Georgia vs. Tennessee open thread

Oh, yeah, and Tech is playing Maryland, too.

[UPDATE 3:10pm] Sorry, Clayton. Guess it just wasn’t in the cards for the WarEagleTigers WarEagleTigerPlainsmen this year.

[UPDATE 11:03pm] There’s Tennessee’s fifth touchdown of the second half, as Arian Foster runs it in from the ten. 51-33 UT leads the Dawgs with 2:54 to go. This ballgame’s over, and it wasn’t the Vols who got their face stomped with a hob-nail boot between the hedges tonight.

UGA’s got a lot of questions that need to be answered — as do the voters who had them (a) in the top 10, and (b) ranked ahead of Tennessee.

For the Techies it was a good come-from-behind win, 27-23 against Maryland.

1. RuralDem says:

The only thing I am worried about is that Georgia tends to play down to their opponents level. Hopefully they’ll come out today and play at their level instead of Tennessee’s.

GO UGA!!!!

2. Clint Austin says:

1. We will probably lose today.

2. Tech people will ascend into even higher levels of delusion.

3. We will rescue our season by destroying Tech’s little fantasies.

4. Tennessee will still be the Six Toed Republic that is amazingly going to elect Harold Ford to the Senate while Georgia reelects Sonny – and then recommences to whip UT next year when we have a real QB again.

GATA

3. Rick Day says:

why do grown men care about teen games?

Oh yeah, that thing about living vicariously through your alumnus.

Or perhaps – it is those tight pants…

4. rugby_fan says:

it is the WarEagleTigerPlainsmen, if one is going to belittle AU for having several nicknames denoting worthlessness, make sure you list all of their names.

5. Brian from Ellijay says:

WOW, What a day in College Football.

UGA and Auburn both kill chances at a National Title.

Tech pulls off another victory. All three teams are now 5-1.

Only question I have is what the f*&k happened to defense today?

Vols 51-UGA33 …what a spread

6. mercergirl says:

God Brian shut up. Nobody cares what you have to say- and if you keep it up I swear to GOD I will bring up the Calder Clay race… and how you acted one drunk night out in Macon- so watch it.

That being said- UGA performed better than I had hoped.

7. Know Nothing says:

Did anyone see the Taylor campaign tent? It looks like her definitely picked the wrong place to set up a tailgate.

8. Smillican says:

This year Georgia has the exact same problem Tennessee had last year – too many half – a** quarterbacks. If Mark Richt would take time to develop one and stick with him, then we could have won. Hint: that “one” isn’t Joe T. Joe T is starting because he was loyal, faithful, and a feel good traditional choice to start, not because he has the ability to play under pressure and lead a team. If they get JoeT out and Cox or Stafford in, we can take the SEC. If we keep starting JoeT, we’ll go 8 – 4. If we do what we did last night, we’ll lose to Florida, Auburn, and Georgia Tech as well.

Brian – newsflash: if you knew anything about college football, you’d know an SEC team is going to get passed over in a chance to play for the National Title by the BCS regardless of a great record anyway, just like they have been for the last three years.

Besides, JoeT, almost, I repeat, ALMOST, looked as incompetant as Reggie Ball. In the second half.

9. CHelf says:

Ahhh…it was wonderful to be in that stadium wearing orange. I don’t understand why Richt didn’t look at UT last year for a good example of why mulitple QB rotation does not work. No Richt, you cannot have Cutcliffe. You’re better off heading to Miami to play in the Atlantic Cupcake Conference.

10. mercergirl says:

Thank you smillican, you stated exactly what I wanted to say. And even though Auburn was ranked second I’m sure something would have happened just like a few years ago when they had zero losses and still ended up 3rd.

Btw Brian I deleted you Facebook post, there just weren’t words to respond. I admitedly should not have been so emotional, but you really should watch what you say sometimes- cause inevitably someone is going to jump all over you. Personally, I think you like the attention…

11. Mojo says:

If Florida goes undefeated and wins the SEC they have a shot. WVU and USC will eventually be facing subpar opponents and their scores will begin to drop. But, that all hinges on Florida going undefeated.

