Bush policy speech series comes to Atlanta

The President’s recent series of major War on Terror policy speeches will continue tomorrow in Atlanta, according to Sara Taylor, White House director of political affairs, who said that these addresses are not only timed to coincide with the upcoming fifth anniversary of 9/11, but are also prescient due to the fact that the Supreme Court has forced the administration’s hand in dealing with the large number of high-level terrorists in US custody.

“What we are seeing here is unparallelled leadership on the part of the President,” said White House deputy communications director Danny Diaz. “The real impact of this, though, is and needs to be on the local level.”

“There’s a choice this fall for voters… between candidates and a Party who have been, and will be, aggressive in the Global War on Terror, and a party which wants to surrender the tools necessary to win the GWOT.”

1. atlantaman says:

I agree with everything he said, the trouble is our guys in Washington drank the Kool-Aid. It’s getting to the point where there is very little difference between a Republican and a Democrat. On spending issues there is no difference. Both sides put out some pretty good rhetoric, but when you really sit down and look at the non-military spending over the last 6 years George Bush and the Republican Congress have made Bill Clinton and the Republican Congress look like a bunch of Libertarians.

I think what’s happened is incumbancy has set-in. Our guys are on the defensive, happy with the status-quo, very timid in their actions worried they’ll upset a particular group. I miss the days of the bold leadership of Ronald Reagan and Newt Gingrich.

2. atlantaman says:

Sorry, I meant to file my comments under the Newt headline – although it’s still appropriate under the current heading.

3. JP says:

The only truth in that whole statement is “There’s a choice this fall for voters…”

It just happens to be a choice between continuing to live scared following the same course which has “shocked and awed” Iraq into civil war, and one that recognizes that strength tempered by intellect–that reserves the right to use force, but uses it only WHEN NECESSARY–is the better course.

There’s a choice, alright.

4. RandyMiller says:

Many of you probably know this but I thought I’d mention it just in case. The movie United 93 has been released on DVD in time for the 5th aniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Even if you saw it in theatres as I did, see it again. Even though it’s tense and violent as hell, it’s a great way to remember the victims and their families, as well as the sacrificies of our men and women in uniform.

5. buzzbrockway says:

I saw “United 93.” It was intense, but a must see. I also would recommend Oliver Stone’s “World Trade Center.” It’s not a emotially raw and “United 93” but it’s well done and totally free of politics.

I also plan to watch ABC’s “The Path to 9/11” on Sunday and Monday nights. The uproar over it has peaked my interest – anything to annoy the Kos Kids. 🙂

6. UGA Wins 2006 says:

I thought the President’s speech was one of the best of his Presidency. He was articulate, well reasoned and passionate.

His message must be heard: This is not a short term war that will be won next week, month or year. We are in a war for the survival of western civilization against the Islamofacists who brought the war to our shores five years ago and have been killing Americans since at least 1983. We can certainly get out of Iraq tomorrow and stand on the sidelines to watch the blood bath at the hands of the butchers who regularly target women, kids and the old and who slaughter American POWs like cattle. Religous freedom is conveniently forgotten by those who scream for it here, so that in the middle east when non Muslims are killed, not a peep comes from the hard core left in America.

We were giving peace a chance on Sept 10, 2001 when all pretext of peace ended the next morning. They brought the war to us and we must face the fact that war is upon us and fight it to the finish. We must have the resolve to see it through to success or we will see the end of western civilization.

Argue with that if you like, but they have proven time and again they would take much of the world back to the 7th century given the chance.

7. Jeff Emanuel says:

I saw United 93, and haven’t yet seen WTC. I view U93 much as I did “The Passion” — something that all need to see once, but which I will never see again.

8. Chris says:

I was glad he finally called upon Congress to do their job and pass the laws authorizing him to do what needs to be done, specifically for the NSA border intercepts and military tribunals.

9. gatormathis says:

I was sitting at the outdoor section of a resturant last night with some friends. They got to hashing the Iraq war a little bit. I gave em a few minutes and said shhhhhhhh……listen, ya’ll hear that ticking. Cars park right up next to the area we were sitting. I said folks, that’s the problem, over there, that car might just be fixing to blow, you’ve saw the bomb scenes on the news. We take being here, able to eat good food in peace and comfort way to much for granted. If you think that’s a little melodramatic, next time you’re out in a shopping mall, outdoor venue, or anywhere else just think for a few minutes. What if I had to wonder where the bomb was all day as I tried to go about my daily activities? That would really suck.