Lauren Benedict Brings All Kinds Together

Lauren Benedict, a friend and former co-worker of mine, is running against Allen Freeman, a friend and former client of mine. I’ve been rather silent on the race, though being a Republican it should be obvious I’d vote for Allen if I lived in the district.

What I think is funny thought is the invite I saw for a fundraiser for Lauren. Robert Brown is participating in Lauren’s fundraiser. Senator Brown is participating in the fundraiser with a man from Jones County who has a court order barring him from County Commission meetings after showing up at one and calling a County Commissioner a “God d**ned n***r.

1. RuralDem says:

Erick,

I’m not trying to offend you by any means you mention that you would back the Republican simply because you are a Republican and then you bash Brown for basically doing the same on the Democratic side?

2. MountainDawg says:

Rural Dem-
    It’s not really the same thing. By being a Republican, Freeman is going to believe in lower taxes, less government, and principles that drive the Republican party. A Republican in North Georgia is basicaly a Republican in suburban Georgia or South Georgia. While individuals may have small differences, our ideology is basically similar.

In her district, Benedict couldn’t run on the national Democratic platform, because she wouldn’t have a shot in a rural district. In the last two election cycles most of the old-line Democrats in the House have now either been beat or had to switch because they see the liberal trend the state house Democratic caucus has taken recently. Once she got to Atlanta, she would have to vote with the Democratic leadership, which seems to become more liberal after every election cycle. The phrase “I’m a Georgia Democrat”, doesn’t exist near as much as it previously did. Most rural voters have decided that they do not want to choose between their beliefs or their political party. They are becoming educated voters and realizing that being a Republican allows you to do both. Being a Rural Democrat, you should probably better understand that part than anybody.

3. Jace Walden says:

MountainDawg,

Maybe you should tell that to the GOP Congressional Caucus. Both Chambers.

4. LINDA says:

Mountaindog,

I am glad that I have my feet up from the floor in my recliner! The doodoo is deep. LOL. I will vote for Allen because he lives in my district and I happen to know him. But I do not buy into anything anymore about this person represents lower taxes, etc… Neither party represents lower taxes or the legislature would have abolished the SPLOST! No offense, but I don’t believe in the tooth fairy either. I used to be right where you are with my thinking, but now I am an independent voter waiting for a breath of fresh air in politics that will never come. But we all need to be thankful for what we have in life because it could be worse.

5. RuralDem says:

MountainDawg,

Honestly, I don’t think so. Being a Republican doesn’t necessarily mean you believe in lower taxes, less government, etc. Nowadays people are quick to automatically assume someone is either a Liberal or Conservative based on party. I’m not accusing Erick or anyone else of doing that by any means. It just seemed strange that supporting a Republican because they are a Republican is ok, but supporting a Democrat because they are a Democrat is wrong.

Who cares about the national platform? The last time I checked, Benedict is running to represent the citizens of her district. She would not “have to vote with the Democratic leadership”. Towing the party line might be the popular thought but if you truly care about who you represent you’ll vote your concious.

I completly understand what you are saying, however I must disagree.

Being a Rural Democrat, I realize that party affililation doesn’t matter as much as working to do what’s best for the district you represent. Too often people are lost in the letter beside the candidates name instead of what the candidate will do for the district. I don’t care if you are a Republican, Democrat, whatever, if you share the same moderate-conservative values that I support then I will do whatever I can to get you elected.

I will say that if Benedict is a liberal Democrat and someone is voting against her than I completly understand. Basically I am trying to point out that not all Democrats are liberal and not all Republicans are conservative.

6. MountainDawg says:

I understand some of your points, especially Republicans at the national level right now. I’ve been disgusted with the lack of discipline in the US House as well. I’m sure Speaker Pelosi will bring us the accountability that all of us are waiting on.

Rural Dem-do you honestly believe that Laura B. could do anything for her district? Unless something major changes, we’ll have a Republican Senate and a Republican House. If you actually believe represenatives don’t listen to their caucus leadership and members, maybe that’s why you think she could vote her conscience. Do you really believe if she beats Freeman (who is well liked at the Capitol) that the Speaker or leadership in the House will give her the same attention they are giving to their friend and ally? It is indeed nice to think that people can vote their convictions, but the House Democratic Caucus made a couple of examples out of people who did that last year. Indeed party label does not mean everything, but it is easier to find a jellyfish in the Sahara Desert than to find a conservative in today’s Georgia Democratic party.

7. RuralDem says:

“If you actually believe represenatives don’t listen to their caucus leadership and members, maybe that’s why you think she could vote her conscience.”

People who vote based on the leadership forget who put them in that position in the first place. They should be voted out of office. You don’t get elected to bow down to the leadership. You get elected to do what’s best for your constituents. Hence the reason I have respect for people like Jim Marshall and the other Blue Dogs, as well as Republicans such as Chris Shays. They realize that the party line is ruining our nation.

Speaker Pelosi is quite a scary thought. Unfortunantly the Democratic Leadership is so twisted that great Representatives like Gene Taylor and Jim Marshall will get nothing just like they do now 🙁

8. MountainDawg says:

I agree that people who forget who put them there in the first place do not deserve reelection. In the realities of a democracy, however, a majority coalition must be put together on every issue or vote. It’s a shame that today’s Democratic candidates have to run from their party leadership in order to run for public office. Living in the mountains, I can completely respect the Zell Millers (or Chris Shays)of the world. If you haven’t read his Zell’s last book, A Deficit of Decency, it would be worth the time. RuralDem, I believe both of us could agree on some of the points Zell makes.

9. RuralDem says:

Unfortunantly I do not have it although I have been trying various bookstores around here for months. I do however have “A National Party No More” and I must say, it is one of my favorite books. Right up there with “Mr. Speaker”.

10. Erick says:

RuralDem,
    Point well taken, but you know and I know that if Lauren were a Republican, this would be front page news and the Democrats would be leading protests outside the event calling for a denunciation.