Lunchtime flame.

While the Dawgs were struggling with Ole Miss, Georgia Tech was putting a beating on #10 Va. Tech in Blacksburg. Tech jumped out to a 21-0 lead with the help of plays like this one.

Ahhh, life is good. 🙂

1. Bill Simon says:

As I recall, Tech usually has a really good first half while Georgia has been having bad first halves.

I propose that the Tech-UGA game be reduced to only 1 half.

2. rugby_fan says:

Most over rated teams in college football this season: USC (the one on the west coast) and UGA. Honourable Mention: Miami (the one in Florida).

3. mercergirl says:

I hate to say it, but my team has been struggling pretty bad. I mean, what is wrong with our offense? You would think by now the dropped pass situation would be resolved!

4. Jeff Emanuel says:

Fact is, UGA just isn’t that good this year (relatively); they certainly are’t a top 10 team yet.

Tech plays extremely well against good competition, whereas both teams seem to play down to poor opponents. ESPN radio’s Freddie Coleman (along with referring to Tech’s #21 as “Charles Johnson”) called this Tech’s “biggest win in the Chan Gailey era” — funny, I thought Miami last year would’ve been bigger — but Tech is on the right track, especially between this win and the ND game.

The real tests for UGA begin next week; can they come out of the matchups with Tenn, Auburn, and Florida with fewer than two losses?

No comment.

5. Jace Walden says:

I have to agree with Rugby_fan on this one.

Although I’m a UGA fan, UGA does NOT deserve to be ranked in the Top 10 anymore than USC deserves to be ranked in the Top 5!

I would put UGA around 15 or 16. Auburn should be at least #2 in ALL polls, not just the AP Poll. LSU should be in the Top 5. And Tennessee should be in the Top 10.

Most Underrated Team: Clemson

Southern Cal is about a number 11 or 12 team. GA Tech is also around 15 or 16 with UGA.

6. mercergirl says:

I agree Jeff- I would say UGA consistently “plays down to poor opponents”. I wonder why that is?

7. Demonbeck says:

Is it just me or did Wake Forest (bottom dweller from the ACC) beat Ole Miss worse in the driving rain than Georgia (an SEC powerhouse) did on a nice sunny day?

8. Jeff Emanuel says:

If you mean, “on a nice, clear night,” then yes, you could be correct. The freshman QB duo didn’t look oh-so-good (37% completion — and nowhere near all due to drops), and Brent Schaeffer looked just a bit like Michael Vick out there.

Oh, and blocking for your punter? We don’t do that ’round these parts.

9. waterboy says:

Demonbeck –

Dawgs squash South Carolina 18 – 0 with a freshman quarterback…Auburn holds on for the win against South Carolina last Thursday……so you know what that means? NOTHING. A win is a win….quit grasping at straws. The Dawgs may struggle, but they WIN!

Good win by Tech, but let’s not get carried away thinking they are a top team in the country.

10. Demonbeck says:

Waterboy,

I am a Georgia fan. I grew up a Georgia fan. When Georgia suits up each weekend, I pull for them silver britches. I grew up listening to Larry Munson and even though he’s getting older would still prefer to listen to him call a game over any other announcer out there. I rooted for Herschel Walker in his hey day and will even correct you if you tell someone that Vince Dooley won a national championship for UGA – because Erk Russell is the reason they won.

However, Georgia Tech is light years ahead of UGA in terms of production on the field so far this season. In fact, the entire ACC – top to bottom – is outshining the SEC overall.

You may not want to hear it, but it’s true.

11. Jace Walden says:

The bottom line for UGA is this:

They need Joe Tereshinski back. He started practice this week, and hopefully he’ll be back in the line up for Saturday.

I admit it, I was happy that Stafford got the chance to play. I thought he would do better than Joe T. Well, I was wrong. Mark Richt was right.

With the exception of a few good plays here and there, both Freshman quarterbacks have been less than mediocre.

Joe T. may not be an all-star, but he’s the best chance UGA has at being a decent passing team this year.

12. jsm says:

Buzz,

I was really skeptical of your earlier predictions for Tech, but I’m starting to see that you had pretty good insight.

The biggest thing that bugs me is that Reggie Ball, and apparently Chan Gailey, can’t handle success. Seems like every time they have great success, they follow with really stupid mistakes (i.e. 2 straight intercepted throws for Ball). We won because our defense scored and did good damage control.

The only way we beat UGA is big plays like we had against VT. Tech just doesn’t have consistent games against big opponents.

13. mercergirl says:

The only thing about Joe T. is that he looks like he’s throwing a pass with all his might and yet it doesn’t go very far.

I’m a UGA fan myself, but when my fiance says that Tech might stomp us- and he HATES Tech cause his dad and brother are fans- well then I have to quietly agree that might could be the case. I just want to beat Tennessee and Auburn.

14. The Busdriver says:

“However, Georgia Tech is light years ahead of UGA in terms of production on the field so far this season.”

According the NCAA, Tech is way ahead of UGA in the classroom, as well.

15. Demonbeck says:

“According the NCAA, Tech is way ahead of UGA in the classroom, as well. ”

I didn’t think there was an argument there.

Of course, Tech leads the way this year in announced major NCAA violations.