It Takes Money to Shrink A Class

But will taxes go up?

It could cost Bibb County schools as much as $500,000 just at the elementary level to hire 10 teachers and add class space to satisfy the state’s new class-size reduction mandate, school officials said Thursday.
Superintendent Sharon Patterson said Bibb has 17 elementary classrooms across the system with more students per room than allotted under the new law, and are now required to move the extra kids into new classrooms.

1. Jason says:

My State Representative spoke against this legislation on March 2nd.

You can watch it here.

Watch from the 1:21:30 mark and until 2:35:30. Rep. Davis speaks at 1:44:00 until 1:53:30.

2. conservativecore says:

My question is what is the millage rate in Bibb County. I know many of the metro counties who send millions of dollars to thes “other” counties have nearly maxed their millage rate out. I have also seen that many counties who complain the most have not raised their millage rate to cover their costs locally.

By the way the state allocated funds to help offset the costs and yes smaller class sizes have shown an improvement in test scores and rate of learning around the country where the bureaucrats have gotten out of the way.

3. Demonbeck says:

The problem is that we are spending too much of this education money in the DoE headquarters in Atlanta and at the various Boards of Education throughout the state. The money rarely gets to the classroom.

4. Mike says:

I attended classes at UGA with hundreds of other students and did just fine. Well, I did fine when I was sober enough to attend anyway.

Class size and utimately money are not the answer. Make these schools compete against one another. Make vouchers an option and just watch the market compete for all the education cash. It would be a beautiful thing to see.

5. Oh come on Mike, I know you went to UGA but even a UGA grad should know that being in a lecture class with hundreds of other students when you’re 19 is different than being in class with 25 other students when you are 5.

6. Mike says:

I know it was different. I was hardly ever drunk in class when I was 5.

I will submit that there is a big difference between a bunch of college kids in an auditorium and a bunch of inner city kids in the same venue. It just gets really tiring listening to people advocate throwing more money at a problem when there are actual solutions that would save money. But no, the teachers union loves their monopoly and would take a certain party to the wood shed if they came out for vouchers.

And another thing, a pox on you for your underhanded remark about my beloved Alma Mata. Where did you go? Agnus Scott?

7. HeartofGa says:

This is one of those issues that is driven by the effectiveness of the sound-bite, not the effectiveness of the policy. Voters love to hear that politicians want to reduce class size, but in reality, the research does not support that this alone will improve student achievement. One of the key problems districts face is being able to find highly qualified teachers. If a class reaches a magic number, say 24, and that next student walks in the door thus requiring that the class be split, and then the “new” classroom is staffed with a sub or other under-qualified teacher, what have you accomplished? That exact situation really is happening this week in Bibb.

Also, laughably, Bibb is considered a “high wealth” district and some of our state $$ goes to less fortunately school districts, like Houston County, for instance. No kidding.

8. GaMongrel says:

No, class room size alone does not solve all the ills of our education system.

But after things that the governor and our schools have no control over (ie. parental involvement, child attitude, etc.), I think reducing the class size is wonderful.

And to some extent, education is a numbers game. With fewer students per teacher, the teacher can devote more time (per student) to the needs of 10 individuals than 30.

I attended my children’s meet-n-greet with their teachers yesterday and was pleased to see it ‘in practice.’

I do want the money spent wisely though. I want more of it in the hands of actual classroom instructors.