Charges filed in Cherokee

Bill Simon at the Political Vine has a post about charges filed against former GOP State House Candidate Mary Wilhite. Wilhite lost in a runoff to Sean Jerguson by a mere 35 votes. The AP had an article about the charges:

Lee Martin, a Jerguson supporter, told sheriff’s deputies that as he campaigned the day before the runoff, Wilhite followed him around, calling him a “liar,” “racist” and “fat pig.”

Martin, who is white, told officers Wilhite also was ripping campaign fliers out of his hands before he could hand them to people in cars stopped at a traffic light.

Martin applied Friday for an arrest warrant charging Wilhite with assault, interference with a state political campaign and violating his free speech.

Wilhite calls the charges pure politics.

“They are meritless, senseless and baseless,” she said. “I am confident that they will be dismissed.”

I don’t know Ms. Wilhite, but I do know Lee Martin and I’ve always found him to be truthful, and reasonable.

This incident is certainly not good news for Republicans. We need more African-Americans in the GOP and for Wilhite to come close to winning would be encouraging – except for this incident with Martin.

1. Bill Simon says:

While I am also on the “Yeah, it would be nice if there was more Republican African-American elected folks in this world”, the simple matter is no one should be granted an elected position just because they’re black and it would “look good for the party.”

‘Cause, as I recall, one of the things we, as Republicans, are not in favor of is affirmative action in elections based on democratic processes.

2. JRM2016 says:

If someone assaulted me, I wouldn’t wait ten days to file charges. Sounds like BS to me. Agree with Bill but also think that it will be harder to recruit candidates if people cook up charges against them when they offer themselves for office.

3. This is really off the record, which kinda makes me wonder why I’m putting it on the record, but I was secretly cheering for Mary Wilhite to win because I don’t think that any one party should have a monopoly on race or religion either; and we need more black Republicans (yeah, I’m a Democrat saying that), because competition amongst the Democrats and Republicans for black voters would be nice (and because Democrats tend to take black voters for granted & it would be nice for the Democratic Party to actually work for our votes instead of just assuming that it’ll always be there).

Just my two cents though, and no I’m not thinking of switching parties.

4. BB says:

JRM – it didn’t take 10 days to file charges…that was how long it took to get a hearing after filing the charges as soon as the police report was made available. 10 days is actually a pretty good turnaround to get a hearing in Magistrate Court.

One can only hope the Republican Party attracts black candidates who actually believe in the basic principles guiding the party. Dylan Glenn and Herman Cain come to mind here in GA. Wilhite is far from having the credentials of either of those fine gentlemen and deserves to face charges for her antics prior to the runoff.

5. atlantaman says:

You know what would be interesting. Find an open Rep. seat in a black area of town, one that is majority black. Then have two respectable people (a white Democrat and a black Democrat) challenge each other in the Democrat primary. Then see if the white candidate can come as close percentage wise as Mary Wilhite did. If there is any doubt in your mind give John Noel a call – he even had the advantage of incumbancy.

6. Hey, Atlantaman how about Nan Orrock. She won a Senate seat whose primary was over 53% black. Haven’t checked Margaret Kaiser (who beat Doug Dean) but in the past that primary has been upwards of 70% black in the Democratic primary. Or Michelle Henson and Karla Drenner who continuously hold on to their seats despite serving in districts that are very heavily minority.

Or, Stephanie Stuckey, who won a 50/50 primary against 3 candidates in 2004.

When a white candidate like Nan, Margaret or Stephanie runs, the entire Democratic establishment doesn’t feel the need to line up behind them. In fact, generally the establishment doesn’t really care who wins or loses.

Compare that to how the establishment lined up behind Melvin Everson in HD 106 – and he only won by about 20 votes! I mean, imagine if sheriffs, Congressmen, county commissioners, fellow state legislators etc etc had bothered to endorse Nan Orrock. She probably would have won with an even bigger margin.

So maybe do some research before you start spouting about how unique the GOP is when it comes to voters of one race being willing to vote for candidates of another race.

7. GabrielSterling says:

Chris and Atlantaman:

Instead of arguing about racial voting within one party primary or the other, we should probably focus on the fact that Georgia has arguably the least racial voting of any state. We have a huge number of African Americans elected overall, including blacks in white district and whites in black districts.

