Immigration not on the agenda?

Apparently, according to the New York Times, immigration reform is not on the Republican agenda for the last session before adjourning for elections…

I’m sorry, but if both houses of Congress can’t accomplish comprehensive reform on immigration, they should at least take steps to secure the border. Senator Johnny Isakson offered the best solution to the impasse. His solution was to first, before anything else, secure our border.

You can’t have credibility on national security issues without taking serious the threat of an open border. Right now, our open border is the greatest threat to our national security.

Click here for the article.

1. CHelf says:

I am just a little curious as to what dropped this whole issue off the map. It was just a few months ago that this issue was the whole election and American way of life. It was the number one issue being discussed, it was in town hall meetings, it was in marches, it was number one in polling. But now it has been completely dropped?

My guess is that the GOP was completely divided on the issue and a lot of negativity towards the President by many in his own party was being generated. I would go out on a limb to say that now Rove is back behind the wheel with no distractions that anything that divides the party is off the list. His whole philosophy has been making this entire administration and related elections about the war on terror and it seems this is the case.

What we’ll see is if the base of this issue will also be pushed to the side. After being whipped into a frenzy, even by many of the delegation in this state, will this group focusing on this issue just bow out to be placed from Priority One to next Congress? After being told a priority this is, will so many Americans who are concerned about this issue let this one slide for the GOP’s reelction benefit?

2. Harry says:

Politics is the art of the possible…right now the House and Senate versions are irreconcilable. Rs are cool to let it ride till after the election.

3. I think R’s in the House are hoping to use it as a reason for voters to vote for them in November. Obviously, a vote for a dem is a vote for amnesty and open borders. Our only hope is having Republicans with enough guts to stand up to big biz and the El Presidente Jorge Bushito.

If they went ahead and reached agreement before November and the conservatives didn’t like the result, they wouldn’t have any reason to keep the current batch of R’s in office. If they reached agreement before November and the conservatives were happy with it, then it’s resolved and conservatives can feel free to vote based on other issues.

I think it’s their best play to table this and let the base get and stay riled up about it. R’s are our only hope on this issue. My only fear is that the R’s will fold like origami on amnesty after the election. I hope not.

4. Jace Walden says:

Yet another shining example of why the GOP needs to lose control of one of the two houses of Congress. Chalk another complete failure up to the most worthless Congress ever assembled.

Here is what is going to come out of this…

Immigration will be put off until after the election. The Democratic Party will take the House. The House Bill which focuses on Border Security and Enforcement will die. The Senate Amnesty bill will pass the House under new Democratic leadership. Good job, Congressional Republicans. You have managed to do nothing! You can’t get much more “less government” than that.

5. pvsys says:

Bull Moose,

I can’t believe it… but I not only agree with your post 100%… I very strongly agree with you! Securing the border ought to be priority #1. It should have been done “yesterday”.

But I thought they did decide to build a fence? I remember there being a problem where they didn’t fund the fence.. and then they reversed themselves and decided to fund it. So I’m confused… either they really didn’t to this, or they did, or perhaps the larger point is that they are taking their sweet time and not really making this fence happen fast enough or across the entire border.

Does anyone know what is really going on?

–Rob McEwen

6. debbie0040 says:

Two of the Senate Republicans that would not approve the House version are running for President. They are John McCain and Bill Frist. They are pro amnesty for illegal immigrants.

The Senate’s stance and Bush’s stance in illegal immigration will cause the GOP to lose in November. Thank God , we have two great Senators in Isakson and Chambliss that are fighting the Senate Illegal Immigration Bill.

If you, or someone you know uses Miller Brewing products, you need to take a look at this link.

7. debbie0040 says:

McCain should be protested when he comes to Georgia about his stance on illegal immigration. Maybe that will send a message loud and clear….

8. Bull Moose says:

It’s careless and irresponsible to suggest that we should round up the 12 million or so illegal aliens that are here now and send them back to Mexico or wherever it is they are from. It would be a disaster of a policy. Those that feed that frenzy are doing so at a disservice to the body politic.

First, we must secure the border. I personally think that the entire southern border needs to be secure, not just portions of it.

Once that happens, then we should go about the process of identifying and documenting every alien that is in our country. Some deserve to be put on the path toward earned citizenship. Others do need to be deported right away.

Senator McCain and others, including the President, are being realistic about the policy toward aliens already in the country.

What I think is sad is that immigration reform is being shelved to be an election year fear ploy. I’m personally tired of voting out of fear.

