McKINNEY FINISHED! (Liveblog from Hank’s HQ)

Greetings all! Tonight I will be in the field, liveblogging election returns and events from Hank Johnson’s election-night gathering in the heart of Decatur. Tune in from 8:30pm on, and I will do my best to provide you with the best election night blogging possible.

All right, I’m here at the Holiday Inn in Decatur to cover the Hank Johnson election night event. Whether they love Johnson or simply hate Cynthia McKinney, there’s a good-sized crowd here on hand for the festivities! So, let the games begin:

[8:15] Just arrived at the blogger table, where I’m joined by Tom Baxter of the AJC Political Insider, Will Hinton of Dignan’s 75-Year Plan, and Andre’ Walker of Georgia Politics Unfiltered. Nice setup, we have prime corner real estate…but Holiday Inn doesn’t have wireless set up this far from the lobby. Working on connectivity now.

[8:30] Set up, but with internet connectivity issues. Still working on it…

[9:11] Hank makes a brief appearance in the lobby to much audience fanfare and an extremely loud band.

[9:15] People are constantly approaching the four of us with computers to ask the latest numbers. Hank’s still winning—and that makes them happy J

[9:19] a young lady with the campaign just informed us that we’ve been seated at the wrong table. Oh, well; we ain’t moving.

[9:30] This internet is seriously getting on my nerves. Former State Rep Mike Jacobs is at the table talking politics, and folks are getting antsy at the lack of DeKalb county returns in. Still 12% reporting, 75-25 Johnson, but DeKalb is the area that matters.

[9:33] With the lack of DeKalb returns, any hope that there would be a Ralph Reed-esque early bow out for McKinney is vanishing…

[9:34] Hank appears at the podium, to chants of “Hank, Hank, Hank..

1. John Konop says:

I am not saying this sample means anything ,but I did find it interesting.I was talking to a dozen parents who voted at my kids soccer practice. All of them said they were voting for Kemp. By the way, Bill did better than Karen, but I was in Cherokee.Bill to Karen was I think 7 to 5 or 8 to 4.Being in Cherokee seemed normal.

2. GOPeach says:

I’m live blogging at Catherine Davis HQ.
    We await to see who she will run against.in Nov.

Catherine Davis will carry the 4th in ’06.

It’s time for a Conservative Black Lady
    for a change!

3. John Konop says:

GOPeach,

I wish the best for Catherine. And Brian is a great person and I am sure Catherine feels lucky to have his help.Please tell Brian to give me a call soon.

4. stephaniemills21 says:

Insider Advantage has called it for Black and Handel. Wish it was Stephens instead. The GOP has lucked out twice this year when they chose Cagle and Handel. I am not happy.

5. whitemalevoters says:

Get real. Stephens is down by 8,000 votes with 40% reporting. He’s done for. I guess there are no more white male voters left in that race. 🙂

6. stephaniemills21 says:

They did not have the call for Martin when I looked. There is another win for the GOP. Martin is so freaking tainted and I am so afraid of the ads.

7. MountainThinker says:

Stebin Horne got whalloped in the 137th house run off, and Hicks is within striking distance

Mizz Sin-thia is gettin’ whooped! so far, but only 12% reporting 74% to Johnson

8. MountainThinker says:

depends on where you’re lookin Rome…

12% reporting

Henry C. “Hank” Johnson, Jr. 2,466 73.9%
    Cynthia McKinney 873 26.1%

9. stephaniemills21 says:

Those are the precincts in the other counties, Gwinnett and Rockdale. No DeKalb in yet.

10. Romegaguy says:

That does not include DeKalb. Look at what is reported in the DeKalb Solicitor’s race… that would be 0% to 0%

11. Romegaguy says:

My latest words of wisdom…

It is over for Stephens. Fulton County not yet in and Handel is beating him handedly.

Whomever had the “pulse” for that Ag race with the horse fancier guaranteed by 4% needs to get to an ER and see if they can be revived.

12. MountainThinker says:

for the curious…

State Senator, District 49
    Republican
    87% of precincts reporting Votes Percentage

Lee Hawkins 5,380 57.9%
    Mark E. Musselwhite 3,911 42.1%

Looks like it’s Hawkins by a wide margin

13. MountainThinker says:

Serious Nailbiters

State Representative, District 22
    Republican
    94% of precincts reporting Votes Percentage

Sean Jerguson 1,737 50.5%
    Mary Wilhite 1,702 49.5%

District Attorney, Paulding Circuit
    Republican
    97% of precincts reporting Votes Percentage

Dick Donovan 1,383 49.8%
    Drew Lane 1,394 50.2%

14. Romegaguy says:

Wonder why Secretary of State’s site not providing vote updates today… Just cuz someone loses doesnt mean that they shouldnt do their job. Just saying.

15. Pingback: Mary Katharine Ham
  16. Senator Eric Johnson says:

Congratulations to Lee Hawkins. We welcome you to the Republican Caucus.
    Looks like our ticket is set. Time to Rock ‘n’ Roll!

