Casey outs Perdue lawyer-legislator Larry O’Neal

Last time, you recall, I asked if Perdue’s tax scandal would take down Cagle.  Looks like Casey started to wonder the same thing so he finally outted the father of Sonny’s $100,000 provision.  You’ll never believe who it was…

From Jay Bookman in today’s AJC (link below):

So, who inserted the provision into law?

Every tax change in HB 488 — except one — was requested by the state Department of Revenue. The sole exception was the retroactive provision that benefited Perdue.

According to minutes of the Senate Finance Committee meeting supplied by Cagle’s campaign staff, that someone was state Rep. Larry O’Neal (R-Warner Robins), chief sponsor of HB 488 and chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee.

Despite earlier claims from Perdue that he had ruled out buying property in Georgia to avoid possible conflicts of interest, Salzer found that in 2004 the governor had purchased 100 acres of land in Houston County, where he and O’Neal live.

The attorney in that transaction, and in the later creation of a limited partnership for Perdue and his wife, Mary, was O’Neal. He is a tax attorney, and his office is located in Bonaire, Perdue’s hometown. (It would be interesting to know who prepared the tax return in which Perdue took the controversial deferral; that’s among the questions the governor refuses to answer.)

Link http://www.ajc.com/thursday/content/epaper/editions/thursday/opinion_44ffcacb207091dd001c.html

1. rugby_fan says:

Mr. Kahn,

’06 is a critical year for the DPG correct? Wouldn’t the DPG’s time be better served doing something that moves voters? (Tip: copying and pasting a column doesn’t move voters).

2. Dignan says:

Bobbie: not sure if you realize this but most of us read the AJC. The idea of a blog like this is to provide some insight on the issues of the day. I’m glad that you have been invited here to provide some political diversity. But I think most of us would rather read some original insights rather than a throwaway comment about a newspaper article.

3. Bill Simon says:

Hmmmm…I’m not so sure about that Cobb. If the Office of the Governor is being used in a way that financially benefits the officeholder of that position, then I think people WILL care.

A better question would be to you: IF the perpetrator was a Democrat who held the office now, would you be as laid-back and uncaring about the issue?

4. Mad Dog says:

Bill,

Thoughful comment.

I wouldn’t say there is a double standard for Taylor vs. Perdue. I’d shout it from the highest mountains.

I’m so tired of hearing _____ people saying that Hilliary Clinton is/was a di__ bit__.

For those playing this version of internet Hang Man on mind altering chemicals… try using the letters, k,e,c,h.

Fill in your own _____ _____.

5. LINDA says:

Bobby,

I would now like the scoop on those “sweetheart lease deals” that Taylor and his family are getting from the State per the Primary Campaign that Cathy Cox waged. I want the nitty gritty. And then, I would like to know why are all of these facts suppressed about Perdue by the press?????? People could have voted for McBerry in the Primary! We may as well just drag two crooks that work in the boiler rooms on Wall Street to run for Governor of Georgia!

6. dingleberry says:

Bobby,

I bet the Georgia Democratic Party is pissed off to no end knowing that they didn’t let you resign. If this is the best the leader of the party can come up with, what does that say for the rest of the party?

Bobby Kahn is the Howard Dean of Georgia.

7. rightofcenter says:

Interesting thing is that more information involving the timing of this is in the public domain, yet Bookman didn’t know about it (or didn’t include it in his column). For instance, Gov. Perdue didn’t file his tax return two days after signing this bill….he applied for an extension. Also, the house didn’t rush the bill to his desk….it took a couple of weeks. Just little things that make this look less conspiratorial than the picture the GDC or their lapdog Bookman are trying to paint. For more accurate information, please follow this link: http://new.savannahnow.com/node/131583

8. Dignan says:

Bobby: struck a nerve? pu-leeze!

I wouldn’t be surprised if Purdue were involved in shady dealings. But you know what they say about glass houses and rocks.

How about you tell us something we don’t know?

You are not only doing your party a disservice but the entire state a disservice with your lackluster leadership. Heaven help us if the Republican party has no real competition to keep it honest. You could create that competition but you aren’t.

9. GetReal says:

By law, Perdue would have had to pay the taxes expected to be due by April 15, or pay penalties and interest. Filing for an extension is not a way to pay later, it only gives you more time to get information to put on the full return.

