2008 Predictions

I was talking with my family tonight about politics. The conversation soon turned to 2008 elections. My response was “what, the current races aren’t exciting enough for you”?

But I went ahead with the 2008 discussion and realized people in Georgia seem to forget there will be a Democratic challenger to Sen. Chambliss, instead focusing on the presidency (Giulliani losing because Americans will never elect another Catholic president, meaning I’ll never be prez, unless I convert. Probably better for all of us if I don’t become president).

For what it is worth, I think it will be Cathy Cox vs Cynthia McKinney to challenge “the Sax”.

CC proved she can raise money and compete state wide. But most important, CC will be one of the few eligible candidates in the GA Democratic Party. Plus, its obvious CC wants to do more politically.

CM will be tired of the “little leagues” of the US Congress (and losing “her” seat), and say that the Senate is her calling. White Republican J-E-W-S crossing over will be blamed for her 80 point loss.

If, and only if, MT can win by saying SP is ineffectual and has not done anything, and Saxby continues to have a less than stellar record, CC takes it in a squeaker.

My thoughts, have at it!

Feel free to discuss ’08 president race and ’10 races too.

1. StevePerkins says:

Oh please. Cythnia McKinney is like Howard Dean or Hillary Clinton, far more exciting for bloggers to write about than for moderate voters to seriously vote for. People will keep talking McKinney for years to come because it’s entertaining, but she has no support whatsoever outside DeKalb and would never run for statewide office. Nothing more to see here, move along.

Cathy Cox as front-runner assumes that both the Big Guy and Jim Martin win the Gov. and Lt. Gov. races, which is not an outcome I would wager on. I also have a hunch that we haven’t heard the last from Greg Hecht… just too much ego there to fade away. Still, while I don’t see Cathy Cox being Taylor in any primary for any office, if the Big Guy’s not in the picture I suppose Cathy would be the favorite over Martin or Hecht.

The ultimate winner would depend entirely on what the Presidental ticket coattails look like. That’s going to be the only race that really matters… and it will hinge on whether the GOP goes with someone like the George Bush we thought we were voting for in 2000, or the one we ended up getting.

2. Know Nothing says:

Considering the dems in the ’06 Senate race were a walking circus, I don’t think ’08 will be much different. However, two weeks is a long time during a campaign, so to predict what happens with races two years off are quite pre-mature.

3. rugby_fan says:

not against CC i don’t see it happening. CC is already a political beast.

Supposing, and remember, this is a hypothetical so don’t go on a rant about how he will win hands down, what if CCagle loses. Does he chalenge “the Sax” in the primary?

And can we refer to SC as “the Sax” from now on?

4. Know Nothing says:

Cagle wins LG by at least 5 points so this is moot:

Even if Cagle loses, he will not challenge Chambliss in the primary. Incumbants are only challenged in the primary by nut jobs or when they have done something incredibly off base with there constituents. A prominant republican will not challenge a republican in a senate primary unless there is significant reason to do so.

5. Know Nothing says:

Saxby won’t see a significant primary challenger unless sometime in the next two years he is caught on tape doing cocaine with Kate Moss running over helpless kittens.

6. Dorabill says:

Steve Perkins
    Is that the second time you’ve used that phrase, “Nothing more to see here move along.”??
    You sound like a crooked cop.

7. Know Nothing says:

So much could happen between now and ’08 that it is almost ridiculous to start making predictions. However, I will go out on a limb here and say that Chambliss retains his seat.

8. StevePerkins says:

Ehh, I’ve been posting here for months, so if it really is just the “second” time I’ve used a phrase then I’m doing pretty good. When I find a catchphrase I particularly like, I struggle against the temptation to use it constantly like a pro wrestler.

9. debbie0040 says:

My pick for 2008 is Rudy at this time. It looks it will be between McCain and Giuliani and I will choose Rudy anyday of the week. I detest McCain.

10. John Galt says:

I know this is a post about Saxby, but Rudy Giuliani has no chance of winning over conservative voters in Iowa, New Hampshire or South Carolina. He is pro-gay marriage and pro-choice. And he likes to dress up in drag. Presidential preference polls taken two years out are little more than barometers of name i.d. Besides, we don’t have national elections in the U.S. We have state elections with an electoral college.