There are three statewide elected officials that are black in a state where blacks make up less than 30% of the population.

Also, Wilhite didn’t lose because she’s African American, she lost because she didn’t share the values of Cherokee GOP Primary voters. She did work for Bill Campbell and Shirley Franklin. That alone puts her out of the GOP primary in Cherokee county.

And Chris, Melvin won by 26 votes…a win is a win is a win.

8. JRM2016 says:

Sorry, I assumed from the AP story that he had filed his warrant application on Friday August 18. 10 days is indeed a good turnaround time to get to a hearing. So have they already had the probable cause hearing before the Magistrate or is that coming up shortly?

9. atlantaman says:

“Hey, Atlantaman how about Nan Orrock. She won a Senate seat whose primary was over 53% black. Haven’t checked Margaret Kaiser (who beat Doug Dean) but in the past that primary has been upwards of 70% black in the Democratic primary. Or Michelle Henson and Karla Drenner who continuously hold on to their seats despite serving in districts that are very heavily minority.

Or, Stephanie Stuckey, who won a 50/50 primary against 3 candidates in 2004.”

Those percentages don’t even hold a candle to the percentages of whites in Jerguson’s District and I suspect Everson’s district as well. Especially Stuckey’s or Orrick’s 50/50 isn’t even close to being an apples to apples comparison.

Doug Dean, like Billy and Cynthia McKinney, was an idiot and at times a true idiot will be thrown out of office. The real trick will be if Margaret Kaiser can hold onto her seat in a 70% black district in 2 years. If you want any further clarification on this matter sit down and have a conversation with John Noel (the white guy who beat Billy McKinney in a Dem Primary in a black district)

10. BB says:

JRM,

First hearing was held on Friday. Don’t know all the details, but there is another hearing scheduled possibly as early as this week on the disorderly conduct charge(s).

Gabriel is exactly right, Wilhite did not lose because she is black. She lost because she has not been able to convince voters that she converted from supporting the most liberal of dems to a conservative Republican in such a short time. More than likely she gained votes because of her skin color as she made it an issue in both of her runs for this seat with some voters wanting to show how open they are to diversity in Cherokee County. As Bill noted, kind of an affirmative action election strategy that fell just short of success.

11. rightofcenter says:

This hasn’t gotten any media attention, possibly because he’s doing it on a shoestring budget, but there is a Republican (who happens to be black) challenging a Democrat (who happens to be white) in a rural district that has a large minority population. The incumbent is Jimmy Lord, someone who was only marginally effective when his poker buddy Tom Murphy was in power. He is a total zero in the new world. The Republican challenger is young and articulate – Napoleon Jenkins. Conventional wisdom would say he has little chance, but he’s working very hard at it. And he’s on a first name basis with the governor.

12. atlantaman says:

Black Republicans don’t seem to do well in black districts. All of the black Republicans I’ve known that have either won or have done well have run in white districts.

Obviously I hope the tide is turning and perhaps Napolean Jenkins will do well. I’d like to hear more about him.

13. John Konop says:

I agree with Bill & Buzz ,no one should be elected based on a vote to get black Republican office holders elected.

This issue to me is not about who should of won , but what is best for the community and Republican party.

First the flyer was a hit job on Mary Wilhite not being a real Republican because of her past work with Democrats. The only problem is Sonny Purdue was featured on the flyer. And much of what was on the flyer you could of said about Sonny instead of Mary.

Second , you had party officials working against Mary in a primary election. My question are any of them voting for Sonny who made a big deal about her being a former Democrat.

Third party officials showing bias behavior in her debates. Do you think Dick Hall (Party official) on the panel picking the questions while making faces to the audience while Mary is speaking is being non-bias.

You can read Bart Brannon( VC of The CC Republican party) post on this site to get the tone of his actions. From Bart “kind of an affirmative action election strategy that fell just short of success” Look at her Website and tell me if anyone would say this and a party official?

I am not sure if Bart is racist or just hateful. Yet to think that the behavior of party officials like him will not come into question if this goes forward is crazy.

I could go on and on.

The Martin’s seem like nice people.If this was an isolated situation ,I might have a different opinion. I just do not see anything positive about going after Mary for the State Party or Cherokee County.

