Speaker Richardson Is A Hypocrite In His Day Job

Who rails against trial lawyers and pushes tort reform and caps on damages for injured plaintiffs as a state legislator and Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives, yet in his day job (as a trial lawyer) seeks $5 million for his clients in a wrongful death suit?

You guessed it. Speaker Glenn Richardson who, as an attorney, is seeking $5 million in a wrongful death suit against Cobb County for the wrongful death of a 23 year old police recruit who died last year.

I wonder what Speaker Richardson’s contingency fee agreement is on this case? How many millions does Speaker Richardson stand to gain from this case?

It’s a shame that Speaker Richardson doesn’t see the hypocrisy in his actions as a trial lawyer in his day job, while as Speaker of the House seeks to limit access to the civil justice system for the wrongfully injured in Georgia.  Or maybe as a legislator he is just more concerned about the lobbyists and special interests rather than everyday Georgians.

Who would pay a $5 million judgment if Richardson got one for his clients? The taxpayers of Cobb County, of course.

1. housecreek says:

Decatur… Know of which you speak before you throw stones my friend…

I don’t know if you heard Speaker Richardson’s story behind the police recurit as he told the Community Affairs Committee last year, but here it is:

The police recruit was Sara Drummond. She had worked as an intern for the Speaker in his law firm and as a baby-sitter for he and his wife Susan since she was a teenager.. She was a part of their family, the Speaker thought of her as his own. Her dream was to be a police officer, and last year started to pursue that dream.

She was enrolled in the police academy in Cobb County and was in a hand gun class when the tradgedy took place.

An instuctor was giving a lesson on drawing a pistol and firing, using her as an example. He drew the pistol, aimed it at her heart and fired. The pistol, by Academy rule, was suppose to be empty because they were indoors. It was not. The gun fired killing her instantly. 23 years old. Killed because of a stupid, stupid error in judgement.

Think of yourself, in a class, learning to fire a weapon. The teacher kills you.

My friend, before you throw stones, know your target. You missed with this one.

2. nfire says:

Not to mention the fact that the Speaker had hesitations about the Tort Reform bill anyway, and he’s the one who upped the limit from what the House & Senate were trying to pass. (From memory, I believe he raised it from $250,000 to $350,000 for pain & suffering)

3. Decaturguy says:

Why, then, does Speaker Richardson think the life of someone maimed by a doctor is worth only $350,000, while the life of a police recruit killed during training worth $10 million (Richardson represents only one of the parents, the mother. The father is also seeking $5 million)?

If he believes in tort reform then he believes in tort reform. If he believes in caps on damages then he believes in caps on damages.

It is laudatory that Richardson is taking this case. I’m sure that Cobb County owes the family big time and the family is lucky to have Richardson taking their case.

But I wish that Speaker Richardson realized that all Georgians ought to have access to the court system when they are injured by a negligent party, not just those who are friends of the Speaker of the Georgia House.

4. Decaturguy says:

You are demonstrating my point that caps on damages in cases like this are just stupid policy. My point is not to criticize Richardson for taking the case. It is to criticize him for taking public policy positions (i.e., tort reform capping medical malpractice damages) contrary to his legal practice.

What if this “stupid, stupid error in judgement” was only worth $350,000 if they killed your daughter?

5. shep1975 says:

I’m not saying anything about if the suit is justified or not, but keep this in mind…this $10 million, which the Speaker would stand to make a considerable amount of money on, comes out of my pocket and the pockets of every Cobb County Tax payer. That’s $15+ for every man, woman, and child in the county.

If you sue the county, where do you think the money comes from? I realize most of the Democrats on this blog think government money comes from some magical, never-ending spring of welfare funds, but, this case means somewhere, somehow, someway, me and my neighbors, including Bill Simon, are the ones stuck with this bill.

6. Eddie T says:

Well said, Decaturguy.

Everything you are all saying only goes to prove his point more. There are always awful stories that point out just how important the justice system is, and how important it is for people to have access. It shouldn’t be just the ones who have friends in high places.

7. nfire says:

Right. The 5 mil can be for a lot of extra stuff and the pain & suffering part still meet the $350,000 cap. Also, I don’t think that the speaker was necessarily taking a public position in favor of Tort Reform. I was there when this fight was going on, and I think that I remember him saying that he believed that a cap was not the best way to go, but that there were some serious problems with the system the way it was and some type of reform was necessary. The cap would have been lower if it hadn’t been for him, I know that.

8. Mad Dog says:

Who thinks the family is “lucky” to have the speaker of the house take their case?

Show of hands, please.

If they had been “lucky,” they would have a daughter instead of a lawyer.

Nothing lucky about having your daughter killed at work by her supervisor/trainer.

Nothing instant about death from a single gunshot from a handgun, even if it hit the heart. Without blood supply, the brain has up to eight minutes of stored oxygen and nutrients.

She might have been beyond medical treatment the moment the bullet struck … that doesn’t mean she died in peace, quickly.

How long did they perform CPR? If they did…

Just a horrible example, from me, of why people shouldn’t make public posts about tragedy.

There’s no political merit to discussing this family’s loss.

I can’t begin to understand how they feel, know what they expect from the court system, how they will be treated by the media, how many neighbors – co-workers – strangers will make thoughtless comments …

None of which will change how a parent feels having buried a child.

9. shep1975 says:

Once again Bill, we pay the premiums.

Mad Dog, I think the parents decided $10million will take care of their loss. But that wasn’t the point. The point is ridiculous amounts that they stand to make and the Speaker stands to make on this.

I also don’t know where you’re from Mad Dog, but I’d be willing to bet that $15 ($30 if you add my wife) your county government is doing less per dollar you contribute.

10. Decaturguy says:

Um, housecreek, unless you think a Cobb County police officer would make $10 million over the next 30 years then I think Speaker Richardson and his client are asking for more than just economic damages.

And why would a mother and father be entitled to the future earnings of their child? If it were a spouse or child of the officer who died then I can see it as being a claim for economic damages, because they may be dependent on those earnings.

But as I see it, since these are brought by the parents, this is a case that is all about pain and suffering damages and, under the med. malpractice caps, would be limited to a $350,000 award.

I bet you Speaker Richardson could not afford to bring this case if it were subject to a $350,000 cap, would he?

11. shep1975 says:

Good Mad Dog, I don’t have enough to give you to use as toliet paper. I would come back with a snappy comeback, but since you hide behind an anonymous name like the corwards most Democrats are, I have to assume you are one. At least I don’t hid who I am.

I agree 100% with you on this Decaturguy. Man, talk about bipartisanship!

12. Bill Simon says:

Whoa….wait a second here…if the state cap of $350,000 only applies to pain and suffering damages, is someone telling me a lawyer can sue for $9.65 million for “negligence” and have a strong possibility of winning?

Seems to me that that is backwards. The survivors are the ones suffering.