12. Jeff Emanuel says:

If UF makes it throught their schedule undefeated, they will be number two at the lowest. Their sched. is far too tough, and WVU and USC’s too light in comparison, for it to even be close.

13. Mojo says:

Just noticed this on the Georgia Republican website about a rally that was against Perdue’s immigration policies, “Interestingly, the attendees included at least a dozen Mark Taylor supporters, proudly sporting Taylor for Governor t-shirts. This begs the question of whether Mark Taylor supports illegal immigrants.”

So, I guess if a group of KKK members show up with Sonny Did t-shirts then that begs the question of whether Sonny Perdue supports white supremacy. The GOP certainly knows how to use the fear angle to get what they want. Boo! Illegal immigrants! Boo! Terrorists! Boo! Anthrax! Boo! Saddam! FDR once said that we have nothing left to fear but fear itself, while Bush and the GOP say we have everything under the sun to fear.

14. mercergirl says:

Jeff I gotta disagree, not on the basis that UF’s schedule isn’t tough enough but that I doubt the BCS will see it that way. The BCS sucks

15. Smillican says:

West Virginia will play Ohio State for the national title this year. I’m a gator hater, but I can’t deny the fact that they’re a good football team this year. Nonetheless, the BCS sucks and Florida, even if they go undefeated, will get passed over for the national title shot. However, I seriously doubt that Florida will beat Auburn.

16. Smillican says:

On another note: next game for you Jacket fans is Clemson – is this a preview of the ACC title game? Who takes it this first go round, and then who takes the title game, should it shake down that way?

17. buzzbrockway says:

Death Valley is a tough place to play, but we’ve done well against Clemson in recent years. I do think we’ll meet again in Miami, but as to who wins a week from Saturday? Who knows.

18. mercergirl says:

I doubt UF will beat Auburn as well, at least it’ll be fun to watch.

Personally, in regards to UGA, I only care about beating Auburn (please God) because of familiy rivalry.

In regards to Jackets vs. Clemson, I do believe Clemson will win that one.

19. mercergirl says:

You know- the funny thing about Tech is that they seem to always win the BIG ones (except for their opener this year), for instance Miami. But, they tend to not do so well in the ones they should win.

But hey- then theres UGA who tends to simply match their opponents playing level. I mean, we did a whole lot better than I expected Saturday given our past performance this year.

20. buzzbrockway says:

mercergirl,

What you say about Tech was true last year (and the three years prior to that) but this year’s Jackets aren’t like that….unless you consider Saturday’s victory over Maryland an upset. πŸ˜‰

21. mercergirl says:

Bill Simon,

I’m not really sure how to take that πŸ™‚

Buzz,

Yeah I guess you’re right about this past weekend, I can’t really hate Tech that much, I had a cousin play for them. πŸ™‚

22. jsm says:

I’m not sure I agree with some of you that Teresh…(however you spell his name) isn’t the guy for the Dawgs this year. They did score 33 points against a very good UT football team.

I haven’t noticed any real criticism of the defense that allowed 51 points.

As for Tech, the only way we beat Clemson is the defense pulling off some BIG plays. Ball has looked a little more poised this year than the last three, but he seems to follow big success with major screwups (i.e. 2 straight interceptions at VT). If Ball can keep his head on straight and find Calvin, the combination with Choice’s rushing will produce decent offense and a possible win. If not, we’re in trouble.

23. Jace Walden says:

FSU=National Champs…somehow.

I know you’re kidding, but I would love for someone to articulate a scenario in which this could actually occur…I have a feeling its going to be one of the “Baseketball” scenarios…

In other news, I lost $50 betting on Georgia.

24. buzzbrockway says:

Jace,

Here’s how Free Shoes U could win the National Championship:

FSU received enough votes to rank 27th in the latest AP poll. With two losses, FSU needs every team ranked above them to lose enough times so that they all have three losses. In addition, NC State (who is not ranked above FSU) must also lose three times in the ACC, and Wake Forest must also lose two more times in the Conferense to put the ‘Noles in the ACCCG.

If FSU wins out, and those other 29 teams collapse, they ‘Noles just might find themselves back in the title hunt. πŸ™‚