Newt On the Campaign Trail

SOURCE:

Newt Gingrich, former U.S. speaker of the House, will be in Middle Georgia next week.

Gingrich, who ascended to power for four years during the Republican Revolution in the mid-1990s and helped pen the “Contract with America,

1. larry smith says:

Let’s see, Robert Lamutt, Dylan Glenn, Ralph Reed … call me crazy, but I don’t think a Newt endorsement is something to go after.

2. Yeah let’s not forget this is a guy who almost always massively underperformed the Republican performance in his district, except for the last time he ran in ’98, he did pretty well in his district but the national reaction to his leading the party in Congress was so vicious that he resigned almost immediately thereafter.

Great college professor, probably an interesting drinking buddy, but not the best political leader.

3. henrydave says:

I’m new to this website, so I hope I don’t alienate anyone right off the rip. Been reading this one along with Jason Pye’s for some time. Decided I would get involved with some comments and see what everyone thinks. Hope I’m welcome here.

Anyway, I was reading this blog about Newt and Mac. Everbody’s kind of focusing on Newt. My take is that Newt is just acting as the bagman on this campaign and maybe shouldn’t be the focus as much as “Why is Mac running in a district that he is not from originally?” Lest we forget, Mac stepped down from his seat up here in Henry, Butts, etc (Lynn Westmoreland’s district) in his failed bid for the Senate. Rather than facing Lynn, who now has everyone’s support up here, he’s hightailed it to some district where the Republican Party is trying to find someone with a name to run against Democrat Jim. Don’t they have any homegrown Republicans down there, or is this just an attempt for the GOP to get one of their do boy yes men back in office. Believe me, I am by no means a Democrat, but this whole thing sounds fishyl. I bet ole’ Mac moved down there shortly after he got his butt kicked in that Senate race. Probably indirectly financed by GOP supporters. Hell, he had a trucking company in Jackson, GA that had been there for years, and to my knowledge still is, unless they moved that to.

4. UGAMatthew says:

Larry,
    I’m not so sure that it’s not. I’m not saying Newt is the best endorsement to boast, but he is definitely not a drag on Mac. And remember, these days an endorsement is almost wholly a fundraising tactic. I’m positive the amount of money Newt will help Mac raise will far outweigh any questionables or negatives Newt brings with his endorsement. So, in that repsect, Newt’s not such a bad catch.

5. blazer says:

Exactly UGAMatthew.. in the nineties, when newt was in his prime… Newt’s biggest asset was his fundraising ability… he was quite “creative” in it as well… he never broke the letter of the law but certainly broke the spirit… not complaining because that was all R money 🙂

6. UGAMatthew says:

blazer,
    I think you have the right idea, but I’m not sure we totally on the same page. I’m not suggesting that Newt will reenact some of his fundraising tactics for Mac. And I’m not going to pretend that I know all of what Newt “creatively” accomplished during his prime.

But, I am saying that he brings a lot of name recognition. And people are going to pay to see him and have their photo with him; raising lots of funds for Mac.

Newt’s endorsement will help Mac raise money; not necessarily Newt himself or his own fundraising strategies.

7. The Busdriver says:

Chief among Newt’s high-dollar lobbyist activities that have betrayed conservatives is his work lobbying conservative house republicans to pass the bloated, fiscally ruinous prescription drug bill. “Newt” and “fiscal responsibility” do not belong in the same sentence. Ever.

And Larry’s right–Newt is wearing an 0-3 collar when it comes to endorsements.

8. GOPeach says:

I think it is time voters begin asking-

1. Why do you enodose xyz candidate?

2. How do you know each other?

3. Where do you think this endorsement will take you?

seriouisly – What is in it for YOU? You would not do it

unless you got a cut somewhere?

This year has been the Year of Endorsements!!!!
    Never seen so many … ever!

9. debbie0040 says:

It seems all the potential 2008 Presidential candidates are out hopping the campaign trail helping GOP candidates. Newt is not the only one. McCain and Giuliani are as well.

It is simply a good move for those with their eyes on the Presidential prize in 2008.

10. Stephanie says:

Newt Gingrich delivered the March 5, 2003 Capstone Address in Alexandria, VA.
    The Capstone Dinner is the finale to required 6 week course for higher level military officers (about 100 people were present).

Newt said, “Prepare your troops, the United States will invade Iraq in 2 to 2.5 weeks.”

What’s WRONG with this statement? Then he said this:

“When the public asks why we are going to Iraq, tell them it’s to liberate the Iraqi people. USE THE WORD LIBERATE.”

(I’m waiting for your reply on the 1st question I posed)