11. StevePerkins says:

Rudy’s Presidential flirtations are like Newt Gingrich’s or Bob Barr’s… just a means to keep a name in the headlines to jack up their book sales, speaker’s fees, consulting rates, etc. I strongly doubt he would REALLY run when crunch time arrives.

Out of curiosity though, I wonder why debbie0040 (who, unless I’m mistaking you for someone else was a huge Reed proponent) would be so gung-ho for Giuliani? By everyone conceivable measure he is more liberal that John McCain, and if you peek below an inch deep into his personal life you’ll find him to be nowhere near as moral.

Is that just an ANTI-McCain resentment thing (because John told us Dubya was full of sh*t before we were ready to hear it), and you’d easily shift your loyalty to some other front-runner in the primary… or is it really a PRO-Rudy thing, on account of all the post-9/11 flag waving and sentimental music video packages? I know I’m phrasing this question in very sarcastic terms, but it’s still a sincere question… I’m surprised to see Reed-folks getting behind Rudy and would like to understand that better.

12. debbie0040 says:

I would much rather have Rudy than John MCain. I genuinely like Rudy.

I like Rudy’s leadership style and he does what he says he is going to do.

Rudy can be counted on to defeat any liberal the Democrats nominate, including Hillary.

Rudy also believes in school vouchers.

Rudy does have conserative support.

Rudy has already told close friends that he will run. Bob Novak even reported this.

My Dad is a right wing, retired independent Baptist preacher and he likes Rudy because he can beat Hillary and he likes his leadership abilities.

13. John Galt says:

President Rudy would be a disaster. There is nothing conservative about the man. If you want 4-8 more years of Bush 43, go ahead and support Rudy. That’s what you will get.

14. debbie0040 says:

Rudy is fiscally conservative and supports our military. He did not accuse our military of torture like McCain did.

15. Mike says:

Rudy or McCain would do great in the general but have no shot(especially Rudy) at winning the nomination. They have about as much chance as Lieberman winning the jackass party nomination.

16. John Galt says:

Tap the brakes Debbie. Just because Rudy stumped for your boy doesn’t make him presidential timbre. Don’t fall again for the cult of personality.

17. Andrew says:

Debbie0040 I am amazed John McCain spent how many years in as a POW I think if any one should know about torture he should. And he isn’t saying they are torturing prisoners, he just wants transparency in the process so that we don’t allow the chance for torture to enter or system. And Debbie lay off the Reed-a-Rama Kool Aid.

18. debbie0040 says:

John McCain should know what REAL torture is and he should know that they were not undergoing torture,

I am no drinking any kool aid. You don’t drink the Cagle kool aid of supporting McCain just because Cagle does.

19. buzzbrockway says:

I’m looking for a Presidential candidate who will fight the war against Islamic facism and also act like a conservative in his/her domestic policy. Rudy will fight the war, as will McCain but I’m not sure they’ll push for conservative domestic policies.

By conservative domestic policies I’m talking about things like lower taxes, smaller government, reforms of programs like the tax system. I just don’t those things coming from Rudy and McCain.

20. Mrs. Adam Kornstein says:

Having lived in NYC in the early 90’s ( 1990’s not 1890’s) Rudy’s chances are slim to none. He was on his way out, and it wasn’t going to be a swan song, that is till 911. I was impressed with him that day and the weeks following, but seriously, a true vetting of this man has not been done for the American people.

Bernie K was the most MINIMAL of his problems. I’m stunned that Debbie allows for a divorced man who let his girlfriend shack up with him in Gracie Mansion while the wife slept elsewhere. All this while Clinton got a blow job. The G-F acted like the first lady of NYC for years, and everyone knew it. It was revolting, and he couldn’t have been more proud.

This is the same man who thought it would be a fantastic idea to locate his “bunker” in the same place that the terrorists attempted to blow up the first time. Everyone fails to mention this about Saint Rudy, but a large part of the failure to communicate that day was due to the fact that the communications room was in the basement of One World Trade, and had to be evacuated.

Grasping at straws, you all need to try harder… this is not a great option for the Republican party.

21. Decaturguy says:

Wow, Debbie, I’m really surprised by this quote from you:

“Rudy may have socially moderate views but he is an originalist as far as the Supreme Court and I believe the same way. In other words , he believes that issues such as gay marriage should be left up to the states to decide not the courts.”