Sean and his supporters would be served reaching out to Mary’s supporters then a nasty trial, because you know. everyone will look bad. Sean could become a good member of the house.Ans is this what Sean want’s to have his supporters focused on? And will this not just keep Mary’s name in the media?I do not see the win her, except fo Mary.

It just seems hypocritical for officers of the Republican party to go after Mary and do nothing about Dick and Bart.And the whole community will pay the price.

14. GOPeach says:

John Konop and Everyone-

I was in Cherokee County yesterday and noticed
    Sean Jernagan signs out – so I knew that
    he came out ahead of Mary Wilhite.

That was sad. I actually was pulling for her also-
    I would have liked to have seen her go toe to toe with
    Alicia Morgan in the State House. It excited me to
    imagine Mary putting Miss. Alicia in her place.

I like the fact that Mary Wilhite was endorsed by
    the GA RIGHT TO LIFE … You call that liberal????

This issue is NOT ABOUT RACE- It is about GENDER!

Men in politics will always bully women no matter what.
    This is one reason we are all so proud of Karen Handel,.
    She stood her ground as should Mary Wilhite.

I am always supportive of WOMEN who will run as a
    CONSERVATIVE – That takes real ovaries! 🙂

I know for a fact that only 2 women candidates for
    State House are PRO-LIFE – Charlice Byrd and
    Cindye Coates.

This is why I am asking anyone who is really
    PRO-LIFE – to support WOMEN candidates who
    are willing to stand firm on THIS ISSUE!

If they are willing to take the heat from fellow
    women on this issue – They will take the heat
    on ALL ISSUES!

15. BB says:

Konop,

Most of the time it is difficult to read your grammatically challenged posts. But the usual tone is easy to detect, blame others by distorting the truth for your own failure and that of your friend Mary Wilhite. Face facts John, you lost because you ran a guerilla campaign based on personal attacks with very little issue oriented arguments. Wilhite lost for the second time seeking the same house seat because most voters realized she is not qualified to serve that district. Blame me, Dick and CCRP all you want, but the facts will not change.

I’m neither racist or hateful, just a volunteer with the local party who has the right to support whichever candidate I choose. I also have an obligation to perform duties assigned as set forth by the party bylaws which I have done and will continue to do. In the case of Mary Wilhite, she thanked me numerous times for my work as VC Communications and also for distributing her announcements to party members throughout the campaign. As I stated previously, if she now has a complaint about my performance representing the Cherokee County Republican Party, by all means present her case to the Executive Committee.

16. John Konop says:

BB,

I did file a complaint. And the borad also got complaint letters from people who saw you and Dick Hall’s behavior at the debates.So you made my point. The Party officials do nothing about you guys and then go after Mary.

You would not know an issue if it hit you in your face. Your arrest record for dirty politics shows your true colors.The police even call you bad news in public.

I could argue she is more conservative than you.

Mary is for illegal immigration reform. And you want to make sure it does not hurt business, before doing anything.

Mary is for racial profiling of gangs,illegals immigrants…. You sent out an e-mail against racial profiling attacking Mary.

And to show how non-bias I am about this issue. I did not vote for Mary or Sean.I voted for David Farrow.

The sad part is the Martin’s seem like good people. But at the end the smell of you and Dick will be hard for them and the party to stay away from.

Your big issue against Mary is she was a former Democrat. So are you voting for Sonny?

17. BB says:

My big issue with Mary is she does not comprehend issues (which I agree many times is synonymous with being a dem).

If you don’t like how the party is operating in Cherokee County, then run for chairman in March…it won’t cost you nearly as much as you wasted to get 17% for the 6th district race. Get all your wacked out isolationist doom and gloom cohorts to join you in a mini coup d’etat. Buy the URL http://www.controlcherokeegop.com, win the election then you can outlaw facial expressions by Executive Committee members during candidate forums. No questions about past party affiliation will be allowed, racist profiling encouraged. That’ll create a great reputation for the local party!

18. John Konop says:

BB,

So you are calling a Black Republican woman a racist because she supports profiling gangs , illegals…….. Have you lost your mind?

As I said the party did not deal with the behavior of you and Dick Hall at the debates. That fact and your nasty deeds will hurt the party via the press if the trial goes forward with Mary bottom line.

As I said Mary will be the only winner.

19. BB says:

She racial profiled a legal citizen earning money to support his family (and was issued a cease and desist order). She lied about the incident involving the Martins. She attempted to use her skin color to generate sympathy in the election as you now do to justify her racist antics.