9. Jace Walden says:

Bull,

The only thing “careless and irresponsible” is to allow 12 million people who broke the law to enter this country to continue to stay here. Reagan tried amnesty once. It failed. Surely you can learn from the past.

There is a way to remove 12 million people from this country. But it requires action, not the pandering offered by Never-Gonna-Be-President McCain and Never-Gonna-Be-A-Good-President Bush.

First and foremost, I agree with you. The entire southern border needs to be secured. Build the fence. No, it won’t stop everyone, but that doesn’t automatically make it a failure. Keep the guard on the border. Increase the number of border patrol agents.

Second–ENFORCE and strengthen sanctions against employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens. Put them in jail. Let them do the perp walk. It’ll send a message. Eventually, most employers will stop hiring illegal aliens. Taking away some incentive for coming here.

Third–Remove incentives for staying in America. I.E. Welfare, Social Security. Johnson’s “Great Society” Programs and the current Illegal Immigration Crisis are inseparable. Take away the “Welfare State”.

Fourth–Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) needs to step up raids and grow a pair. Not just raids that net 1000 illegal aliens. Round up the onezies and twozies as well. For instance. The lady holed up in that church in Chicago…they need to go in there arrest her, and arrest the head of that church for harboring an illegal alien. If it was a mass murderer holed up in that Church, you bet your ass they would go in there.

If you cut off services, cut off the job supply to illegal aliens, start deportations on a mass scale, and truly secure the border, the problem will solve itself. We won’t even have to deport 12 million. Most will leave because they can’t find a job or a welfare check. Like I said, it takes action. Not the typical pandering offered up by John McCain.

Bull,

To suggest that those of us who advocate enforcing our nations laws are somehow “part of the problem” is just about the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. The problem is when apatheic people, I have to assume like yourself (from what you just wrote), would rather sweep the problem under the rug than deal with it.

There is a way to solve this problem without granting amnesty. Bull Moose, you need to wake up to it.

10. debbie0040 says:

AMEN! Jace, Very well said.

This email about illegal immigration is circulating around the internet . It makes you think and is right on target! We can not reward violating our immigration laws. It punishes those that followed them….

A lady wrote the best letter in the Editorials in ages!! It explains
    things better than all the baloney you hear on TV.

Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country
    protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of
    illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might protect
    its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and,
    once here, to stay indefinitely. Let me see if I correctly understand
    the thinking behind these protests.

Let’s say I break into your house. Let’s say that when you discover me
    in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, “I’ve made all the beds
    and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors; I’ve
    done all the things you don’t like to do. I’m hard-working and honest
    (except for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters , not only must you let me stay, you must
    add me to your family’s insurance plan, educate my kids, and provide other
    benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because
    he too is hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part). If you
    try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket
    your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there.

It’s only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and
    I’m just trying to better myself. I’m hard-working and honest, um, except
    for well, you know.

And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing only a
    fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it
    without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being an
    anti-housebreaker. Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can
    communicate with me

11. debbie0040 says:

There will be no nedd for mass deportation. Once you take away incentives for them to be here, (jobs, health care, education, etc) they will leave themselves and move on to greener pastures. After SB 529 passed in Georgia, they have begun doing that.

12. debbie0040 says:

INVASION USA
    Mexican flag flies at U.S. post office

Old Glory stamped on in protest by backers of illegal immigration

WorldNetDaily.com

Posted: August 29, 2006

Backers of illegal immigration at a rally near Los Angeles took down an American flag at a U.S. post office, stamped on it and replaced it with a Mexican flag as police looked on, according to witnesses and a video of the event.

Police officers in Maywood, Calif., Saturday eventually came to the pole to remove the flag but had bottles and rocks thrown at them, a radio listener named Sandra reported to the Terry Anderson show, heard on KRLA in Los Angeles.

A video can be viewed here, and photographs can be seen here on the website of Save our State, a border-security group represented there along with the Minutemen to protest Maywood declaring itself a “sanctuary city” for illegal aliens.

The radio listener, volunteering for Save our State, said that when she arrived at the rally she was rushed by counter-protesters who called out, “Death to the Minutemen.”

Sign at protest in Maywood, Calif. (courtesy: Bridget Johnson)

“They pushed me around and told me if I was to take one step further, they would beat the s*** out of me,” Sandra said. “I looked to the back of me and there were about four police officers leaning on their vehicle just watching, doing nothing!”