So if Perdue was following the law by paying the money due for his 2004 taxes by April 15, 2005, he did lessen his state income tax bill due the same week by $100,000 when he signed HB 488. The fact that he filed an extension doesn’t change that.

10. MountainDawg says:

Bobby-
    Is this the best Democrats in Georgia can hope for? After 140 years in power, many Democrats in North Georgia believed that 2004 was a fluke and this election cycle would return them to power. I’m glad to see you proving them wrong. It is a shame to see that Georgia Democrats have still produced no plan to help average Georgians and believe fingerpointing will win the election. If this is the best you have, Libertarians will be more of a threat to the state Republican party than the Democratic “machine” has been this year.

11. atlantaman says:

“How about talking about what Democrats stand for rather than silly mudslinging that no one cares about?”

In a conservative state like Georgia the Democrats can’t talk about what they stand for, it would mean never winning a statewide election. Just wait until after the election, there is going to be a massive upheaval within the ranks of the Democrat party. Why do you think they put off having their Party Chairman election until after the November elections – because they didn’t want to deal with the controversy when they install a new Party Chair that makes Bobby Kahn look like Pat Buchanan.

The Dem leadership in the Legislature will change as well. Dubois and company will be thrown out of their positions and radical leftists will be installed wanting to honor Jane Fonda every single day of the year, have reparations and punish anyone who makes over $40,000 a year.

12. Thig says:

Sometimes the ends does justify the means. I have handled many tax-free 1031 exchanges and have seen a lot of people benefit from this change in the law, not just Purdue. Georgia has made many changes in the tax law to bring it into comformity with the Federal tax code and this is just another one.

13. debbie0040 says:

The finger pointing has started. The bottom line is someone connected to Perdue may have requested it, but it would not have passed without members of the committee voting in favor of it. I am curious to see if anyone spoke up against it. Surely they knew what they were voting on…

14. rightofcenter says:

First of all, GetReal, the timing is a non-issue because any taxpayer would have up to three years to amend a return. So whether the bill was signed on April 12 or July 12, it makes no difference. Secondly, where do you get the $100,000 figure? Have you seen his tax return and thus no what his basis in the land was? If not, do you always blindly take what you read in the papers and assume it to be fact?

15. Bobby Kahn says:

The finger-pointing is being done by Republicans, namely the nominee for Lt. Governor. The lynchpin in this whole deal is Larry O’Neal, who until 3 months before was Perdue’s floor leader. He was the lawyer on some of the Georgia real estate transactions, is Chairman of Ways and Means, and is very familiar with tax law, as well as Perdue’s tax situation.

I find it interesting that most of the responses to the original post are non-responsive. They deal with me, the Democratic Party, etc. I can take it, but why has no one defended the Governor on the merits? Why is it OK for him to be actively involved in the management of his INVESTMENT assets, and deal with a guy with interests before state government? Did he pay estimated taxes on the Georgia capital gain? After all, the law didn’t change until April 12, 2005, just two weeks after it passed and one day after it landed in his office (most bills sit for at least a week).

As for Mark Taylor, he has received no benefit from those leases, which pre-date his public service and in some cases, even his graduation from college. The Lt. Gov. has specifically responded, and indicated he has not benefited. Perdue, on the other hand, was cut in a deal that will make him 10s of millions of dollars, and signed a tax bill which allowed him to pocket 100k. That’s the difference, and that is a specific response.

16. debbie0040 says:

Bobby, I never said the finger pointing was not being done by Cagle. I did not mention him by name because you would have had responses accusing me of being anti Cagle and just trying to hurt Cagle because he defeated Reed. In essence what would have insued would have been the posters attacking the messenger instead of the message…

The truth is all on that committee bear responsibility…

I am suprised that Cagle turned on Perdue so quickly with finger pointing when he bears part of the blame.

17. debbie0040 says:

The truth is no laws were broken. Perdue is not the only one to benefit. No one on that commitee should be criticizing a bill they helped pass.

I wonder if anyone has figures to show just how many people did benefit from that?

18. Mad Dog says:

“No laws were broken.”

If you’re writing the laws, then BACK DATING THE LAWS, … well, what laws matter?

19. GOPeach says:

Jay Bookman…???!!!!!

Oh my Lord!

He has been on our prayer list for
    quite some time ( along with
    Cynthia Tucker)…

He is a gay Jew who has a deephatred for Christians. It is
    common knowledge among
    most people who ever read
    Jay’s oppinions.