What should the party do Konop…fire Dick from his volunteer position? If you think what he did was so wrong, call for a committee meeting as is the right of any member and make a motion to do whatever it is you think needs to be done. Otherwise stop with the whinning.

20. whitemalevoters says:

BB,

We have changed out mind. We used to think that Konop would look out for us. Now we think that you will look out for ONLY us. We are proud that you will devote your full attention to white male voters! The fact that you only support white male voters is our number one issue. WE LOVE YOU, BART BRANNON!

Konop,

You should try defending white male voters sometime soon. The only people that are currently looking out for white male voters are BB, Robert Byrd, and Ray “States Rights” McBerry. Think about it. You could add your name to that distinguished list.

21. John Konop says:

BB,

As a party offical your comments are out of line.

How can you say this without people wondering if you are not a racist ? Is this how you want people to hear coming from party officials at CC Republican Party ?

“She attempted to use her skin color to generate sympathy in the election as you now do to justify her racist antics”

To call Mary a racist because she assumed a Mexican doing construction is an illegal immigrant is crazy. Poor judgement on her part but not a racist.

And do you not see this will make nice people like the Martin’s look bad.As I said if you and Dick Hall were not part of the deal it might have a different opinion.At the end the day, the story will turn toward your nasty behavior toward Mary, while being a party official.

As a party official you repersent the CC Republican party. So the press will report it that way like they have done in the past with you. I still hope and pray you see the light.

22. John Konop says:

BB,

Regarding your comment, “She attempted to use her skin color to generate sympathy in the election”

How does a person use “skin color” ,or not use it, to get elected ? Who better than You to give great advise on how to be white. You could have your own business WHITE COACH.

23. BB says:

As I said on the other blog Konop, you can’t handle the truth. She played the race card often throughout both of her campaigns. She could have gained respect by acting more like Herman Cain instead of Cynthia McKinney.

Mr. Cain who I admire tremendously (wmv can kick me off the list again) would make a great elected official and ran on issues for senator. I supported his campaign, voted for him and would gladly do so again if ever he decides to seek public office after beating cancer. Wilhite could learn much from Herman Cain.

Meanwhile Wilhite drives around taking pictures of hispanic males (legal citizens) at Sean Jerguson construction sites to be used in campaign materials implying Sean hires illegal immigrants. This is not an error in judgement, it is an intentional act of racial profiling that could have easily been averted by simply asking the man about his citizenship status. She didn’t thus was forced through a cease and desist order to remove the defammatory pictures from her website.

24. whitemalevoters says:

Konop & Bart,

I think you guys are in the business of confusing the piss out of white male voters.
    We have a question to ask both of you. And we want each of you to answer the question for yourselves. Don’t try to put words into eachothers mouths. The question is:

White male voters, small minority of people in America, or the SMALLEST minority of people in America?

25. whitemalevoters says:

BTW BB,

What proof do you have that Herman Cain is not a white male voter? Have you ever read his columns? Doesn’t sound like anything a non white male voter would right…

26. John Konop says:

BB,

How does you saying as the VC of the CC Republican party that “She (Mary) played the race card often throughout both of her campaigns” not make the party look bad?

How does it make the party look when you compare a black female Republican (Mary Wilhite) who lost by 25 votes to Cynthia McKinney ?

How does it make the party look that you keep calling a black Republican woman a racist?

As I said I like Sean and Mary.This will only make the Martin’s and the party look bad.All because the party did not do anything about Bart Brannon and Dick Halls nasty behavior. Your postings demonstrate the level you guys will go to hurt someone.

27. BB says:

Sorry Bill, I tried not to go there intentionally leaving his name out of my two original posts, but cannot let him get away with the usual ad nauseam attacks. BTW, thanks for posting my response on PV.

28. JRM2016 says:

As scintillating as the dialogue going on in this thread is, does anyone know a case number for the charges that have been filed against Wilhite if I wanted to call the Court to find out more information about the actual allegations? Filing a criminal action is serious business, whether you like a candidate or not and I am interested in finding out how this case is prosecuted.

29. BB says:

Konop,

One more try. First note I have not signed any post with VC Communications CCRP…thus you cannot tie the two together.

