Worst Yard Sign Ever

Admittedly, I have a dog in this fight, but I have to say that beyond a shadow of a doubt, this is the worst yard sign I have ever seen for any political campaign.

The motto? Not very original. The legibility? I’ve been driving past this thing for days and finally realized it was a campaign sign.

This one is the sign I designed for this race. I’m really pleased with it. It’s quite distinctive, stands out, and you can see it clearly from about a quarter mile away, if not further.

And the kicker is that I paid no more for my design, which is a very unusual design, than a standard two color 18×24 sign.

1. RuralDem says:

I like the design of Self’s sign, you did a good job Erick. However, I have to disagree with the comments regarding readability.

I’ve found the Jones sign easy to read and the Self sign while it stands out for it’s color, isn’t as easy to read.

My judgement might be skewed though because I’ve only seen ONE Self sign and about 60 Jones signs in Peach County.

2. Erick says:

Rural, first, I know Tripp and I don’t know Charles Jones.

Second, while Jones has been a good lawyer, Tripp practices day in and day out in Superior Court — he’s done adoptions and divorces and will disputes and land disputes.

Third, I think its to Tripp’s credit, more lawyers in the circuit have publicly endorsed Tripp than all the other candidates combined. I think the people who practice in Superior Court would have a good idea of who the best candidate is. Likewise, more civic and business leaders have publicly endorsed Tripp than all the other candidates combined.

Fourth, Tripp actually lives in the circuit. I think I’d like to have a judge who actually lives in the judicial circuit in which he will preside.

3. pvsys says:

Totally agree about the signs.

BTW, when a candidate for judge says “moderation”, I know that they are probably trying to say that they are NOT “dogmatic” or NOT an “extremist”… I’m sure that is the idea they are trying to convey. (or something like that)

But, to me, it indicates that the candidate is probably either “unprincipled”, or unwilling to take tough stands, or will make wishy-washy decisions based on their desire to please “all sides” even if such a decision is not consistant and don’t necessarily follow the law.

I don’t know anything about Charlie Jones. I’m just commenting about what I get out of his slogan.

–Rob McEwen

4. Is Tripp Self any relation to longtime Bibb Co. Probate Judge Bill Self? If so, he comes from good stock and I’d probably be inclined to vote for Tripp on that fact alone.

I had the pleasure of serving on a committee with Judge Self and always respected his opinions and leadership. Personally, I’m very fond of both he and his wife.

Either way, good luck in the campaign.

5. HeartofGa says:

You are right about the signs. Tripp’s is the best of the season so far, and while I like Charles Jones very much, I’d like to introduce his campaign team to a graphic designer. It is amazing to me how many politicians- and businesses-miss the most basic thing about a sign: “can you read it?”

I’d also like to know who told Charles to spend $$ on billboards and whether him being up on TV this early is an indication that he intends to stay up and has the money to do so.

6. Erick says:

HeartofGa,
    I wonder the same thing about Charles. His billboards have been up forever. Heck, I’ve convinced Tripp not to even buy them. Instead, our 4×8 signs are full color.

I haven’t caught his TV ads, but I know several people are buzzing about them. I don’t think he’ll be able to match Tripp though.

7. Erick says:

Senator Douglas,
    You probably know Tripp from politics. He’s been Sonny’s county chair down here and he’s in the 159 Group. He’s a Citadel grad.

8. mercergirl says:

I didn’t know you designed those signs, good job, I like them a lot. What do you think about Ed Ennis’ chances in the race? I’ve met him and like him, but I know Tripp because his wife used to go to my church.

9. Erick says:

Mercergirl, I like Ed a lot. He and his wife are genuinely nice people. But Ed doesn’t really practice in Superior Court and I’d prefer a judge who practices in Superior Court.

I think it is very telling that over 130 lawyers have endorsed Tripp, over 350 community leaders have endorsed Tripp, and the Fraternal Order of Police has endorsed Tripp despite Ed being a federal prosecutor and an assistant DA also being in the race.

10. mercergirl says:

Oh yeah that makes sense, I had seen his brochures with everyone listed. It was pretty impressive. πŸ™‚

11. atlantaman says:

I don’t know if anyone has seen the Hackney signs in Dunwoody, but they have to be the worst signs ever. You need a magnifying glass to read it – it’s as if the printer got the push-card artwork mixed up witht the sign artwork.

12. gdshoup says:

Signs do not make one a good judge. Vast experience does. Charles Jones is only candidate to win a case before Georgia Supreme Court. He has vast experience in Superior Court and a very broad legal background. He is by far the most experienced candidate. Unfortunately, big money will probably carry the day. Sadly, there in not a Black judge on the Superior Court in all middle or south Georgia.