Let’s Get Socialist . . . Socialist

From the tip line:

First District Congressional Democratic Party Nominee Rev. Jim Nelson will speak at a union rally on Thursday, August 17, 1:30 p.m. at Johnson Square in Downtown Savannah. Nelson will join several community leaders in demanding that Hugo Boss USA give workers at its Midway, Ga. distribution center a fair contract.

Others scheduled to speak include State Rep. Al Williams (D-Midway), Union Leaders, Hugo Boss employees, local clergy and other concerned citizens.

Can’t we just go ahead and start referring to the Rt. Rev. Mr. Nelson as “loser in the 1st Congressional District

1. Demonbeck says:

Nelson is going to win the votes of a majority of the Lamont Democrats and probably all of the leftover G-8 protesters in the first.

2. housecreek says:

I know Rep. Kingston is highly regarded by bloggers, but his vote on the Voting Rights Act a few weeks ago was wrong. Only the Southern States fall under this Act, and we remain the under the influence of the Federal Government because of people like Jack Kingston. I hope he pulls a real Republican challenger in a couple of years and is held responsible for failure to support his party.

3. gapork says:

Kingston may have a tougher time of it than you think. Yeah, he has connections and money, but he is very “representative” of the radical, right-wing, Republican extremist!

I saw a blog on HIS website that makes me question his motives as a “civil servant”. There seems to be quite a bit of controversy surrounding him:

1) His relationship with Abramoff
    2) The Marians Islands – clothing sweatshops, sex trade, human trafficking
    (DailyKos had a huge article on this and GOP corruption)
    3) His association with Christian Coalition’s Reed

There talk everywhere in DC about the heightened level of corruption –

Regarding the Voting Rights Act: a friend of mine down there says that Kingston tried to dillute the act by amending it – but he was met with a wave of resistance and when it was obvious it was going to pass: with or without him; he voted for it to schmooze the African-American votes.

I hope the Republican Party will become more moderate like it use to be. there has been so much polarization. American voters should excommunicate “Left Wing Liberals” and Radical Right Wing Neo-Cons” this Nov. Vote for moderates so we can get back to work and get America back on track.

4. gapork says:

Kingston has got some troubles: I’m a government worker in DC. Here’s the “buzz” –

He is Vice Chair and may want to move up to Chair OR Speaker of the House.

Newt Gingrich was Speaker – sparring with DeLay for power. He was ousted eventually. But did that stop him? No. He is the chief AEI neo-con that will be
    grilled about his connection to the Office of Special Plans. We all know what’s going on with Abramoff, Reed, and Tommy-boy.

Kingston “hangs” with this crowd and talks out of both sides of his mouth. He
    won’t make it . . . he’s too close to the fire: he will be burned.

5. Jeff Emanuel says:

“I hope the Republican Party will become more moderate like it use to be”

Pardon? When was the party more moderate, Pork? When it was against free spending and entitlements, or any of the other things they keep voting for which used to be solely the domain of liberal Democrats? There are a whole, whole lot of Republicans (myself included) who recognize that the GOP has been becoming more moderate ever since becoming the majority party in Washington, and want it to come back to its conservative roots.

He is Vice Chair and may want to move up to Chair OR Speaker of the House. Characteristically, this guy aligns himself with the extreme, right-wing of the party and rubber stamps Bush directives.

Again….kidding, right? First of all, are you sure you don’t have your positions/committees/leadership spots confused? Kingston is Vice Chair of the Republican Conference — not exactly the prime spot to be sliding gracefully into the position of Speaker of the House. He is at least below the Conference chair, Majority Leader, and current Speaker in that pecking order.

Second of all, “extreme, right wing” and “Bush” are not even in the same lexicon, my friend. The President is anything but a staunch conservative — let alone a “right-wing extremist.”

While I agree with your call against “Left Wing Liberals,

6. Decaturguy says:

Um .. Jeff, just to remind you, Abe Lincoln freed the slaves. I’d actually call that pretty radical back then, wouldn’t you, much less moderate.

Really, up until Goldwater ran for President in 1964 and then the Reagan revolution in the ’80s, the Republican Party had a strong moderate wing. Richard Nixon created the EPA. It was not until former Democrats in the South joined the Party that the GOP began to become staunchly conservative.

7. Stephanie says:

Wow! Jeff – all I think “Pork” was saying is that both parties have extreme versions of itself. If those extremes were absent, then maybe something
    good would come out of Washington!

And, by the way, thank-you “Decaturguy” for your comment: very well put!

Jeff: please give me a quick syopsis on “Vision America”. I met one of the ministers that participates in that endeavor . . .

I get really upset when I have to confront these self-proclaimed, super-righteous types who have sone nothing more but MARKET false values. A person of strong moral values is evident by his actions.

I’ll leave it there.

8. whitemalevoters says:

Stephanie,

White male voters have tried time and time again to visit your website. We have tried Mozilla, Internet Explorer, AOL, you name it. But for some reason, your link doesn’t work. Explain that to us please.

Maybe we’re not typing it in correctly when we try…

Is it http://http:/ ?

9. Jeff Emanuel says:

Stephanie — we have some common ground! 🙂

I too have little time or patience for “self-proclaimed, super-righteous types who have sone nothing more but MARKET false values.” I’ve written at length, here and elsewhere, about the fallacy of “for-profit religiosity,” and of the need to keep it out of government.

Also, I agree 100% with your statement that “a [person’s] … strong moral values [are] evident by his actions.”