Is less gun control part of the answer to self-defense question?

There’s been an increasing problem of late with students being attacked on Georgia college campuses, from Georgia State to Kennesaw. In the case of GSU, kids were being violently attacked and robbed; at Kennesaw, there have reportedly been violent abduction attempts of females.

What’s the solution? Well, at least one concerned citizen thinks that it’s less gun regulation. Here are his analyses of GA State, of Kennesaw, and this month’s shooting spree at Dawson College in Montreal.

What do you think?

1. buzzbrockway says:

Don’t forget the guy they caught at Virginia Tech who shot a cop and then hid on campus.

Surely there can be some loosening of gun laws for college students. Something must be done.

It’s not just a big city campus problem either. Blacksburg and Kennesaw are hardly big city schools.

2. I think a stronger uniformed security presence would be a better solution than encouraging a bunch of 18 year olds to start arming themselves. In the KSU article they talk about the emergency phones and lighting but there is no mention of how many security guards are out patrolling the campus on a regular basis. If I were a bad guy, I think I would be much more hesitant to attack someone if I knew a well-trained and armed security guard or policeman was within eyesight and shouting distance.

3. Paul Shuford says:

We’re not talking about 18-year-olds arming themselves (at least I’m not), as you must to be 21 to buy a handgun (although you can possess one at 18) and you must be 21 to obtain a carry permit in Georgia. However, not all students are under 21 years old. Why should their right to keep and bear arms be restricted simply because they are going to college?

Concealed carry permit holders are some of the most law-abiding citizens in this country, studies have been done showing the number of carry permits revoked for criminal activity (and permits get revoked for virtually any criminal activity outside of minor traffic violations), and the rate of revocation is less than 1%. Carry permit holders are not people you have to worry about.

4. fhm says:

Do you really think that an increased security presence is going to be effective? In order to hire more police officers, the college will have to increase fees/tuition (making education more expensive) or ask for more funding from the state, raising taxes. Neither one looks like a good option to me. How would you cover a campus as large as UGA, which is about 1,000 acres?

By the way, that “bunch of 18 year olds” you describe are allowed to vote, must pay taxes, and can be asked by the Selective Service Administration to go fight and possibly die for their country. My opinion is that part of the reason our “young people” are so immature is that they are constantly infantalized by society, telling them they are “too young” for, well, just about anything. Stop treating them like children, and maybe they’ll start to act like adults.

5. Jace Walden says:

If I were a bad guy, I think I would be much more hesitant to attack someone if I knew that my would-be victim is most likely armed and dangerous.

Loosen up gun control laws.

6. Tommy_a2b says:

William Satterwhite- If I were a bad guy, I think I would be much more hesitant to attack someone if I knew a well-trained and armed security guard or policeman was within eyesight and shouting distance.

As someone who attended GA State Univ and took many night classes I can tell you rent a cops are not going to do anything. More police may help but the the cost is unnessary. On today’s college campus there are large numbers of students over 21. I agree with Jace Walden, loosen up gun control laws.

Someone explain to me why I as a conceal carry permit holder should not be able to carry in any government building including a college campus?

7. I’ll admit that loosening gun control laws can help deter these kind of cases but I think having a stronger security presence is more likely to actually work. As it’s been pointed out, students under the age of 21 can’t legally carry a concealed weapon and even if they could, would they? Loosening gun control laws is only effective as a deterrent if the attacker knows there is a reasonable chance that the victim will indeed be armed (and of course, all this assumes the criminal is smart enough to stop and think before he tries something).

As far as the cost goes, safety and security should always be a top priority, if school programs and/or functions need to be cut to make sure that our schools are safer, then so be it. And if it does come down to raising taxes to make sure our schools and our streets are safer, that’s a price I’m willing to pay if I know it’s going to actually do some good.

Now with all that said, I just want to make sure everyone understands that I’m not saying we shouldn’t loosen the gun control laws because I think we should. I just think if we are going to point to the examples like those presented, we need to make sure we’re really addressing the problem.

8. Dorabill says:

I think mace or pepper spray would fit in better with the whole campus/classroom scenario, although I’m big-time pro gun. The real problem is women are more scared of the weapon than some greasy goon. So they should start some self defense courses.
    Lesson 1: spray perp in the face

Lesson 2: shove staggering perp in front of moving car.

Lesson 3: atomic elbow

9. fhm says:

“And if it does come down to raising taxes to make sure our schools and our streets are safer, that’s a price I’m willing to pay if I know it’s going to actually do some good.”

It’s much cheaper overall if I and 2-5% of the students spend $400 one time to buy a Glock 21 or some such weapon than it is for everyone in the Georgia to be taxed enough to pay for additional campus police. Let’s see, 2% of students at UGA is about 700 students. That’s $28,000 at $400 per gun (about average). That doesn’t even cover one cop’s salary…

“Wow! I didn’t think there was a heck of alot of gun control in our state, no permits to buy or own. . . . GA is actually one of the nations least regulated states when it comes to firearms.”

Yes, and I’m very glad I live here now and no longer in Connecticut where one must have a permit just to buy a pistol and a two-week waiting period to buy a long-arm.

There is far too much gun control all over the US. The Second Amendment is clear: “The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” I don’t understand what is so ambiguous about that?

“The real problem is women are more scared of the weapon than some greasy goon.”

Well, that’s not a sexist opinion… I happen to go out to the range very often with women who are quite comfortable with guns.

Fear comes from lack of experience with the weapon. A few shots at the range makes a world of difference.

10. Chris says:

The simple solution to a bunch of 18 year old kids at a school who don’t know how to use guns is to give them an elective on it. Pass the elective and you get a campus carry permit.

Heaven forbid we teach people to take responsibility for their own lives. If we did that they would need government as much.

11. Dorabill says:

fhm
    Well I was hoping to get “shot down” by some well armed women. Good thing you came to their aid.

I bet most of those students at KSU never even heard of the “Kennesaw Law” or it’s significance (for homeowners)