So, can put you on record as opposing a federal marriage amendment, since that would be telling the states what to decide on the issue of gay marriage?

22. debbie0040 says:

Cutting Taxes
    Rudy Giuliani cut more taxes than any Mayor in New York City history, reducing or eliminating 23 city taxes that saved individuals and businesses more than $8 billion and reduced New Yorkers’ overall tax-burden by 22%. By the end of Giuliani’s term in office, New Yorkers enjoyed their lowest tax burden in three decades, along with 427,600 new private sector jobs, the strongest seven-year gain on record.

Fiscal Responsibility
    Rudy Giuliani inherited a $2.3 billion dollar budget deficit and turned it into a multi-billion dollar surplus, while cutting taxes and delivering 8 consecutive balanced budgets. He cut the number of full-time city workers by 19%, excluding teachers and police officers, while slowing the growth of government spending to below the rate of inflation.

23. SOUTHERNCOMFORT says:

Rudy will never be our nominee way too much baggage, and would never sell ouitside the Northeast.

24. Mike Hauncho says:

Keep an eye on Saxby during the 08 campaign as a Vice Presidential candidate. You are going to need someone from the south to help win and whether it is Rudy, Mitt, McCain, or others someone from the south will be needed and I think many are focusing on Saxby to be that person.

25. StevePerkins says:

Guiliani was on his way out of office as a semi-disgraced and scandel-burden bum until 9/11 came along at the twilight of his administration. Because the nation really needed a hero at that time, all of his baggage was immediately cast aside and he rode out of office as Man of the Year.

HOWEVER, campaigns that grind away for a year-and-half tend to chip away at glossy veneers and get down to old baggage pretty darn quick. Triple-amputee war vet Max Cleland was successfully cast as soft on defense (?!?) by Chambliss and his Peanut-Subsidy-Republicans faction. Do you honestly think that being the mayor who happened to be there at the time, and turning down an Arab contribution check or two on principle, would be enough to keep Rudy’s personal life and political scandals at bay through the long haul?

Why on earth would this guy want to give up his heroic legacy in the history books, not to mention the millions in speaker fees and consulting contracts? No way does he run, and he’s a fool if he does.

26. rugby_fan says:

Huckabee or Barbour would be far better choices IMO.

And it is not like there is a dearth of southern Republicans in leadership roles who would do far better than “the Sax” in such a position.

27. StevePerkins says:

On another note Debbie, folks like you and the Swift Boat guys puzzle me. John McCain hasn’t accused anyone of torture. He’s just pushed for greater transparency and clarity on the issue, and it’s a discrace to our nation that this had to come from a maverick Senator rather than our executive branch.

Admitting that people aren’t perfect and can do things they shouldn’t during war, and that we have to be vigiliant to maintain our principles in wartime, does not make you treasonous or even unpatriotic. It makes you a faithful American and a decent person.

28. Swimfan06 says:

Forget all this talk about Rudy and Mccain- they are the current front runners only the way Dean was early in the last cycle. Rudy’s too liberal, with too much baggage, and McCain is too liberal and is from D.C.

Its all about Mitt in 2008- he’s done a great job with the budget in Massachussetts and aggressively pressed a good conservative agenda. Everyone up there loves him and wishes he’d run again- plus, he can be considered a national conservative hero due to his strong run against Ted Kennedy in the 90s. His religion will be a negative early on but will cease to be a factor once people realize that the Mormons are reasonable, conservative people, and its the record that counts.

Further, he looks and acts presidential. Has the pedigree, as his father was multiple term governor in Michigan. The nominee has to be a governor like Mitt, not someone from D.C., and when paired with someone from the South, like Saxby or Huckabee, it will make for a winning ticket against Mark Warner.

29. MountainThinker says:

McCain would face Guiliani for the moderates and win. The ’08 race is going to be two Mini-primaries. GOP will be McCain vs. stronger conservative (Huckabee or Allen). Of those two, a tobacco dipping senator with a less-than-genial personal manner (Stuffy blue-blood feel) or a former Southern minister turned wildly popular Governor who turned around Clinton-Arkansas, plays in a rock band, is a weight-loss and health champ, and who speaks with the CHarisma of Reagan. The Dems will be Hillary vs either Mark Warner or Evan Bayh…and only Huckabee could beat Warner or Bayh…

30. debbie0040 says:

I like Allen and Newt but still think it will be a footrace between Rudy and McCain. I detest McCain and it has nothing to do with Bush.

