO on bill that would have prohibited job discrimination based on sexual orientation
    -Voted NO on adding gays to hate crimes

Tell me again how “moderate” the “maverick” McCain is?

5. debbie0040 says:

Buzz, I have to disagree about Cagle being the front runner in the 2010 Governor’s race.
    I believe that Lynn Westmoreland will be the front runner.

I agree with UGA wins about McCain and immigration. The bottom line is McCain is not very popular with many GOP grassroots activists.

In fact, I attended a GOP breakfast and when McCain’s name was mentioned, there were massive boos from the crowd.

Interesting article about Illegal Immigration and amnesty from Arizona.

6. Jeff Emanuel says:

I officially changed my residency from Westmoreland’s district two months after his election. There was no relation in the two events — I had moved to Athens from Peachtree City — but that doesn’t mean that I don’t have a problem with him.

Westmoreland needs to concentrate on being a decent Congressman before trying to run the state. Like most elected officials I’ve met, he dazzles nobody with his intellect — and he’s been a silent, follow-the-pack freshman Member the last two years.

He needs to be more outspoken and show more intelligence than he has to this point if he is to return and from DC and hope to become governor — oh, and boning up on the “other seven commandments” between now and then might not hurt, either.

7. Jeff Emanuel says:

dingleberry, the problem with McCain is neither abortion nor gay marriage. It’s his willingness to radically alter his stated beliefs and positions based on anticipated media accolades, and his strikingly non-conservative positions on other issues.

His position on immigration is terrible; he and Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) teamed together to write an absolutely unpalatable bill which would do no more than pay lip service to our illegal immigration problem, offering the pie-in-the-sky solution of “self-deportaton” to an issue which goes much deeper than the surface, which they barely wish to scratch (before claiming to have “done something” about it).

Likewise, McCain-Feingold (or the “Incumbents Protection Act”) was a terrible bill, which sought to curb the first amendment right to political speech. In an age of hyperbolic rhetoric about the so-called “trampling of our Constitution,” this Act still flies under the radar pretty well.

And, for the record, I agree that President Bush’s positions on both of these issues — pro-amnesty immigration “reform,” and signing McCain-Feingold into law — are, and were, terrible.

8. debbie0040 says:

I completely disagree about Westmoreland.

He has been a leader and great Congressman. He served Georgia well in the State House for twelve years.

Westmoreland led the fight against the Democratic controlled re-districting when Barnes was Governor. He led the re-districting effort in the House when the Republicans gained control. Westmoreland led the fight against renewal of the VRA. Yet you say he is not ready to lead Georgia..

I would guess that your displeasure with Westmoreland has more to do with ideology.

I prefer plain spoken officials as opposed to so called intelligent officials that don’t have a shread of common sense.

In 2004, the press constantly compared W’s intellect to that of Kerry’s. They still deride W about his intelligence.

W was intelligent enough to be elected President twice.

I am suprised to see you fall into that intelligence trap thing.

9. debbie0040 says:

I do agree you Jeff on McCain Feingold and the McCain-Kennedy Immigration Bill.

Your comments were right on target as well about McCain.