Tunneling Under 285

Will this work?

The proposed tunnel would carry traffic from Sandy Springs Circle, north of I-285, to Kingsport Drive, the western border of the heavily Hispanic Northwood Drive neighborhood just south of the perimeter.

The tunnel would serve both local traffic and commuters. Those needing access to I-285 would still use Roswell Road, Galambos said.

1. Nativeson says:

Dignan,

Amen, brother. Former AJC editorialist David Goldberg has a great column on that very subject in Creative Loafing today.

2. Man, who knew that Eva Galambos and Rusty Paul honed their political chops in Massachusetts. Can universal healthcare and weekend furloughs for Sandy Springs residents and prisoners be far behind?

3. Mike says:

Since opening new roads does not help alleviate traffic, why don’t we close a few roads to help. Just think how much we could help congestion if we shut down 285! I really think I’m on to something here.

4. Mike Hauncho says:

I think it could work. The Roswell Rd. bridge over I-285 has been a problem for too many years and something needs to be done. I’m sure we will see in the coming months if the tunnel is the right idea or not. Either way, people are beginning to look for solutions to the problem. I cross that bridge everyday and it is a mess every time. Building new roads can alleviate traffic as long as the route is used properly. Redirecting traffic to the tunnel will reduce congestion on the bridge and could be a major improvement. This is in no way going to reduce the number of cars or traffic in Sandy Springs but if it allows those cars to flow in a way that reduces traffic jams then it is work looking into.

5. Bill Simon says:

What’s wrong with just trying to widen Lake Forrest Lane, the straightest 2-lane road in the world? (okay, exaggeration there, but it is straight for a lonnnnng time)

6. Dignan says:

“Building new roads can alleviate traffic as long as the route is used properly. Redirecting traffic to the tunnel will reduce congestion on the bridge and could be a major improvement.”

This is simply not true. Building new roads does not alleviate traffic. The only way to alleviate traffic in Atlanta if for people to change their lifestyles. This involves either moving closer to work/school/etc or changing jobs/schools/etc.

I am convinced that traffic is not bad enough in Atlanta, because if it was, people would change what they are doing.

I was willing to make the sacrifice to live in a smaller house close to town and my job rather than live in a bigger house in the suburbs that would have entailed a 30-45-60min commute. As a result, I don’t deal with traffic in Atlanta.

It is only these sort of decisions that will make any impact on traffic in Atlanta.

7. atlantaman says:

“why don’t we close a few roads to help.”

Great idea, let’s narrow Roswell and Piedmont back to 2 lanes – it should help immensely.

8. Harry says:

Let’s hope the Democrats make *not* improving roads into a campaign issue, which will guarantee a GOP landslide.