Schaefer takes on psychiatry

From the Savannah Morning News:

ATLANTA – A senator from northeast Georgia joined a group linked to the Church of Scientology in ripping psychiatry as “An Industry of Death,” saying that children were being given mind-altering drugs because of the influence of pharmaceutical companies.

Sen. Nancy Schaefer, R-Turnerville, joined the Citizens Commission on Human Rights, a group co-founded by the Church of Scientology, at a ribbon-cutting event for an exhibit denouncing psychiatry at the Omni Hotel in Atlanta.

The graphic displays and accompanying documentaries portray psychiatrists as key participants in the Holocaust, eugenics and the deaths of children.

At the ceremony, Schaefer compared psychiatry’s influence on society to an infestation that eats away at a farmer’s crops.

“There’s a narrow window of opportunity to spray for the infestation, and now is the time,” she said. “If we miss this opportunity, we could lose a generation of children.”

In the past legislative session, Schaefer sponsored at least two resolutions critical of psychiatrists and their field.

I might agree that too many kids take too many pill these days, but “an industry of death” seems a bit overly dramatic.

1. Jeff Emanuel says:

I agree with your last, Buzz. We’re a seriously overmedicated society … but I can’t get on board with the couch-hopper himself and call it the “industry of death” many in that camp do.

That being said, 1984 isn’t the only school-age book with resounding present-day implications — Brave New World seems to be becoming more and more realistic, and a continued increase in society’s overmedication can be leading us down a very worrisome path.

2. Bill Simon says:

Speaking of people who need drugs to bring them into the normal world, I hope some pharmaceutical companies start sending her free samples of mind-altering drugs to unscramble that brain of hers.

3. Maurice Atkinson says:

From my personal experience, it is not the psychiatric community that is creating the demand for medication to children it is the educational community. I do understand this suggestion is anecdotal but it did occur in my son’s elementary years.

I don’t particularly care for a legislator to align herself with a special interest organization, whose reputation is certainly suspect at best, to malign physicians who are working effectively with their patients to create a better quality of life..

I’m not sure who her argument is with, the educational or the medical community, or both.

4. Nativeson says:

Jeff’s right — Brave New World is the dystopian scenario from the past that’s coming true today. But I don’t think even Aldous Huxley could have imagined a merging of the minds of Scientologists and fundamentalist Christians. That’s really scary. And what’s even scarier is seeing top Scientologists with a private meeting on the calendar of Richard Armitage on the same day he was outing Valerie Plame:

5. Bull Moose says:

I was very dissapointed to read that article. If Republicans start going after the psychiatric community they really need to be the ones seeing the doctor.

There are many people who are happy and alive thanks to the medication prescribed by Psychiatrists.

Mrs. Shaefer doesn’t know what she’s talking about.

6. Jeff says:

Brave New World…excellent work. So are the all the drug adds for anti-depression drugs, sleeping pills, pills to wake up, pills to lose weight, and the list goes on. Americans are pissed off when a doctor does not give pills to a patient as the solution to an ailment. I think it is because we, as a society in general, are lazy. Nobody should tell their doctor that they need Ambien or Lunesta so that they can sleep. I bet drug prices would go down if we made it illegal to market prescription drugs on television.

7. Mad Dog says:

Jeff,

Brave New World, indeed.

We’re lazy, but living longer.

We’re fat, but dieting all the time.

I agree that television and magazine ads for various ‘quick fix’ pills do pump up sales (and doctor visits). For people who have more money than they have sense.

My parents have those little plastic tray with compartments marked for days of the week. The ones used to make sure you don’t over or under dose. Those trays are not full of Lunesta or Ambien.

Medical markets are not any different from clothing markets, auto markets, and music markets. Those drug ads target a section of the medical market with disposable income (or insurance coverage) likely to switch or request a specific brand.

That is way over simplified, but more or less correct. (I can’t give a marketing lesson in 500 words are less that would even begin to discuss the whole subject of markets)

My oldest son is a cardiologist in Boston. Schooled in DC. Works one month a year for the Veterans Hospital. Worked at Walter Reed. Worked at that little hospital in Gainesville while an undergrad. I’m sure people ask for name brand drugs. I’m sure some doctors give them what they want. I’m also sure that is not ALWAYS the wrong thing to do.

I’m not amazed that a political discussion thread starts out with religion and becomes anti-science.

I’m amazed that it starts out anti-science and becomes anti-market.

Our Whacko from the 50th wants to see an x-ray that proves depression or any other mental illness.

Let her show me an X-ray that proves a broken heart!

(yeah, broken heart is a street term. I used it because we have several thousand people still displaced from Katrina and a couple thousand families who’ve lost someone in the Iraq war. Spend some time with a grieving human being, then tell me that a broken heart isn’t real.)

I’m surprised that more Republicans haven’t called BS on Nancy Schaefer and her switch to the Hollywood church of the week.

8. Demonbeck says:

Everyone is required to serve in the Israeli military Bill. Dr. Ruth was a sniper for the Israeli Army.

9. Mad Dog says:

caroline,

I think she ran for mayor? Or, was it Governor? Maybe it was Surgeon General?

I heard she ran on the Republican ticket and got a HUGE vote percentage.

The HIGH single digits.

10. Bill Simon says:

She ran in 1996….for what, I cannot remember. But, yes, it was a statewide position.

And, Caroline, you don’t have to go back to 1996 for evidence of her whackjobbiness. Last year when Katrina hit, she sent out a letter to her constituency stating that Katrina hit New Orleans because of all of the sin going on there.

11. gatormathis says:

Some of these blogs just go on and on. I guess I just search for too much humor in our daily lives. I really don’t try to make a joke all of the time but there seems to be some really funny sight gags if I could just draw or possibly use photoshop effectively. Serious as always, BS made a earlier comment about maybe we should all have a little stay in the military as in Israel. Demonbeck added that Israelies had military service, and refrenced Dr. Ruth. Somehow a picture of a maybe more youthful, militarily clad, Dr. Ruth popped in my head. As she steadies her rifle, peering thru her scope, she quips in nasaly, “MMMMMM……I wonder if I can hit him in the peeee-nisss”. Surely SNL never thought of this.
    Happy Labor Day folks, have a beer on yurself! Be at work in the morning.(smiley-face til i figure out how they do that.lol)

12. Mad Dog says:

Brian,

Thanks! I didn’t know it was for Governor.

BTW, I saw her in a parade Saturday morning.

Several people were talking about some BS letter or paid ad — I didn’t have my Beltone on — from Nancy.

It seems Nancy was officially calling off her campaigning for the Holiday Weekend.

Yet, she was riding in the parade. Nice red BMW.

Can anyone confirm this letter or announcement?

And, does the Saturday parade conflict with it?

BTW, it was a great parade. People in North Georgia have good reasons to love their hometowns.