Bless his little heart.
    He loathes strong social conservatives.
    They just freak him out.

I am so not surprised that he would
    spin something on our good Christian
    Governor!

I find good use for the AJC when
    lining the floor when I am
    painting chairs and things.

I suggest getting them used from
    the library.

20. gatormathis says:

Ladies and Gentlemen, Tommorrow, the 9th, Casey will be just north of Pitts Georgia at the Bullock farm, along with the complete Republican ticket, minus maybe one or two. US 280 to Pitts Ga, then north on 215 to Bullock’s Farm, look for the cars and campaign signs. BBQ lunch, entertainment and sno-cones for all.
    Come on, be glad to have ya!

21. Bill Simon says:

I have to say, nothing I’ve heard from the governor’s campaign has eased my concerns of this smelling way too dirty to overlook.

If this late insertion in the bill was truly “clean,

22. debbie0040 says:

MD, The taxes were deferred. That bill did not just benefit Perdue. As a Republican, I think taxes are too high anyway. It is our money, not the government’s money. I find it hard to oppose a bill that defers taxes.

There have been numerous bills passed that were back dated to be retroactive.

If this is the worst the Dems have, then Sonny will have a cake walk in November.

23. Bill Simon says:

GOPeach,

You said this: “[Bookman] is a gay Jew who has a deep hatred for Christians. It is common knowledge among most people who ever read Jay’s opinions.”

Common knowledge, huh? Do please expound on the great breadth of knowledge you obviously possess that has informed you that Jay Bookman is A) Jewish, and B) Gay.

Because I’ve been reading his columns for a few years, and though he doesn’t buy into the fanatical Christian agenda, that doesn’t mean he has a “deep hatred” for it either.

24. GOPeach says:

Hey Bill Simon-

Just call him up and ask him…
    He will be happy to tell you ANYTHING
    you want to know.

He is both:

A. Jewish
    B. Gay

Thus the tone in all his oppinions
    about any and all straight Christian public servants.

Jay Bookman is not a nice person.

I find this sad as I am married to a Jewish man
    who happens to have many Christian fanatical
    friends. He is glad they have resolve and an openly
    love God.

FYI –
    Here are some men and women who mocked God:

JOHN LENNON:

Some years before during his interview with an American Magazine,
    He said: “Christianity will end, it will disappear.I do not have to argue
    about that. I am certain. Jesus was ok, But his subjects were too simple,
    Today we are more famous than Him”

(1966).Lennon, after saying that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus
    Christ, was shot six times.

TANCREDO NEVES (President of Brazil):
    During the Presidential campaign, he said if he got 500 votes from his
    Party, not even God would remove him from Presidency.

Sure he got the votes, but he got sick a day before being made
    President, then he died.

CAZUZA (Bi-sexual Brazilian composer, singer and poet):

During a show in Rio de Janeiro , whilst smoking his
    Cigarette, he puffed out some smoke into the air and said:
    God, that’s for you.”

He died at the age of 32 of AIDS in a horrible manner.

THE MAN WHO BUILT TITANIC:

After the construction of Titanic, a reporter asked him how safe the
    Titanic would be. With an ironic tone he tone he said:
    “Not even God can sink it”

The result: I think you know what happened to the Titanic!

MARILYN MONROE:
    She was visited by Billy Graham during a presentation of a show.
    After hearing what the Preacher had to say, she said:
    I don’t need your Jesus”

A week later, she was found dead in her apartment.

BON SCOTT:

The ex-vocalist of the AC/DC. On one of his 1979 songs he sang:
    “Don’t stop me, I’m going down all the way, wow the highway to
    Hell”.

On the 19th of February 1980, Bon Scott was found dead, he had
    been choked by his vomit.

CAMPINAS/SP IN 2005
    In Campinas, Brazil a group of friends, drunk, went to pick up a friend
    The mother accompanied her to the car and was so worried about
    The drunkenness of her friends and she said to the daughter – holding her
    hand, who was already seated in the car:

“MY DAUGHTER, GO WITH GOD AND MAY HE PROTECT YOU”,
    She responded:

“ONLY IF HE (GOD) TRAVELS IN THE BOOT (trunk), COZ INSIDE HERE IT’S ALREADY FULL”

Hours later, news came by that they had been involved in a fatal accident,
    Everyone had died, the car could not be recognized what type of car it had
    been, but surprisingly, the boot was intact.