Are you saying a “black Republican woman” cannot be a racist just because she is black, or a Republican, or a woman? Not sure I get your point on that one.

Comparing Wilhite to McKinney is easy…both have exhibited out of control behavior against those who oppose them during elections with charges filed against each. They have both lost twice in their districts over the past few years. Both supported former Mayor Bill Campbell. Both supported and voted for Al Gore. Maybe if Wilhite runs for office a few more times, the DOT will name the 575/Towne Lake Parkway intersection where she accosted Lee Martin after her i.e. McKinney and Memorial Drive. One never knows in the crazy world of politics.

30. John Konop says:

BB,

Is that what you are saying ?

You proudly call Mary Wilhite a racist as Bart Brannon, not as your roll as VC of the CC Republican Party ?

She is a racist because she did not ask a Mexican guy at a construction site for his papers?

And since much of what you said about her past being a Democrat , you could say about Sonny, that makes all of them just like Cynthia Mckinney ?

And you think this will play well in the media for the Republican party durring and after the trial ?

You have a point.”One never knows in the crazy world of politics”

31. BB says:

How do you know he was a Mexican? From what I understand, the guy and his family have lived in Georgia about three times longer than you Konop. Definitely of hispanic descent, an honest, reliable hard worker dedicated to his craft. And you support impugning his character because his skin is brown? You are as guilty as your neighbor Wilhite.

Sonny didn’t vote for Al Gore and didn’t support Bill Campbell…no comparison.

What media? I could care less what the liberal media says about Republicans. Most Republicans quit worrying about liberal media years ago.

32. John Konop says:

Go for it !!

You guys could sell T-shirts and Buttons at the trial.

I got some ideas for your business.

Bart Brannon
    President

WHITE COACH

Bart , will show how not to use your skin color to your advantage.

You could sell, cloths,cream,mask…….

Oh I forgot this has nothing to do with Bart Brannon and his roll as VC at the CC Republican party.This is Bart’s personal mission in life.

33. GOPeach says:

BB wrote:

“Sonny didn’t vote for Al Gore and didn’t support Bill Campbell…no comparison.”

Are you saying that Mary Wilhite voted for Al Gore and Bill Campbell????

That is a DEMOCRAT voting record. No doubt..

Anyone who voted for Al Gore is not far removed from a (D) beside their
    name…

I always tell people who want to go into politics …. NEVER NEVER vote
    outside your party if you want to get your party behind you.

Some things are going to bite ya in the behind in a primary.

I heard a friend tell me to get Mary to move to Mableton and take on
    Alicia Morgan in a Democrat primary. She should run as a CONSERVATIVE
    Democrat – That should swing that ditsrict…

Oh well enough about the Democrats … I an a GOPeach!!!

My slogan is the GOP is BLACK & WHITE a RED all over!

34. John Konop says:

GoPeach,
    As far as Sonny , he did support Clinton as well as other Democrats before becoming a Republican. So what is the difference between Sonny and Mary?

And for a flyer to go out with Sonny face on it attacking Mary over this issue is hypocritical.

And for party officials like Bart Brannon to lead the charge, is out of line.

And now to have party officials cheering on a criminal charge against Mary thinking this will hurt her in any future run is wrong.

I do think this strategy will backfire, but it is wrong.

And if you saw the actions of party officials treatment of Mary by Bart Brannon and Dick Hall it was embarassing. So while the party officials harass Mary and do nothing, they are all over the Martin case? If you read Bart’s postings she is already guilty before trial.

As I said I voted for David Farrow the third candidate.I am looking at this as a parent.

35. BB says:

“And for party officials like Bart Brannon to lead the charge, is out of line”. BS Konop. I not only am not leading the charge, I am not even in the brigade you lying POS. If you have a complaint about charges being filed against Wilhite, contact the Martins. I support their right to seek remedy via our judicial system if they were wronged which according to everything I have heard will be proven true in the court. If you disagree with the right of an individual to seek remedy in a court of law Konop, run for Magistrate Judge in two years.

You didn’t see anything at the forum Konop because you weren’t even there. You left as soon as your consultant arrived. Do you enjoy trying to deceive people?

You keep trying to prove something by claiming to have voted for Farrow in the primary…so what…who did you vote for in the runoff Konop?