McCain is very erratic. He is also in favor of amnesty for illegals. Remember the ill fated Kennedy-McCain Immigration Bill? Then there is McCain-Feingold…McCain will be known as the pro amnesty for illegal aliens candidate.

31. pvsys says:

If Rudy gets the nomination… he will have to carry California or the Republicans have absolutely zero chance… But I don’t think he will do that.

Basically, Rudy has much baggage in his personal life and the media will treat him a lot more like they did Bob Packwood than they did Bill Clinton (in spite of some wishful thinking by many Republicans… remember, they are the party of double standards… look what they tried to say about Bush on security and privacy even though Clinton was the king of using Government to intrude… like all those IRS audits of conservative organizations in the 90s, the “clipper chip

32. techtrack says:

demonbeck,
    rice? she’s never been elected. i think she is a bright talented women. she needs get elected to something before she runs for president or vp.

33. Demonbeck says:

Secretary of State is an excellent platform to jump into the Pres or VP position. specially for someone who is so qualified. Besides it would probably be a good thing to elect someone who has never been elected to office.

34. Decaturguy says:

Debbie never acknowledged her apparent opposition to the Federal Marriage Amendment. If issues like gay marriage should be left to the states, then, Debbie, aren’t you opposed to the Constitutional Amendment?

35. StevePerkins says:

Let’s talk Saxby into it.

Yeah, please do whatever you can to talk Saxby into leaving the Senate… so we can maybe get rid of subsidies and finally get a real multinational trade deal going. It’d be nice to be able to boil a pot of peanuts without paying more than you would for filet mignon.

36. caroline says:

George Allen? George Felix Allen Jr.? You’ve got to be kidding! They guy hung a lynching noose in his law office. He drug his sister by her hair to the edge of a cliff instilling a life long fear of heights. George Felix Allen Jr. who had an anti-american french mother? George Felix Allen Jr. who talks tough but hid out in a dude ranch during VN? George Felix Allen Jr. who left VA in a fiscal mess? Yeah, he’s a great candidate if you want to win less states than Bob Dole did in 1996.

37. pvsys says:

Caroline,

You know… you are high on ranting but short on specifics. Sure, George’s sister doesn’t like him very much… but you know, I’d have hated Ronald Reagan too if I had believed everything that Patti Davis ever said bad about Reagan.

Using your methods, I could pick apart virtually any candidate in any party.

The lynching noose meant that he was tough on crime. He emphatically stated so. Sure, he has been a bit over the top in some of his rhetoric… but so was Reagan. This is the 1st I’ve ever heard of VA being in a fiscal mess during or just after George’s term as governer there… but I do often hear Dems complain about how George always votes for tax cuts.

As a matter of fact, while of course there is only one Ronald Reagan, the most frustrating thing I hear lately is when fellow conservative Republicans talk about how George Allen’s positions make him “too conservative to be electable”… then I’ll ask these SAME republicans to name for me any position that Allen has taken that puts him to the right of Ronald Reagan. Their silence is then deafening… and I find this a sad day in America when Reagan is himself’s political positions are too conservative and would make him “unelectable”.

(But I still wish Chris Cox would run!)

38. caroline says:

All of this about Allen has been reported. What was hanging a lynching noose in his law office have anything to do with “being tough on crime?” Is he a racist who thinks only black people commit crimes.

Allens problem isn’t that he’s like Reagan, it’s that’s he’s too much like Bush. He wants to continue an agenda that only 1/3 of americans approve. That seems like a lanslide loss to me.

39. pvsys says:

Bush’s 1/3 approval ratings had more to do with his moves to the left or the center than anything conservative he has done!

For example, if Bush had …

(1) been stronger on border security earlier

(2) stronger on holding the line on spending

(3) done a better job of showing the American people the tremendous amount of evidence we now have that Iraq DID have MUCH WMDs… this evidence trickled in little by little… but by now the cumulative sum total is actually very impressive!

Had Bush done ALL three of these things, then his approval rating would be easily close to or beyond 50 percent.