The police said there was no way the boot could have remained intact.
    To their surprise, inside the boot was a crate of eggs, none was broken.

I don’t know Bill –
    It seems far more safe to associate with the “fanatical Chrisians” than
    those who mock Him and His devout followers.

25. Bill Simon says:

Hmmm..let’s look at some others who have mocked God’s Commandments:

Ralph Reed: Ralph said God told him to run for Lt. Governor…and, he lost.

Pat Robertson: Robertson told us at the beginning of this year that he talked to God and God told him this would be the worst year ever for hurricanes and the coastal regions of the U.S. would be slammed much worse than they were last year.

Alan Keyes: In 2004, Alan Keyes told everyone that he was running for Senate in Illinois becuase God told him to run….and, he lost.

All of these supposed “Christian leaders” have done nothing but take God’s name in vain and yet they are still alive.

In short, GOPeach, your supposed “linking” of what some people have said about God and their subsequent death doesn’t always seem to hold true. I guess what you’re saying is that if one is a fanatic about their belief in a deity (be it God, Jesus Christ, or Allah), then they can live a long and healthy life while constantly taking the Name of their Lord in vain, and using it to hurt others without any fear, eh?

26. Mad Dog says:

Good points, Bill.

Don’t forget Cagle telling Ralph he was confirmed by God and Chamblis saying he had a calling…

At the same time, I remember Kennedy wearing his Catholic faith very comfortably. But, still having to deny any role as the Catholic Candidate for President.

Just trying to say that faith and politics have mixed alot in our country.

I think your point is well taken, that people look at results and then build backwards. Not look at today’s behavior and project tomorrows … well … Hand of God retribution.

If God were really killing all the bad people, I’d cheer it on. (if I were still here!)

27. GOPeach says:

Bill Bill Bill –

God could have very well told Ralph Reed to run for Lt. Gov.
    He did not tell him he was going to win this time.

Get the facts straight.

As for Pat Robertson – God may have told him these things…
    People could have prayed and it prevented these disasters.
    God answers prayers.

God could have also told Alan Keyes to run..
    This does not mean God intends for him to win the seat.
    I honestly believe loosing an election can be a blessing.
    The experience in running is priceless. The people you
    meet and the things you learn opens many doors.

WInning is not everything. Sometimes a campaign is
    a great way to get out a message and make people
    think.

The Christian leaders you mentions did not
    “Take God’s name in vain”.

Taking God’s name in vain deals with making a vow –
    Swearing in God’s name…

I think you are confused Bill. To group Jesus with Allah
    is over the top. There is no connection what so ever.

Hey – the day I die… I want to die praising God not mocking
    him and those who are trying their best to follow Him.

MAD DOG –

I don’t think God is killing bad people-

I believe when they deny Him of His rightful place and they
    “bash Him” – they become “their own God” and reject His
    divine protection. They are then a victim of fate as opposed
    of a victor of faith!

Galatians 6:7
    Be not deceived; God is not mocked:
    for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

There is NO WAY to take God out of The Civil Government.
    The only way is to take God out of the people in the civil
    government ( AKA politoics) and THAT WILL NEVER
    happen…

My best advice it to honor God and honor those who
    honor God. People are not perfect. Cut these leaders
    some slack. They are learnig just like all of us.

I am glad Casey, Ralph, Pat, etc…give God the
    time of day. Bless them all.

28. rightofcenter says:

GOPeach,
    Please for the love of God change your name! Fortunately most people in the GOP are more tolerant and less “fanatical” than you, or I might have to change my name to “leftofcenter”. Not to get into a theological discussion with you, because I have learned that there is no point in discussing theology with someone who is absolutely convinced that their interpretation of the scriptures is THE TRUTH and that anyone who gleans a different perspective from the same scripture is bound for hell, but you are aware that God causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust?

29. GOPeach says:

Right of Center…

Did you say ” for the love of God” ????

Do you love God?

Then why don’t you act like it????

30. GOPeach says:

Right of Center…

You seem a little tense.

Actually you seem to have very media driven view
    of Conservative Christian Republicans …

It’s really easy to type cast everyone that
    stands from Biblical Views as someone who
    is sendning everyone to hell that disagrees
    with them…

Seems you are a bit spooked by folks who
    are GROUNDED and ROOTED in a greater
    law.