As she stepped forward, Sandra said, the counter-protesters stole her sign and ripped it up as another threw water on her.

A police officer eventually escorted her to her group.

The opposition, she said, began to get louder, and then “we watched as they took the American flag off of the flag pole and stepped on it on the ground at the United States post office and mounted a Mexican flag, and up it went.”

At this point , she said, “the police did nothing.”

“Finally, they went over to take it down, and they had bottles and rocks thrown at them,” she said. “They did not attempt to arrest anyone. They were unable to take it down because they cut the wrong line so the flag remained there for the rest of the day.”

A police officer eventually escorted her to her group.

At this point , she said, “the police did nothing.”

Sandra said that as police officers watched, another woman was beaten, as well as an elderly man, noting the counter-protesters “tend to pick on the weaker targets.”

“I believe that all Americans need to know about this and need to see that Mexican flag hanging at an American post office,” she wrote to Anderson. “We are being invaded and the American people need to wake up!”

Blogger Bridget Johnson, who also was at the event, said that along with Maywood’s flouting of immigration law, as a “sanctuary city,” it has disbanded its police department’s traffic unit so illegals without driver’s licenses won’t be fearful of getting their cars towed.

Referring to the supporters of open borders, she called it an “afternoon chock full of racism, ‘reconquista’ and riot cops, which included a sign claiming North America is a ‘stolen continent.'”

Johnson said that “after the local post office took down the American flag at closing time, pro-immigration demonstrators promptly ran the Mexican flag up the flagpole. Eventually, police officers surrounded the flagpole and tried to get the Mexican flag down, but the cords got twisted and they could only lower it to half-staff.”

In March, a high school in Southern California punished a student for involvement in a protest in which a Mexican flag was flown above an upside-down U.S. flag.

The incident took place at Montebello High School in Montebello, Calif., when students walked out of classes at area schools in protest of a proposed federal immigration bill.

In April, a Tucson, Ariz., man was arrested after he burned a Mexican flag while demonstrating against the flow of illegal aliens into the United States over the southern border.

Thousands of supporters of illegal aliens gathered in April to protest events in over 60 cities nationwide, but most left home the Mexican flag, because of the controversy it had stirred in previous events.

In what was being called a “campaign for immigrants’ dignity,” demonstrators instead carried the U.S. flag, a noticeable change from previous rallies in opposition to immigration-reform legislation pending in Congress.

13. Jeff Emanuel says:

Bull, Senator McCain’s plan is far from being “realistic.” In order for his plan to work, people who have come here illegally, and who have jobs and relative stability and security, have to voluntarily give themselves up — because he won’t look for them — and turn themselves in. Then, while remaining in the country, they pay a fine and are put on the path to citizenship — both of which are rewards being given them for breaking the law, and both of which put and keep them ahead of the people who are actually waiting to legally immigrate here.

Expecting people who have been here for years flying under the radar to simply come out of the woodwork and give themselves up is no more realistic than the idea that we can round up and send home 12 million criminals (and that is what they are, by virtue of their being here — because of how they got here).

What appears to be the best plan going right now is to secure the border, and to take away the incentives for illegals to be here, by going to the source: employers. Georgia’s SB 529 does that to an extent, and Senator Isakson has the right idea on border security.

However, the McCain-KENNEDY bill — don’t forget the other sponsor — is as unrealistic as Mike Pence’s call for illegals to voluntarily “self-deport” to designated “Ellis Island centers.” The sad fact, which Mr. Pence and Mr. McCain, among others, don’t seem to be getting, is that illegals are not going to (a)voluntarily leave, or (b)voluntarily turn themselves in and pay a fine when they can just keep on doing what they’ve been doing for years even if they don’t.

14. Bull Moose says:

Jace you took my comment out of context… How do you propose dealing with families where one parent is a citizen and the other may not be? Or where the children are citizens, but the parents are not? There needs to be some level of compassion here.

I agree with just about everything you said. In fact Jace, I can’t think of one position that I don’t disagree. I just have this horrible image in my head of the actual implications of a “round-up” of illegals going very very bad.

Let’s get back to the point. First, we must secure the border. Two, we must enforce the laws on the books. Three, we must cut off all “citizen benefits” for lack of a better term, to all illegal aliens. Three, we must allow safe passage to anyone wanting to leave. Four, we must overhaul our entire immigration program. These don’t all happen at the same time. If we do any of the others without first securing the border, we’re going to just make the problem worse.