If you mean that Allen is too much like Bush in THESE types of areas where Bush has been moderate or liberal… then count me out of supporting Allen if you could prove such.

But if you mean that Allen is too much like Bush in everything else which Bush has done (which has been excellent), then count me as more supportive than ever of Allen.

Give me a break about the lynching noose… you obviously WANT to see that as a racial symbol… but long before the KKK existed… it was a symbol of justice and law and order… a message to criminals that they will pay dearly for their crimes. and that is all Allen meant by this and he has empatically stated so. What is so hard to understand about this!

Apparently, you can’t give Allen the benefit of the doubt in the least extent. Therefore, frankly, I don’t that you’ve made up your mind regardless of the facts and you come to our mini-debate with an agenda.

–Rob McEwen

40. foray says:

Saxby as VP- he is too old and has told people he’ll run one more time.

Isakson is the Southern VP choice – if any

41. caroline says:

You are actually promoting lynching as a good thing? Yeah, that’s going to play really, really well with the rest of America.

The fact is that Allen has voted with Bush 97% of the time. It is a record that he can’t run away from no matter how hard he tries.

As far as Bush goes, his 33% is not because he is too far left. If you look at the internals on the polls, conservatives are about the only ones left who support his agenda. Bush is a conservative and apparently beloved by most conservatives.

42. pvsys says:

Even though your statement:

“conservatives are about the only ones left who support his agenda”

…is true…

Your statement

“his 33% is not because he is too far left”

is dead wrong!

The simple fact is that **some** conservatives approve of Bush’s job performance because they balance his accomplishments (war on terror, excellent judicial appointments, pro-life record, tax cuts) against his failures (poor border security, runaway spending) and have decided that his accomplishments outweigh his failures.

Those are the 33+% of americans who support Bush.

Other conservatives simply believe that his failures (where he veered left!!!) outweigh his accompishments and these represent about 20% of americans… making a total of about just over 50%.

Allen is not going to have to run away from any of his votes… sure… the lynching noose was politically a bad idea… but that fact that you keep making a mountain out of a molehill on it demonstrates that you really don’t have very many solid facts to back up your shrill anti-Allen rhretoric. Funny how so much is made out of this hanging noose… which was just symbolism… now being purposely misinterpreted… but no one seems to have a problem with Robert Byrd’s actualy participation in the KKK.

I should note that if you take a look at real tangible undenible behavior in Rudy’s personal life (not mere symbolism misinterpreted), you are going to find much more damaging things than anything you’ve brought up about George Allen.

I think a lot of the wind got taken out of Bush’s sails due to his appointment of Harriet Miers. He lost much support from conservatives and I don’t think he fully recovered.

Plus, Bush lost some support from “isolationist” conservatives like Pat Bucannan who would likely be MORE in opposition to a social liberal nominee than their opposition to Bush over war issues.

To imply that “Bush failed, therefore we need a moderate or liberal republican nominee next time around” is only something that someone who is either very confused about the facts would say or someone who is actually rather liberal would say. (I can’t quite figure out which are your… but I’m becoming convinced that you are one of the other)

–Rob McEwen

43. IndyInjun says:

Saxby has betrayed the principles of the GOP and is emblematic of the insane spending that has gone on in Washington, DC over the last six years.

One would HOPE that there remain enough folks in the Georgia GOP true to the precepts of limited government and fiscal conservatism to mount a very serious challenge aimed at dumping this charlatan.

If not, perhaps the Democrats will put forth an attractive candidate so that those of us who actually have CONSERVATIVE principles will have someone to vote for.

44. Jeff Emanuel says:

Indy, feel free to vote however you want. However (and I know you are tired of hearing this), even if you vote for a “principled, conservative” Democrat, at the end of the day, that person is going to go to Washington as cast his or her ballot for Harry Reid or some other big-spending, anti-defense Liberal Progressive to be Majority Leader. Even if your newly selected Senator does vote the issues based on his or her “conservative principles,” the Democrat majority will make sure that that is a completely wasted vote (for more info, see GA’s Exhibit A: Sen. Zell Miller, who broke with the Democrats on many issues, but still cast his vote for Tom Daschle for Majority Leader, thus giving the Democrats control of the Senate and of what issues would even be discussed there, let alone voted on.)

