Some black supporters upset with Taylor.

Taylor’s “execute child molesters” stance is making some key African-American supporters upset:

“It’s a grave concern,” said Joe Beasley, of the Rainbow PUSH Coalition. “We got him over (Secretary of State) Cathy Cox in the primary so there’s a strong feeling that he should be talking about our issues rather than running negative ads about the death penalty that feed people’s fears about crime.”

Beasley said he and a few other black leaders met with Taylor last Thursday to voice their worries and that Taylor pledged to keep up a dialogue.

“Unless he gets the message he’s going to be heading back to Albany in November,” Beasley said, referring to Taylor’s hometown. “This could have a chilling effect on his support in this community.”

The Rev. Timothy McDonald, of the Atlanta-based Concerned Black Clergy, agreed. While black voters are unlikely to throw their support to Republican Gov. Sonny Perdue they might stay home on Nov. 7, McDonald said.

“I want to support him,” McDonald said. “But there’s not going to be a lot of enthusiasm if this is his message.”

One other item along this line: I’ve noticed as I’ve campaigned for Perdue in Gwinnett, the reception among African-Americans has been quite favorable. I know it’s anecdotal, and blacks in Gwinnett are probably more open to the GOP’s message than folks in other parts of metro-Atlanta, but I think Sonny will do better than people think among this demographic.

Agree or disagree?

1. GeorgiaProgressive says:

I fully agree. Everything I hear around here as well points to lack of enthusiasm and lack of hope in Mr. Taylor’s message. If he doesn’t change course and change course fast, it’s not only going to hurt his chances of winning (which we can ALL agree aren’t looking good anyway) it will hurt the chances of Democratic candidates across the state because if that demographic isn’t moved to go to the polls, that spells trouble period. And, I think Sonny right now has the more receptive campaign going out there with most demographics, but also with this one.

2. I disagree. The tough on crime stuff has massive support amount all demographics. Black ministers may not like the rhetoric, but black voters do.

3. buzzbrockway says:

Chris,

It doesn’t matter how many times you say it, it’s still not true. Flaggers didn’t elect Perdue. Georgia voters en masse elected him and they’ll do it again on November 7.

4. atlantaman says:

“Perdue has done a good job of fudging his party allegiances. But he was the guy that rode the confederate flag to victory. Black voters won’t forget that.”

I’ll be shocked if Perdue gets more then 10% of the black vote, but don’t think it has anything to do with the confederate flag. I don’t think their are too many blacks concerned about the Confederate flag since is was completely removed under Perdue – just go talk to the flaggers if you need some testimony.

5. RuralDem says:

Buzz,

“This spells trouble for the Big Guy. The black vote is a huge component of Taylor’s base – one that Taylor needs to turn out in a big way for him to win.”

It doesn’t really mean trouble. No group will be behind a candidate 100%.

“Flaggers didn’t elect Perdue. Georgia voters en masse elected him and they’ll do it again on November 7.”

I can’t speak for every area but I will say that when you see “flaggers” and teachers in a rural county going in DROVES on their lunch breaks or whenever to the poll and their only intent is to “beat Roy” then well I would say both of those groups had an impact. At least in my area. These groups didn’t vote for Sonny, they voted against Barnes. A vote might be a vote but there’s a major difference in voting for someone and against someone.

Georgia Progressive,

What do you not like about Taylor’s message? It’s about time a Democrat running statewide down here turns away from the soft liberal stance on crime.

6. RandyMiller says:

I can’t say I blame the blacks upset with Taylor. I’m trying to look at things from their perspective, not from the white upper classes. With the thing about abolishing parole for vioent crimes, there are cases where someone does a thing out of desperate measures and stupidity. And however wrong; i.e. holding up the kwikie-mart, they may have no intention of hurting anybody and don’t. If they have any redeeming qualities, and I feel some do, I would rather see them eligible for parole with the opportunity for rehabilitation.
    All criminals should be judged on a case by case basis. However wrong they may have been, if there’s the chance one day they’ll be productive citizens by turning their lives around I feel they should be afforded the chance.
    As well it hasn’t helped the Taylor camp with the remnants of the flaggers (many of them KKK) holding up confederate banners with one hand and holding Taylor signs in the other.

7. amaddemocrat says:

I believe many Black voters will remember that Georgia used to have the confederate emblem on the flag and now it doesn’t.

I think that Taylor’s stance on crime might cause black voters to stay at home in November which will hurt Democrats throughout the state

8. mercergirl says:

I find it interesting that the black voters would be upset with an issue like this, or rather feel he isn’t paying attention to them. I guess it’s because I feel so passionatly about punishing child molesters, but I would think that that would cross over racial lines.

Or am I not seeing the big picture here?

9. whitemalevoters says:

Some black supporters upset with Taylor.

Who cares? Taylor has the vote of white male voters everywhere LOCKED UP!

We all plan on casting our votes for the biggest white male in the race–the big guy, Mark Taylor!

Perdue Lies. Flags die.

White Male Voters for Taylor ’06!

10. Chris says:

Getting tough and tougher on crime is like waving a big ol’ banner shouting “we’re going to be a police state whether you like it or not!”

I can sometimes see how blacks, often victims of racial profiling by law enforcement, would be uneasy with talk of getting even tougher on crime.

And sad as it is to admit, alot of this “child predator” crap is being used to elevate the public’s fears and drive home a police state mentality. The fact is, sexual child abuse has been with us as long as we’ve been having children, and as always it’s a terrible situation to have to survive, but the people do survive and often grow stronger through the recovery process. Another fact is, most childhood sexual abuse occurs within families and between close associates, and is not carried out by strangers, typically. Some families deal very well and proper with this issue, and get the assistance they need to address the problem. Some families allow it to occur for lack of will to destroy the family over the issue. Bringing “Uncle Harry” into the fore of the debate and using him as a whipping post for this cause stands to alienate as many people as it’s intended to help.

11. GeorgiaProgressive says:

Tough on crime does not equal death penalty in my book. Yes, of course no one likes child molestors but it definitely goes against my ideals to kill them and to preach that as a leading campaign issue. And, killing child molestors does not mean tough on crime at all either. Talk about skirting the issues and going for what he thinks he can get some bang for his buck – but I would prefer to see him spend some money on real issues that will help Georgia.

12. RuralDem says:

“I can’t say I blame the blacks upset with Taylor. ”

I’m shocked that someone who constantly bashes Taylor and any other Democrat that is mentioned would say that.

Oh wait, no I’m not.

13. defnotrep says:

“amaddemocrat”….I doubt it! I bet if your ISP was traced would show you are a Republican. You probably working for Sonny…

This message won’t hurt Taylor with most Democrats. The small % that would care definitely wouldn’t vote for Sonny anyway.

Personally, I wonder if you commit one violent act against a child, why would you ever be released to do again. Geesh….

14. whitemalevoters says:

It doesn’t matter how many black voters Taylor looses. He has 100% of white male votes in this state locked up, and 77.3% of white female votes in this state locked it.

It’s a well-known fact. Deal with it.

Perdue lies. Flags die.

White Male Voters for Taylor ’06!