Good economic news = Perdue victory?

Gas prices remain low (as low as $2.33 in Jonesboro) and might be going lower (I’m sure someone posted that story here but I couldn’t find it). Even if they don’t go lower, but remain where they are, it will save my family about $50 a month, and that’s not nothing.

Delta Airlines reported a profit of $69 million in July, giving hope to those who rely on Delta for their livelihood.

Couple these two things with the good report on Georgia’s economy from Georgia State’s Economic Forecasting Center and you’ve got some very strong items for Governor Perdue to run on.

Can Mark Taylor overcome all the positive mojo Sonny has?

1. CHelf says:

Keep in mind Delta’s pension system is being tossed, Kia is up in the air, GM and Ford are closing up, GA’s unemployment is slightly higher than the national average. Is the Delta surplus before or after paying a nice chunk of debts owed?

When you have a majority of Americans in nationwide polls saying the economy is a concern, it shows that rosy economic numbers are not being felt by the bulk of the voters.

I am not trying to be a pessimist here but throwing a handful of rosy numbers out there out of a large pool of numbers doesn’t paint the perfect picture for any incumbent.

2. Clint Austin says:

Never in the history of mankind has one people had so much material wealth, yet been so deluded by the liberal media and the Democrat Party into thinking we are “worse off” or “headed in the wrong direction.”

That’s not excusing any PR failing of the GOP – simply pointing out that in objective terms, America’s economy is the greatest in the history of mankind.

And spare me the “economic divide” argument – Medicaid recipients in the South are the most obese people in the entire nation. Even our poor people are “fat from the fruits of the land.”

3. kspencer says:

Clint Austin, I agree we’re well off. On the other hand, I’ll state that people judge on their own experience.

Official inflation rate using the Fed’s inflation calculator says that everything averages 14% more today than it did in 2001. The question to ask is how many people you know who are making at least 14% more than they did five years ago. If it’s most people then the economy’s probably seen as doing fine. If it’s not so many people, then the economy is not doing well.

Unless I get a share, I could care less that company A is profitable. I care about MY wallet. And if I’m getting less – regardless of how much is still there – then I’m unhappy.

4. Bull Moose says:

Let me suggest that what is missing in today’s message is one of optimism. It is easy for Democrats to spin things as being worse off because if you watch the media, we live in a perputual state of fear.

We’ve got fear of criminals, fear of terror, fear of weather, fear of flying, fear of high gas prices, and then, the proverbial fear of the unknown.

Where is the bright message of hope and opportunity that America has weathered the storm but that we’re coming out of the clouds and with belief in our core values and that America is different because of her common experience and values that our way of life will continue to shine and be the envy of the world? Where is that message?

I’m sorry, but as much as I’m a political wonk, I’m also an idealist and I do not hear anyone really on the political screen really talking about our future and opportunities. It does worry me that Republicans are relying so heavily on this message of fear in order to win in November.

I think they need a little bit more than that to close the deal.

5. CHelf says:

Clint,

I don’t recall mentioning anything about Medicaid. My argument was about the average person out there. I’m not even saying a word about class divide either. But considering all factors involved and seeing firsthand some not so rosy situations in many towns in GA, I don’t buy into everyone is fat and well off. No we’re not all living on bread and water but we’re not all living off of filet mignon either. Perceptions and reality are separate here. You can toss out stock market numbers but how many people in rural GA care? How many people who won’t go to college care about SAT scores? People vote on how THEIR situation is. If they feel they are not getting a break or whatever, they will vote on that factor alone. If they have some fatcat or political consultant for a candidate telling them they’re better off when they feel differently, you’ll see a greater backlash.

Again, look at poll numbers across the country. Good economic numbers don’t translate into booming support for those in power right now. I don’t think it’s just media spin and bias taking its toll either. If things were as rosy as some are portraying, we wouldn’t be discussing a potential Congressional flipping of control.

Again, if you want to be optimistic, go right ahead. I err on the side of caution. It is too early and the mood is hard to predict right now. I just don’t choose to buy into a lot of the hand picked stats painting one picture when just as many, if not more can paint the opposite.

6. Clint, poor people can be fat if they eat crappy food. I could eat out for all of my meals every day of the year for only about $4,000. However, it would be at McDonalds every time and I’d probably weigh 400 pounds at the end of the year.

7. jsm says:

kspencer,

I’m making about 24% more now than I was in 2001, which includes one year that I got no raise. Some people I know have seen even better wage increases over the same period. Many professional positions see about 5% growth per year. If I’m calculating right, that would come to about 27.5% increase in 5 years. Even with 14% inflation, my wallet is better off since 2001.

8. kspencer says:

jsm,

Yep, for you the economy’s doing fine. However, if YOUR income went up 24% over that time frame, someone else’s didn’t. We can guess (emphasize GUESS) this is so since the median per capita individual income for Georgia only went up 11%, and Georgia’s Total Gross wages only went up 18% and the wages per employee (that is, total wages divided by number of people employed) went up 12%. Remember the estimated magic number for breaking even with inflation is 14%.

Your vote counts. But so do all the others.

Kirk

9. Mad Dog says:

Kirk,

That one at a time testimonial method, being used by jsm, works really well if you’re selling used cars.

My personal income is down about 5,000 percent from 2001. I started college in January of 2002. So my 2006 income is just about nothing compared to 2001. (I stopped working shortly after 9/11)

My debt burden is almost twice as much as it was in 2001, including my mortgage.

So my testimonial evidence would say the Republican suck at running a country’s economy.

So when ya visit the used car lots, do you listen to the salesman talking or the engine rod knocking?

Votes should do more than listen to the sales pitch or just kick a few tires.

Will they?

10. This article may describe what some are feeling on the ecomomic front:

Whining Over Discontent
    By PAUL KRUGMAN
    We are, finally, having a national discussion about inequality, and right-wing commentators are in full panic mode. Statistics, most of them irrelevant or misleading, are flying; straw men are under furious attack. It’s all very confusing — deliberately so. So let me offer a few clarifying comments.

First, why are we suddenly talking so much about inequality? Not because a few economists decided to make inequality an issue. It’s the public — not progressive pundits — that has been telling pollsters the economy is “only fair