Maybe It Was Innocent

But this sounds fishy.

The photo that will grace the state’s official road map put out by the state Department of Transportation features four adorable baby boys who happen to be the grandchildren of the state House Transportation Committee chairman.

The fact that state Rep. Vance Smith (R-Pine Mountain) has sway over a portion of the department’s budget — and tried to wrest away even more earlier this year — played no role in the choice of the photo at Callaway Gardens, said a member of the board that picked the image from a dozen choices.

“I thought it was a great picture,

1. RiverRat says:

I was going to make a joke about GDOT having real work to be doing instead of this crap, but then I realized I’d rather have them doing this sort of stuff than screwing up everything else they try to do.

2. LymanHall says:

Maybe it can be a picture of Sonny’s $4 million swap land…oh yeah, that’s in Florida so that it could be somehow more ethical.

3. Jason Rizner says:

Does anyone honestly care about who’s on the front of the DOT map? I thought this was the most absurd story I had read in some time (with the possible exception of the Macon Telegraph’s front-page feature about a homeless drunk that lived under a bridge). If that’s all the AJC has to write about, then this state is in GREAT shape.

The 2005-2006 map features some kid on a rope swing . . . don’t know who he is, don’t really care. However, it does say the photo was submitted by Garland Pinholster, a former state legislator. Ah Ha! I think I’ve just stumbled onto Thursday’s headline . . .

4. Jason Rizner says:

Perhaps this is the ticket to a successful modeling career for the Chairman’s grandchildren. This may be just the break they always hoped for.

Perhaps there are children lying at home in bed crying because they were not chosen for the photo. They may need years of therapy to get over the heartbreak of not being chosen for the Georgia DOT roadmap cover.

But not likely . . . I just don’t see what the big deal is.

5. atlantaman says:

Last week it was Sonny’s real estate, this week it’s Vance Smith’s grandkids, who knows what the Democrats are going to try to drum up next week.

6. Mad Dog says:

Laughing about the Democrats drumming stuff up.

I thought he said dig up. That would be too much work.

I think the Democrats will get back into power when they start making stuff up like the Republicans do.

This drumming and digging takes too much talent and time. Making stuff up works better than the truth.

7. Clint Austin says:

The kid swinging on the rope in the 2005 map is the son of Pinholster who died tragically in Florida recently.

The photo was actually submitted by fellow board member Mike Evans as a tribute to his son’s passing but since the photo actually belonged to Pinholster the disclaimer reads as if Garland submitted it.

Wanted to make that clear so no one got a wrong impression about the Pinholster photo – and perhaps to put a better context on this photo issue in general.