Just ‘Cause I Want to Brag

On Thursday of this past week I had an appointment at what I thought was the Old Executive Office Building, next to the White House. I showed up at the duly appointed hour, presented by drivers license, and the guard asked me why I was there. I told him I had an appointment there.

He said, “You need to go two gates down. Your appointment is at the White House.

1. Chris says:

Dude, don’t say “I had an appointment in the West Wing” then leave us hanging as to what the meeting was about!

2. GAWire says:

You never forget your first time, huh? I know I won’t. Glad to see you’re not a virgin anymore, so to speak!

3. Chris says:

Is it any mystery that loyalist locals were summoned to Washington, given that Bush is arriving shortly to campaign for Collins in the midstate?

4. Chris says:

Well that fence thing makes me nervous. Just as it keeps undesirables out, it also keeps us in should a fight-or-flight syndrome suddenly kick in somewhere down the line.

5. Harry says:

Forget it. If you want to control illegal immigration, the fence has to be a major component. If you don’t care about an orderly process – having immigrants make an application – then no fence is needed.

6. Chris says:

7. Mojo says:

The fence is a feel good solution, sort of like the screenings that the TSA conduct. It creates the illusion of safety and security without actually providing any. If a migrant wants to enter this country all they have to do is find the vast amounts of space of the fence where there is no police presence. The fence, at its core, is a huge waste of money.

8. Mojo says:

Chris,

“Why has it taken this country over 200 years to come to that conclusion, when it was never considered necessary before?”

Illegal immigration is the new gay for the GOP.

9. atlantaman says:

We didn’t have all the freebies and coddling 200 years ago.

10. Mojo says:

Chris,

Also, every few decades or so the nativists rise up and proclaim that a menace is pouring over the border and destroying the very fabric of our society. This strange ire has been directed towards the Irish, Slavs, Italians, Asians and now Latinos. It is inevitable that this state of affairs comes about every now and then and soon it will fade away and you’ll be left with the thought, “Wasn’t the border a big deal a few years ago?”

11. UGA Wins 2006 says:

Harry: Forget the fence, the Congress the next day passed legislation to gut the entire bill and allow the money to be spent elsewhere.

So when Congressmen come home crowing about their fence, ask them why people hate the political process and distruct elected officials.

12. Dorabill says:

Chris
    fight or flight? That’s one of the weakest arguements for not building a fence I’ve ever heard. These colors don’t run. but if I did have to get to Mexico I could always do this:

13. Bill Simon says:

John Konop,

That post has ZERO to do with the contents of this thread. Despite our friendship, I’m going to have to vote to throw you off this island ’cause you never seem to learn. 🙂

14. rugby_fan says:

ugavi: isn’t it suprising how unkempt the press room is? It is no wonder the press never likes the president.

When I was there, I tried to formulate (for, around 15 seconds) a way to try and keep my visitors badge. I then realised I don’t like the thought of FBI agents attempting to arrest me.

15. ugavi says:

rugby,
    It is surprising. You know it’s actually built over FDR’s old pool. If you bounce on the floor you can hear that they didn’t fill the pool in.

16. Chris says:

Erick // Oct 8th 2006 at 8:45 pm

The purpose will soon be revealed.

There was a Nork nuclear test last night. Just what were you up to?

17. CHelf says:

Well of course the Press Room is being renovated. It is very small and not too classy for what you’d think it was worth. I have a few pics of me standing behind the podium looking like someone important. I’ve been downstairs and bowled in the WH ‘bowling alley’ as well. It seems that used to be the indoor pool JFK and RFK are rumored to have had Ms. Monroe over for parties…..it’s no longer a pool for various reasons.

18. Harry says:

Yeah, I can’t believe you Democrats wouldn’t want to have an immigration policy that really controls the borders and establishes lawful immigration processing. Are all those “assumed” votes more important than civil order?

19. negattack ad nauseam says:

^ Harry, as a liberal, I understand how important it is to for nations to have borders, like cells have membranes to control the process of allowing things in and out. But having borders doesn’t mean building a physical wall; it mainly entails protecting the economy of a nation. Besides, we can’t afford to build such a huge wall, and it wouldn’t help much anyway.

If we were to put any employer out of business who willingly employs non-citizens within our borders, what would happen next? U.S. employers would stop hiring illegals. What would happen then? Illegals would not have jobs in the U.S. anymore. What would happen then? Illegals from Latin America would pack up their things and head home. We wouldn’t have spent much, we would not have to round anyone up nor process them as detainees/criminals, and we, the middle class, would get our jobs back from the desperate Mexicans and greedy, economically treasonous corporatists in both the RNC and the DNC.

If we built a FENCE, that would actually tend to deter illegals from exiting our country after the illegal hiring practices were clamped-down on!

20. Harry says:

Can’t argue too much with what you write, but I doubt that we’re going to see enough will from either party to go after employers. Besides, the argument has been that we shouldn’t need to create much personal disruption if we can staunch the flow in. Once the border is under control then we can talk about how to deal with the existing people going forward. I also have to say, in a 7 trillion economy a couple of billion for a border fence will probably save more than it costs.