17. MountainThinker says:

U.S. Representative, District 4
    Democrat
    18% of precincts reporting

Henry C. “Hank” Johnson, Jr. 5,193 75.9%
    Cynthia McKinney 1,648 24.1%

18. MountainThinker says:

U.S. Representative, District 4
    Democrat
    35% of precincts reporting Votes Percentage

Henry C. “Hank” Johnson, Jr. 11,295 61.5%
    Cynthia McKinney 7,073 38.5%

19. Groseclose says:

I just got home from Black’s victory celebration. It was good to have the Governor and Mrs. Perdue there for most of the night. We are all proud of Gary, his family, and team.
    He is going to make a great Commissioner of Agriculture.

Though Kemp became desperate towards the end, for the most part, Brian is a decent man. I wish him and his family the best.

SouthernCo, so much for your four points, huh?

20. conservativecore says:

Just got back from Connecticut and folks there believe Joe gets on the ballot as an independent splintering the Democratic Party and the GOP shmoo has a chance. I told the they should just back Joe and watch the fireworks in DC. Plus the candidate the GOP has found is not what will win state wide and not who we want to show as our next generation.

21. GabrielSterling says:

Just as an interesting side note; if Johnson goes on to win (which, let’s face it, is likely) he will be the first Buddhist elected to Congress in history.

This was not my find. A friend pointed it out.

22. GOPeach says:

Hey John Konop –

Catherine Davis and Cindye Coates said “Hello!”
    They are both amazingly brilliant women.

I take it you know them both. 🙂

23. UnknownTruths says:

Good Morning,

This morning more than most I looked forward to reading all the posts regarding the run off elections. I am in Chicago on business and the coverage up here has been great regarding Lieberman Lamont and McKinney. This morning at the coffee table my coworkers from around the country were all talking about how great it was to have a McKinney voted down.

On another note we are all in agreeance that Lieberman will win CT with the independent vote. CT turn out of democrats went from 10% to 20% for this election, which is being portrayed as record turnout by the “drive by media” outlets (yes yes I listen to Rush). CT registered voters have a higher number of Independents than they do Republicans or Democrats….Lieberman will take the majority of Independents, and some of the Democrats and Republican votes in November to win the Independent seat.

If Dem’s believe this election shows them to run an anti-war campaign they are mistaken. I hope Soros continues his influence on the party and continues to taken them further to the left. To many people remember Vietnam and Beirut.

Have a great day, and I am loving this 84 degree weather with low humidity =)

24. John Konop says:

Unknowntruth,

A month ago I was watching C-Span call in show that was for CT callers only on the race. The part I found interesting is more calls were talking about lost jobs & trade,health-care and spending more than the war.Do not get me wrong there was a strong anti-war callers, but it was not the only issue.

I also saw Lamont victory speach on C-Span and it was big on spending , jobs and health-care and less on the war.I do not know if this means anything, but it was interesting.

The strangest speach , should of been on comedy central was Cynthia. She did nothing wrong, the media got all of us against her because she is the next MLK looking out for us.I would like to hear why someone would vote for this lady?

25. John Konop says:

Digan,

You may be right. But I think if she keeps talking about illegal immigration and jobs she will do well. I spoke twice in all black churches about the job issue with respect to illegal immigration & trade and was warmly recieved.I knew most everyone was out of my district, but I wanted to see how the message would resonate.

This issue is a blind spot for Johnson.

26. GOPeach says:

John Konop-

Cindye Coates is an inspiration to me.
    I know a man who debated Cindye Coates’ in
    college. He said she is known as ” The Velvet Hammer”.
    Her husband and sons are quite impressive also.

FYI- I can’t drive through Dunwoody, Marietta,
    and Kennesaw without seeing streets named after
    her grandfather and uncles. Her roots are deep.

Digan-

Catherine Davis has a powerful warchest now. She
    had no oppoistion in the primary. People threw
    money at her to get Cynthia out. Hank is broke and
    Catherine is strong. Frankly the dems will vote for
    a republican black woman over a liberal man.

If I were a betting woman, I would bet my Benz
    that Catherine pulls this off this time. She is
    very underestimated. That’s a plus!

She like that idea actually.

27. MorganCoGOP says:

GOPeach, as much as I would love to see Catherine Davis be the next Congressperson from the 4th, she has no chance at this seat. It’s just too Liberal a District for her to win it.

28. Romegaguy says:

Too bad Ralph’s friends havent made wagering legal in this state yet Peachy because there are several people that would be lining up to take your Benz…

29. GOPeach says:

MorganCoGOP-

The same was said of Rudy in NY.

Romeguy-

Lot’s of wagering still goes on…
    Just go to Athens and watch what
    happens after a UGA football game.