Let’s stick to where we agree and push Congress to act now, not later.

15. Bull Moose says:

Jeff – you make good points… We’ve got to first secure the border regardless… We all agree on that point so I don’t know why Congress (both the House and Senate) want to delay on this point.

To me, how can you be serious about national security without addressing the fact that our border is wide open and we have illegals pouring in like crazy…

Border Security is a key component of National Security…

16. Philly says:

Debbie, Jace and Jeff all make excellent points. The article Debbie posted shows they are not all peaceful, harmless workers that the Pro Immigration Lobby would have you believe.

I am baffled by Bull Moose. You defend Bush’s and McCains’ policies and they allow amnesty for illegal aliens, yet you agree with what Jeff and Jace had to say. Are you trying to play both sidesof the fence?

Any Senator that voted for that Senate Immgration Bill (Kennedy- McCain) should be voted out of office.

Debbie, that was a great idea to protest McCain when he comes to Georgia. I hope someone organizes one. Imagine the publicity, Republicans protesting the policy of another Republican.

It is time eleceted officials see that they can not longer hide behind the Republican label.

17. Jace Walden says:

Bull,

You’re right. We should focus on what we agree on and get lawmakers to actually do something. That’s probably a stretch for this congress though.

However, I do have easy solutions to the problems you just posted. I’d be glad to share them with you.

18. Philly says:

Bull mosse said, “How do you propose dealing with families where one parent is a citizen and the other may not be? Or where the children are citizens, but the parents are not? There needs to be some level of compassion here. ”

I am sick and tired of expectant mothers running over the border illegally so they can have their child in the U.S I support the “Anchor Baby” Bill. The mother should be made to go home.

If they are in our country illegally then they are not entitled to compassion. They use that against us. If they are in the country illegally, they have no rights whatsoever as far as I am concerned.

19. Harry says:

But in the real world, what you folks are suggesting – basically the House version – doesn’t have the Senate support and thus can’t pass this year. If you want to see McCain Kennedy in 2007, then don’t support Republicans in November. simple.

20. Big Mack says:

There is a way to handle this situation without amnesty being granted. After the border is secured, you gather them all up and put them across the border. Then you let them back in and charge them $10,000.00 each to make up for the back income taxes never to be paid, the free healthcare, etc. that they have received. When they reenter the USA they will be given a real social security card (not the cards printed in Matamoros, Reynosa or Nuevo Laredo) and a permanent I. D. card that will identify them as part of the repatriated group. Then put them on the road to citizenship like any other alien. When they have qualified for citizenship, make them citizens.

Now let’s go back to the $10,000.00. When you read this, you thought “Why that ninny needs his head examined. They won’t have $10,000.00. Well they do.
    A coyote charges $ 3,000.00 per head to cross them into the USA. I know one that just bought a house and paid $30,000.00 cash for it. The country really does need them to do work that nobody else will do and we could actually finance the $10,000.00 for them if it was necessary and they could pay for it on the payroll deduction plan in the good old American way. I have read recently that there are 12,000,000 illegals in this great country of ours. At $10,000.00 per head that is $120,000,000,000.00. I am sure that all of the democrats that are accustomed to giving away huge sums of other peoples money will recognize that this is 120 billion and that aint chicken feed to Republicans. It will work if the bozos in Congress would pass it. “If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress?” (courtesy of redstate.com yesterday) I love that statement.

21. CHelf says:

Debbie,

You praise our two GA Senators but it looks like they’ve fallen in line with the White House on inaction on the entire issue. So I think your praise is a little too premature. So before thanking God, make sure you thank the braintrusts who are bumping this issue for the sake of elections and all of the GOP for falling into line for it.

Again, I remind those who are on this illegal immigration bandwagon who are saying it is irresponsible for letting these illegals break the law, I ask you when are you going to call for the Americans who are breaking the law just the same to be punished? Each one of you here that are supporting the bills up there now are actually supporters of AMNESTY, you know that real nasty word that is bandied about? Why would you only punish illegals for breaking the law but give Americans for breaking the law amnesty? If you honestly want to punish illegal behavior either do it across the board or not at all. Don’t give one group amnesty and another the boot.

22. Jeff Emanuel says:

Big Mack, If you can get all of the illegals out of the country in the first place to be able to charge the 10k to get back in…why not just keep ’em out, and have them wait at the back of the line with everybody else to come in legally?