Bush to campaign for Burns

AccessNorthGA is reporting that “President Bush is planning a trip to southeast Georgia next month to raise money for Max Burns, the former Republican congressman from the area who is trying to return to Congress after losing his seat in 2004.”

According to the report, Rep. Jack Kingston “said Bush will speak at a Sept. 7 fundraising luncheon for Burns at the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum in Pooler, 13 miles west of Savannah.”

The Burns campaign didn’t confirm that the President was coming at that time, saying “Max Burns does not announce the president’s schedule. We’ve invited the president to come down and campaign with us. We’d be thrilled to have him down here.”

The White House also refused to confirm the date, saying that they don’t announce the President’s schedule “so far in advance.”

With the President’s approval rating still low, and the race so tight, it’s interesting that Burns would bring him here; however, I think that it’s a good move, if for no other reason than the following:

With Barrow now holding the advantage of incumbency, Burns will need every dollar Bush can help him muster. Burns reported having $733,393 in the bank as of June 30, while Barrow had $1,338,950.

What do you think?

1. UGAMatthew says:

Again, endorsements and trips like these aren’t as much about relfecting the President’s persona onto Burns and hoping that increases his chances as much as it is about raking in donor dollars for Burns’ campaign.

As I conjectured about Newt’s endorsement for Collins, the money raised at/by this event will far outweigh any negatives that might come along with a visit from the President; provided Burns ceases that opportunity as such. Which I’m sure he will.

2. Bull Moose says:

Well, Bush is very unpopular and while he’ll likely have a strong turnout and I myself will attend, I would have recommend that Burns not attend the actual event and avoid what is likely to be a bad photo op – that of Burns and Bush together that can be used later in the race against Burns by John Barrow.

I don’t think that having the President down here is the best idea. I would have suggested anyone but Bush or Cheney at this point…

How about John McCain? Jack Kemp? Newt Gingrich? Or even Bob Dole?

It is all about money though and how much can be raised and on that point, I guess the visit helps more than it hurts…

3. UGAMatthew says:

I think you’re right on Bull. Granted it is Georgia and Bush fares far better off here than in many other places, but lately, I think mediocre would best describe his reception by Georgians as a whole; however, the right people are still going pay BIG dollars to see him and have a chance to meet and take a photo with him. And that, well that’s the whole point.

So, I’d say in retrospect, its not such a bad idea; maybe not the best, but definitely not a bad idea. If it was political capital Burns needs currently, maybe so. But right now, ne needs monetary capital and this is a fantastic way to do that. He can discredit photo-ops later in the campaign…and who knows, Bush’s numbers may rise, if he can get it right on a few key issues; spending and immigration, to name a couple.

4. Maurice Atkinson says:

Definitely an outstanding opportunity. Regardless of any philosophical differences one may have, the Presidency is a valuable commodity. President Bush is widely respected and I would imagine that Mr. Burns would appreciate and readily accept his assistance.

5. Stephanie says:

While other GOP candidates are running from Bush’s company, Burns seeks Bush’s help to rally the voters. This strategy is dangerous: by associating with Bush, Burns is following in Kingston’s footsteps as a Bush supporter.

The Republican led administration has churned out policy that is conterfeit to Americans due to
    the falsified data it was built upon: Office of Special Plans. Corporations have been permitetd to plan the trajectory of our economy based on their perceived needs rather than considering the needs the needs of the people. Ethics have fallen by the wayside and claiming those who have freely succumbed to corruption: DeLay, Abramoff, Duke Cunningham, Ney, and Georgia’s Ralph Reed.

Let me share a little phrase with all of you:

TRUTH doesn’t begin with “W”

6. rightofcenter says:

BM,
    I hate to disagree with you on this, but I don’t think you have to worry about Barrow trying to tie Bush around Burns neck. As a Burns supporter, I can only hope that he does, however. Judging from Barrow’s sudden conversion to “conservative Democrat” after the change in his district, Barrow would probably try to get himself in a photo with Bush if he could.

Stephanie,
    How does that Kool-Aid taste?

7. Demonbeck says:

Bush is popular in the rural areas of the 12th. Barrow’s DC logic doesn’t fly in this case. Savannah and Augusta are not going to win Burns this race, the rural areas will. This is wonderful news for Burns in those areas.

He would have been wiser to hold the event in Screven, Bulloch or Effingham though.

8. UGAMatthew says:

Stephanie,
    Have you ingored the rest of the previous commentary? Bushes main contribution to Burns won’t be the political capitol he may or may not help Burns garner; it’ll be the donor dollars. Max needs to bolster his war-chest; this IS how to do it. End of story.