Since the question’s been asked…

…I might as well answer it.

Yes, it’s true that Bobby Kahn isn’t going to seek another term as Chairman of the Democratic Party of Georgia (DPG). Initially, the DPG was supposed to elect new officers at the State Convention, but a consensus was reached and agreed upon that initiating a change in leadership eight weeks before election day was not a good idea, so the DPG elections were delayed until January of 2007.

Who’s going to replace Bobby Kahn?

Well, it’s not going to be Cathy Cox. Whatever support that she might have had for a potential run for State Party Chair evaporated when she fled to Canada prior to the State Convention. She’s out…period.

The other names that I’ve heard is current DPG Secretary Steve Leeds. He ran for State Party Chair after state Rep. Calvin Smyre stepped down, and Leeds might run again. Former Democratic Lt. Governor candidate Griffin Lotson told the Brunswick News that he was considering it. Former state Sen. Mell Traylor might run. I’ve heard his name thrown around by some pretty reliable sources. State Rep. Tom Bordeaux is also a rumored candidate, as is former state Sen. Donzella James. I even heard that Steve Sinton might run (all the Democratic nominees for state-wide and federal office are automatically members of the DPG State Committee).

Right now, the only announced candidate is the Chairman of the Gwinnett County Democratic Party Mike Berlon. He’s been mentioned in InsiderAdvantage Georgia and has picked up the endorsement of Richard Ray, the President of the Georgia AFL-CIO and one of Georgia’s DNC members.

But…

After the November election (barring a run-off), you can expect that everybody, their cousin, and their brother will announce that they’re running for something.

Honestly, my take on things is that if Mark Taylor loses, you’re going to see the liberals/progressives/whatever-it-is-they’re-calling-themselves-today faction within the Party call for blood. They’ll say, “See, Mark Taylor lost because he was trying to be ‘Republican-lite’. We need to be real Democrats” (what the heck is a real Democrat anyway; what, you can’t be a conservative and be a Democrat?) and all that stuff. However, if Mark Taylor wins, well, he’s going to have a pretty decent amount of influence in who’s elected as State Party Chair much like President Bush had a large amount of influence in Ken Mehlman being elected Chair of the RNC.

That’s all I know.

Any more questions?

1. Chris says:

Liberals and conservatives, what the heck do those words mean anymore. My current perception is that liberal means using the government to do everything under the sun for people, and conservative means using the government to fund the free market and beat people back into their respective closets. Neither label nor the parties they’re attached to suits me, and I could care less whether Taylor or Perdue wins. They’re both part of the problem of government meddling and controlling everything.

2. RuralDem says:

“Honestly, my take on things is that if Mark Taylor loses, you’re going to see the liberals/progressives/whatever-it-is-they’re-calling-themselves-today faction within the Party call for blood.”

That faction needs to head on over to the Green Party where they belong.

3. atlantaman says:

“That faction needs to head on over to the Green Party where they belong.”

First, my impression of you is that you fashion yourself a Sam Nunn style Democrat. That being said, I understand your frustration with the Georgia Democrat Party, but the fact is you are the one who is in the minority. The Georgia Democrat Party is increasingly being dominated by urban liberals and the traditional southern style Democrats are are going the way of the Dodo bird. The whole point of delaying the convention is the Democrats know the liberal reality of the new GA Democrat Party is going to rear it’s ugly head come convention time.

4. Jen says:

RuralDem,

That faction needs to head on over to the Green Party where they belong.

To that I say, what the heck is a real Democrat anyway; what, you can’t be a liberal and be a Democrat?

5. RuralDem says:

atlantaman,

I would say I am a Democrat in the mold of Sam Nunn and even Zell Miller (a Democrat that I highly admire still to this day though most do not). I do realize that the commonsense Democrats that made the party so powerful are now in the minority, however I think throughout time that can be reversed.

No offense to my Republican friends, I just do not feel comfortable switching parties. I will side with Republicans on certain issues and even support Republican candidates but I do not think I will go all the way and jump ship. Admittedly, I completly understand why many moderate and conservative democrats have switched but.

Jen:

I was kidding. Personally, I think commonsense Democrats can work with the liberal wing of the party on fiscal issues. Conservative Democrats are normally not going to agree with the liberal wing on social issues which isn’t surprising as the normal voter doesn’t either. Fiscally however I believe conservative Democrats can bring a moderate stance on fiscal issues within the Democratic Party.

I’ve stated this numerous times:

I believe in the Southern view that if someone is down and out yet they are working their butt off then they should receive a push to help them get off their feet. In general Republicans don’t want to help those people yet Democrats want to help everyone including the crack addict with 5 kids that doesn’t have a job because “the government pays her”. While I do not agree with either side, at least the Democrats (again in general) want to help those that are down on hard times.

The welfare system needs drastic reform. Too bad neither party is willing to truly fix it.

6. midgajim says:

Andrea – I’m sure Mark’s flattered. No one has ever used his name and the word “lite” in the same sentence before.