New stadium for the Falcons?

Apparently Arthur Blank wants one:

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank said Wednesday that by 2015 or 2016, “I would suspect we will have a new stadium.”

Blank made the comment at a breakfast speech hosted by Atlanta Jewish Life magazine.

It’s all about the money:

Blank said the Georgia Dome agreement with the state was probably a good one when it was built, but that it is now less favorable than deals for teams in other cities. Blank said 23 new stadiums have been built since 1992.

I imagine Blank would want it to stay downtown, since after he purchased the Georgia Force indoor team, he moved them back to Phillips Arena and out of the Gwinnett Arena. However, a new football stadium would be very expensive.

I wonder what Mayor Franklin thinks about this?

1. atlantaman says:

“I wonder what Mayor Franklin thinks about this?”

No problem, just tack it onto the sales tax along with the sewer bill.

2. RiverRat says:

The article also mentions that Blank would like to see a new stadium where the Dome currently sits. Does that mean that the Falcons would play at Tech or in Athens while the new stadium was built?

A few predictions:

No one I’ve ever talked to feels like the Dome is old or dated – a new stadium would be a hard sell.

Those crazy liberal Atlantans would be about as happy about financing a new stadium with taxpayer funds as any Republican I know.

Those “fiscally conservative” business types at the Chamber will suddenly applaud massive goverment expenditure of this type. It will be “necessary” to “make the city competitive”.

Someone, maybe Shirley, maybe whoever comes next, maybe someone else entirely, will try to get the state to pay for part of a stadium if the city gets on the hook. (I have no idea personally if the state paid anything for the Dome – I suppose it is possible, but I doubt it. I’m sure there was a tax break like with the Aquarium and the world of coke, though).

3. bird says:

RiverRat,

I love the Falcons, but I won’t go see a game at the Dome because I hate the experience so much. On the other hand, I go to Turner Field every chance I get because the facility is so nice.

If you haven’t been in a while, you should check it out. The lighting, video screen, etc. are all subpar. If you look at some of the other new stadiums around the country with a retractable roof, I think the public could get behind it. And hotel-motel tax is the way to go on this.

4. gatormathis says:

So, all this relatively new infrastructure is “subpar”. They should have got it right the first time. How much debt is still owed on this facility anyway? Why tear down the dome to build something else on the site? Leave it for some purpose and build the other one somewhere else, in 30 more years. The motel tax isn’t allocated just to build sports venues either, surely it has a broader purpose.

5. Decaturguy says:

I would oppose the use of taxpayer funds to build a new stadium at this time. The dome could be made better right now without building a new stadium. However, lets remember that by 2016 the Dome will be 25 years old, about the same age as Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium was by the time they decided it needed to be replaced. A stadium’s shelf life is never more than about 30 years unless you are talking about something like Wrigley Field or Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park and they just aren’t making them like that anymore.

As great a ball park as it is, I’d even say that in about 15-20 years, they’ll be talking about a new stadium for the Braves. Maybe they’ll put it on a MARTA stop this time!

6. atlantaman says:

“And hotel-motel tax is the way to go on this.”

Atlanta is having enough trouble attracting new conventions and keeping the old ones without taxing the crap out of the conventioneers. Folks always think, “We’ll just tax the out of town people.” Well it’s not that simple, the out of town people have a lot of choices. New York City is a prime example, they taxed everything an out-of-town person does and the conventions started leaving their city.

Their are convention consultants who look at all aspects of a city, including number of hotel rooms and after tax costs.

7. Chris says:

Atlantaman,

Exactly. Conventioning is one of the major economic drivers for Atlanta. We start driving that away and we shoot ourselves in the foot.

Here is an idea for Mr. Blank: Look at what your buddy did on the other side of Centennial Park and buy a new stadium yourself. Cheapskate.