There were 10 original laws and those
    were ignored and or broken so we have to
    elect people to fix the original 10 to
    fit our ideas and somehow get God
    out of our government and keep Him
    away from the polls on election day
    so we can be God instead.

Is that your logic???

31. Mad Dog says:

GOP Peach,

I respect faith. Not religion.

If as you used the word fate (“They are then a victim of fate as opposed
    of a victor of faith!”), you mean those without ‘your definition of God’ (not quoting you but using a phrase of my own) then fate is a higher power than ‘your definition of God?’

32. GOPeach says:

Mad Dog –

“Fate” means something that befalls a person
    that could be prevented by humility or a change
    of heart, etc…

Faith is a trust in God.

I have personally experieneced things in my life
    change through prayer and faith in God.

For instance, I had an illness that was incurable.
    Some would say that the illness was “fate”.

I believe that fate was changed by my faith in
    God’s goodness and power to do the immpossible.

I do not have a religion in God. I have a faith.in God.
    I do not see Christianity as a religion. I see it as my faith.
    In other words it is not a learned behavior, nor is it
    a list of rules and bitter judgements.

There is only one way to understand God-
    that is through the life of Christ…

It’s not about ” my religion is better than
    your religion” … It is about forgivess and
    mrecy.

God shed His grace on me and thee.

33. atlantaman says:

It’s amazing how what direction these blogs can turn. I thought I was going to read some more about Casey, Larry, Sonny and taxes.

34. rightofcenter says:

GOPeach, Actually what spooked me was reading your own words. I don’t pay too much attention to the media. As for your attempt to describe my logic, I must confess that it totally confused me.

35. Mad Dog says:

GOP peach,

I beg to differ on the number of original ‘laws’…

Do you count don’t eat the apple?

Name the animals?

Be fruitful and mulitply?

The choice of which laws were laws and which were combinations of prohibitions etc etc etc….

And which ones were inserted by priests …

My favorite is the one about there being other gods.

“Thou shalt have no other gods before me.”

And another one open to question, “I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.”

Did this “Lord thy God” not exist before Egypt and bondage?

It’s the old thing about if you only get to write 10 laws, why waste any ink talking about other gods and only date your own existence from Egypt, not creation?

Just one of those wonderful things in religions that … well … make me wonder if Jim Jones had the last laugh.

Both out of the King James and Exodus…

36. gatormathis says:

Bill Simon,

They may have left this off at Tech, but to enhance your speaking point, I think all male mammals have nipples. I mention this because I have heard the phrase “useless as the tits on a boar hog”, for many years.

I think someone used it in a Pundit blog the other day referencing a former President. It is still a fairly common phrase, even as society has become less agrarian these days. Makes you wonder don’t it.

As always, have a nice day.

37. Mad Dog says:

Bill,

Sort of like having ash trays inside every new car? Or left turn signals on gator’s car? I guess the rearview mirror is for applying make-up. Why can’t my car horn play Dixie?

Intelligent design just makes humans into tools. Right gator?

38. rightofcenter says:

Hey, I went to Tech, and they taught that in freshman biology!

As for the male nipple and intelligent design: perhaps it was strictly for erogenous purposes (brings to mind Kramer and the “manziere”).

Or perhaps it was to lay the groundwork for one of the great proverbs (in the non-bibilical sense) of our region (as described by gator above).

39. Bill Simon says:

JSM,

I’m really not that smart to begin with. I’m just smarter than a lot of people in politics. Which tells you exactly why we have the crap we have now for federal government representation: a bunch of dumbasses go out and vote for morons that are a reflection of themselves.

40. jsm says:

Bill,

These excerpts from an article by James A. Garfield (A Century of Congress. [The Atlantic monthly. / Volume 40, Issue 237, July 1877]) go very well with your statement, even though it was written almost 130 years ago:

“…now, more than ever before, the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption. If it be intelligent, brave, and pure, it is because the people demand those high qualities to represent them in the national legislature.”

“The most alarming feature of our situation is the fact that so many citizens of high character and solid judgment pay but little attention to the sources of
    political power, to the selection of those who shall make their laws. The clergy,
    the faculties of colleges, and many of the leading business men of the community
    never attend the township caucus, the city primaries, or the county convention; but they allow the less intelligent and the more selfish and corrupt members of the community to make the slates and “run the machine” of politics.”