Anyway, again, cast your vote for whomever you would like to; just please consider all of the potential consequences when you do so.

45. John Konop says:

Jeff,

Which Republicans running would call a “principled, conservative” as far as spending.

I would say only Rudy could hold his head up. Yet I do not see him getting support of the CC when they see his past. The strange part ,if you are a conservative you should support STATE RIGHTS. It does not mean you only like it when it fits your agenda.

I do think Decaturguy question to Debbie is the key to Rudy being able to get CC support.

46. caroline says:

LOL! I’m not being shrill I’m laughing and being sarcastic. Apparently you can’t pick up on that. Robert Byrd isn’t running for President. Why does this “lowest common denominator” pander come up in any discussion? It has nothing to do with Allen.

You’re saying that we need a conservative like Allen and Bush has moved too far to the left but Allen voted for everything Bush told him to. If you want a repeat of the Bush agenda then Allen definitely is your guy. It wasn’t Harriet Miers that dropped support, it was the constant cronyism and ineptness that dropped his support.

As far as Rudy goes, I think he has zero chance of getting out of the primary. I think Allen has a good chance of getting out of the primary but getting creamed in the general.

47. caroline says:

John Konop,
    Don’t try to reason with Debbie. It doesn’t work that way. You just make excuses for whomever when he’s “your guy”.

48. IndyInjun says:

Jeff,

Where is the insistence that GOP officeholders honor the limited government and responsible spending principles of the party?

To summarize your position, I should either quit voting or vote for officeholders who have betrayed us all, just for some twisted loyalty to a party that has deceived us at every turn.

I favor another approach and that is to eliminate the liars and crooks by voting them out.

Shouldn’t it be in the INTEREST OF THE PARTY to mount opposition to an incumbent who has abandoned its principles?

49. debbie0040 says:

I will admit I have issues with the DOMA. I think the ammendment should be re-worded to simply state that marriage is not a constitutional right and the states will make the decisions regarding marriage. I think that should be left up to the states, but unfortunately I can see where the current Federal Judiciary has made that necessary. They are not leaving it up to the states to decide.

The Constitutional Ammendment will have to be voted on and decided by the states. It is not something that only congress will decide on. So the states will make the final decision whether or not to pass the ammendment. The voters of the states will make that final decision.

I think the CC will support Rudy because they see Hillary as a greater threat and because Rudy will govern from the right and if Rudy agrees to appoint originalists to the Supreme Court like Roberts and Scalia. As I have stated, my parents like Rudy and they are CC, right wingers.

50. debbie0040 says:

31% of Republicans view Rudy as conservative compared to 19% for McCain

Middle of Road by Most
    36% View Former NYC Mayor as Moderate
    August 15, 2006

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani With the fifth anniversary of 9/11 upon us, memories of that tragic event are returning to the forefront of public consciousness. Among the many haunting images of that day and those that followed, one unmistakable individual stood out. Whether he was walking the city streets in the hours after the attack, encouraging rescue workers in the rubble or reassuring the public via his daily briefings, if there was any calm to be found in the storm of September 11th, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani was it.

Though he’s since returned to private life, he never seems to be out of the public eye. Whether he will make a return to political life with a run for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination remains to be seen.

The latest Rasmussen Reports survey finds that 36% of Americans classify Giuliani as a political moderate. Twenty-nine percent (29%) say conservative and 15% liberal. Twenty percent (20%) are not sure.

These survey results place Giuliani three points to the left of the political center.

The political center is calculated by subtracting the number of liberals from the number of conservatives among the general public (35% conservative, 18% liberal for a net +17). For Giuliani, 29% conservative minus 15% liberal equals a net plus 14. The plus 14 reading for Giuliani is 3 points away from the plus 17 reading for the general public.

While most candidates want to be as close to the political center as possible, Giuliani may seek the nomination of a party that is to the right of the political center. Among his own party ranks, 43% consider Giuliani moderate, 31% conservative and 13% liberal. However, many pundits believe perceptions of the Mayor will shift as Republican primary voters learn more about his views on abortion and other issues.

Arizona Sen. John McCain, current frontrunner for the 2008 GOP presidential nod, is seen by 46% of Republicans as moderate. Nineteen percent (19%) say he’s conservative and 19% liberal.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, the former First Lady—and Giuliani’s “would-have-been