As for me- I tell you what-
    just to make things real intersting…

I will donate my Benz to charity-
    when Catherine Davis wins the 4th
    in Nov. I need a tax write off anyway.:)

30. GOPeach says:

Jeff-

Black Dem Women
    will vote for a Single Black Woman like
    Catherine Davis in a heart beat.
    (R) or (D)… It matters not.

They know she will “feel their pain”.

FYI- Catherine has bought all the
    Oprah spots from now to Nov.
    It’s a shoe in. Believe it!

Also – The word is out that Johnson
    is a Buddhist. That does not fly with
    Lithonia and South Dekalb mega
    black Churches. Bernice King and Eddie
    Long are backing Catherine.

This is Catherine’s year!

I call her Catheine the Great!

31. Jeff Emanuel says:

Ms. Peach: I am in need of a new car. Care to wager your Benz with me on the outcome of that race? 😉

I wrote a column back in June previewing a possible McKinney-Davis showdown this November, and, while I like Ms. Davis’s stance on many issues, I just don’t see her winning in that district — even now, when her opponent is Hank Johnson. In fact, I don’t even see it being close. That doesn’t mean I don’t like her; I’m just calling it like I see it.

32. John Konop says:

GoPeach,

You got a big heart.Call me and I will help your effort. I am also giving money to both Catherine and Cindye even before my BIG HEARTED friend GoPeach started blogging. I would hope everyone else does. The better they do , it will help in the state wide race.

By the way many said the same about Cindye. And now many of us know she will win this time.

33. GOPeach says:

Attention all Conservatives (R) or (D) –
    It matters not. Listen to me…..

My son ( the local “rock star”)
    just informed me that Cynthia McKinney
    played this song at her Run Off Rally
    ( below) ….

A song by Pink about depending on
    The Gov-ment to be “Yo Provida”.

I just want to say that Cathine Davis
    will not give this message. She is a
    single mom who has worked her
    butt off to be a layer for Sprint.
    She struggles like all of us but will
    not let Uncle Sam be her husband!!!

She depends on the brains the
    good Lord gave her and she
    will be a powerful inspiration to
    those in the 4th! They need her.

Do not hinder her by blogging
    “she has no chance”. We need her.
    Let’s rally with her and help out
    the 4th that has suffered for
    far too long.

Call me ” emotional” but I am
    fighting back the tears as I
    type. The 4th has suffered with
    weak leadership for too long.
    They desereve better. These
    people are wonderful. They
    simply need a change.

They do not need a man-
    They need a plan!

Catherine will NOT sing this song:

“Dear Mr. President”
    Pink and The Indigo Girls

Dear Mr. President
    Come take a walk with me
    Let’s pretend we’re just two people and
    You’re not better than me
    I’d like to ask you some questions if we can speak honestly

What do you feel when you see all the homeless on the street
    Who do you pray for at night before you go to sleep
    What do you feel when you look in the mirror
    Are you proud

How do you sleep while the rest of us cry
    How do you dream when a mother has no chance to say goodbye
    How do you walk with your head held high
    Can you even look me in the eye
    And tell me why

Dear Mr. President
    Were you a lonely boy
    Are you a lonely boy
    Are you a lonely boy
    How can you say
    No child is left behind
    We’re not dumb and we’re not blind
    They’re all sitting in your cells
    While you pave the road to hell

What kind of father would take his own daughter’s rights away
    And what kind of father might hate his own daughter if she were gay
    I can only imagine what the first lady has to say
    You’ve come a long way from whiskey and cocaine

How do you sleep while the rest of us cry
    How do you dream when a mother has no chance to say goodbye
    How do you walk with your head held high
    Can you even look me in the eye

Let me tell you bout hard work
    Minimum wage with a baby on the way
    Let me tell you bout hard work
    Rebuilding your house after the bombs took them away
    Let me tell you bout hard work
    Building a bed out of a cardboard box
    Let me tell you bout hard work
    Hard work
    Hard work
    You don’t know nothing bout hard work
    Hard work
    Hard work
    Oh

How do you sleep at night
    How do you walk with your head held high
    Dear Mr. President
    You’d never take a walk with me
    Would you

34. GOPeach says:

That is wonderful John Konop!

Cindye Coates is our Sea Biscuit!

Catherine Davis is our Rudy!
    ( as in the movie of the kid who played
    for Notre Dame).

They NEVER quit! They are ALL HEART!
    We need women like this to set the pace
    for other women to stand on their own
    two feet and not depend on Uncle Sam!

Cindye was raised by a single mom.
    Her mother never accepted welfare.
    She worked for HUD. ( Marietta Housing
    Authority) She saw 4 generations living
    in poverty and knew that she never wanted
    to depend on that!!!!

TIME FOR A NEW MESSAGE from WOMEN
    In GOVERNMENT!!!! This is great for
    the ECONOMY!!!

You are a wise man John Konop!

I like you!

35. Romegaguy says:

I have a question. The blog awards that were recently awarded, were they for the year or will their be others awarded this year. If other awards are going to be awarded soon, then I have a nomination for funniest comment…