Georgia Christian Coalition splits.

The Georgia Christian Coalition wants no part of the national Christian Coalition:

The Christian Coalition of Georgia, one of the most powerful organizations in state politics, announced Monday that it had split with the national organization established 17 years ago by the Rev. Pat Robertson and organizer Ralph Reed.

Three other state chapters — in Alabama, Iowa and Ohio — have recently abandoned the national organization, once credited with the 1994 Republican takeover of the U.S. House.

“The Christian Coalition of America has demonstrated by their actions in word and in deed a desire to drift from our founding tenets. The Christian Coalition of America has left us, we have not left them,” Georgia chapter Chairman Sadie Fields, who led the campaign for a constitutional ban on gay marriage, said in a prepared statement.

She accused the national organization of a “drift” into liberalism, on issues such as global warming and an increase in the minimum wage. “They teamed up with Moveon.org, a liberal organization, to lobby for net neutrality, which is something we’ve never addressed,” Fields said.

There’s no doubt the Christian Coalition of America is losing influence. It could be a good thing for Sadie and her group to split, but it all depends on what issues they take up.

1. Will Hinton says:

I am tempted to make a crack about how far right Sadie Fields and her follower have gone if they think the national organization is drifting into “liberalism”. That is one of the most surreal comments I have heard in quite a while.

2. Will Hinton says:

Linda: you are falling into the trap of the ancient heresy called Manichaeism that holds that there is a clear distinction and duality between good and evil. Even if Moveon.org is as bad and “evil” as you presume (big assumption), that doesn’t therefore mean that anyone who associates with them is bad too. You need to read your church history. It was this particular heresy that Augustine fell into before he became a Christian. Don’t make the same mistake.

3. buzzbrockway says:

I’m not sure Sadie is saying she’s against net neutrality. I think she’s saying it’s not an issue the Christian Coalition should be dealing with.

As to associating with Move On, if they are right on some issue, first praise God for miracles, then be willing to work with them.

4. CHelf says:

Free speech on the web is not an issue that the CC should be dealing with? Considering many of their members are enjoying that liberty on a daily basis, I see that as a key issue they should be fighting for. Despite someone being labeled a liberal, they can have a common agenda to work with others labeled conservative. With this logic, I guess Sadie is rejecting working with Hindus, Jews, Muslims, etc. on any religious items protecting that right as well.

It’s a shame to see Christians buying into the labels game and holding judgment on others because of labels. And to see the GA CC think that net neutrality is not an issue concerning them, then they can just drop all broadband and internet efforts altogether. I see quite a few issues the CC should be addressing but choose not to because of a select agenda. Why is it fine to select some items and not others?

5. John Konop says:

Buzz,

Why would Sadie not think her ability to get information out would not be a key issue? Is that not the mission? Have we become a Country where we do not ever listen, talk or work with the other side on any issue? You have always been the voice of reason.

6. buzzbrockway says:

John,

I was just saying that it seemed to me, after reading Sadie’s comments, that she thought the CC shouldn’t deal with the net neutrality issue. I could be misreading her comments but that’s how it seemed to me.

Wether or not the CC should deal with net neutrality is open for debate and up to those in that organization. 🙂

7. landman says:

The sun is setting on this organization, as it relates to being a power broker within our State Party and to that I raise my glass……

8. I think the point is she is just looking for an excuse to drift off into a more radical direction away from the national organization. Her choice of net neutrality as the reason for splitting is pretty lame. She clearly didn’t think anyone would pay attention (and I doubt they have) when she offered that as the reason.

Everyone who believes in political speech should be in favor of something like that. Right now corporations, particularly content delivery ones have been pretty favorable to conservative groups. But that may not always be the case. So if you’re a conservative organization that engages in political speech, you should be in favor of rules and regulations that will preserve your abilities to communicate with your members.

And, if you don’t agree with me that corporations have been pretty favorable to conservatives, then you should be in favor of net neutrality already.

Sadie’s problem is she wants to split off an be her own messiah for Georgia but there’s no good reason. So she made one up. I predict we will continue to see this organization’s influence wane, and Sadie Fields will be continually marginalized. Sure they’ll write about her in the paper but no one will really care what she has to say.

9. JP says:

I admit I did a doubletake when I saw something from MoveOn about net neutrality that claimed the CC was partnering with them. I thought “they’re coming to their senses, on at least one topic.”

So Georgia’s group goes and bashes them for it. Good going!

10. ColinATL says:

I’m enjoying watching the slow motion demolition derby that foretells the break up of the great Republican juggernaut hold on this country. Oh, and Sadie Fields is a bi-yatch. 🙂