JRM – The next hearing is scheduled for Friday at 2pm according to court docket….Cherokee County Justice Center, Magistrate Court, Judge Ben Abney presiding.

36. John Konop says:

BB,

You say,” I not only am not leading the charge”

And you said this,

“Comparing Wilhite to McKinney is easy…both have exhibited out of control behavior against those who oppose them during elections with charges filed against each. They have both lost twice in their districts over the past few years. Both supported former Mayor Bill Campbell. Both supported and voted for Al Gore. Maybe if Wilhite runs for office a few more times, the DOT will name the 575/Towne Lake Parkway intersection where she accosted Lee Martin after her i.e. McKinney and Memorial Drive”

And than you made this racist comment,

“More than likely she gained votes because of her skin color as she made it an issue in both of her runs for this seat with some voters wanting to show how open they are to diversity in Cherokee County”

And then you called Mary a racist,

“This is not an error in judgement, it is an intentional act of racial profiling that could have easily been averted by simply asking the man about his citizenship status”.

And when I called you on the carpet about calling Mary a racist you said,

“Are you saying a “black Republican woman

37. John Konop says:

You said,

“You didn’t see anything at the forum Konop because you weren’t even there. You left as soon as your consultant arrived. Do you enjoy trying to deceive people”

Bart you already admitted what you guys were doing durring Mary’s debate. you said “then you can outlaw facial expressions by Executive Committee members during candidate forums” I also talk to some people who stayed, and they said it was embarassing to watch.

38. John Konop says:

BB,

As far as what you heard,about the solid case against Mary and assauult charges.

” Chief Magistrate Judge Ben Abney said there was not enough evidence for an assault charge, but at press time he was still deliberating whether Wilhite should be arrested for disorderly conduct, using fighting words and littering”.

The rest of the case looks like he said she said case. I wonder what she will say about you and Dick Hall if it comes up ?

39. BB says:

I could care less what she says about me and Dick…is she going to file charges because he purportedly showed expression via his face when she referred to public transportation as ‘massive transportation’. Good.

As I said repeatedly Konop, you have a couple of choices considering how hateful Dick was toward Mary — call for a special meeting of CCRP as prescribed in the bylaws to request his ouster (and mine if you want) and/or run for a position on the board in March. You get enough support from members, we’re out of there. You don’t, then you look like a fool yet again which obviously does not bother you as it seems you awake each day with this as your goal. Go for it dude!

40. John Konop says:

BB,

I sent a letter as you know. The board of the Cherokee County Republican party has already spoken by doing nothing about your behavior and Dick. This is why, if the story breaks via the trial the party this will look bad ,end of story. And if the story breaks how Sonny was used by party officials to attack a black Republican woman for being a former democrat, the state wide candidates can thank you.

41. BB says:

Magistrate Judge Ben Abney ruled there was sufficient evidence supporting misdemeanor charge against Mary Wilhite this afternoon in Cherokee County. She was released under her own recognizance scheduled for arrest and processing next Thursday at 10am.

42. trud says:

I think this whole thing against Mary is unreal- I am a rep and I think it is a scam against Mary supported by certain people in rep party-
    I am going to support democratic person running against Sean.

Cherokee County made a huge mistake not putting Mary in office- I hate the politics in this county
    Trud

43. trud says:

I am very sadden and upset with Cherokee Politics-

I feel that mary is an asset- i think this is a political action against her People are probably scared of her – she is smart-

Did anyone know Sean was a builder?????

44. Bill Simon says:

Trud,

You said this: “I learned a long time ago it is not the best person who win an election- but money that buys election”

Soooo…is that how YOU got elected Representative? By money only? 🙂

45. BB says:

Good point Bill. Also of interest…Trud writes as if he is from Cherokee County where current Reps are Charlice Byrd, Calvin Hill, Chuck Scheid, Jack Murphy none of whom would likely compose an illiterate post such as that submitted by Trud in support of Wilhite. Money may buy elections, but seems to fall short when it comes to literacy.

46. landon says:

Trud,

Isn’t it important at all to know who the democrat is? This is a local race, and it seems to me that if you, hopefully an informed citizen since you claim to be a state rep, would know enough to not blindly throw your support behind somebody because they are a democrat. I hope you read legislation rather just deciding whether or not to support it based upon the party of the bill’s sponsors. Also, why do you hate builders? Are you a tent-dweller?