Stephens Autocall Attack

From the tipline:
Just got a hard hitting autocall from Bill Stephens’ neighbor. It really hits Handel hard on lobbying the gay vote to get elected Fulton Commission chair. It also accuses her of taking taxpayer money for trips to Boston and Hawaii. It was pretty nasty, but I thought it was effective.

1. JRM2016 says:

Heard a lot about this mail piece the other day with the quote from Nick Ayers, but haven’t heard anyone from Columbus or Savannah who received it. Guess Stephens is running so low on cash he is restricting his false negative advertising to 3-4 cent autocalls that people hate to receive.

Quick response: Karen has gay constitutents in Fulton County. I am sure she campaigned for everyone to vote for her. She did not “lobby” the gay vote, if by that you mean promise to do something for that community. That is the convenience of vague words like “lobby”, they allow someone to skate around the truth without lying.

She did not take taxpayer money for campaign trips and this was addressed in the first campaign debate.

Too bad Stephens cannot say a thing about what he would do if elected, other than his promise to arrest Cynthia McKinney (which he has no authority to do) and pass a Voter ID constitutional amendment to Georgia’s constitution (which won’t stop challenges on a Federal constitutional basis—its called the “Supremacy Clause” Bill, check it out sometime).

I would say Bill Stephens campaign has made me ashamed to call myself a Republican, but then I recall that Bill Stephens is really a Bill Clinton supportin’, ethics law violatin’, flip-floppin’ Democrat pretending to be a Republican.

Handel ’06

2. techtrack says:

same ol’ bs from stephens. It would nice just once to hear what he’s going to do for the citizens of georgia as sos.

3. Maurice Atkinson says:

I like the way Karen has established her platform. It makes sense and her goals are needed and achievable. Karen has a proven recorded of running a governmental entity, successfully. That speaks for itself. Hopefully, people can look beyond the promises and rhetoric, in any election, and support people who can actually accomplish what they say. Nothing against Sen. Stephens, I don’t know him. But I do see the accomplishments of Karen and am confident my vote yesterday was a good one.

4. CobbGOPer says:

For Stephens’ benefit: I voted early yesterday as well, and I voted for Karen Handel. More will follow on Tuesday.

It’s over, Bill. Auto-calls on Thursday and Friday before the election is too late to be effective. And God help you if you robo-call all weekend, people will vote against you just out of spite for that.

As for his mail: like I’ve said before, my sources indicated that Bill’s mailing ‘universe’ was about half the size of Handel’s. So it makes sense, JRM, that you wouldn’t be seeing much mail down your way.

I’ve been scouring the TV and radio airwaves for any ads from Stephens, and can find none.

Stephens has no momentum, no money, and no chance. It’s over.

5. techtrack says:

a quote about stephens from the good conservative republican chuck bown.

“I’ve met with Sen. Stephens and he had what I considered to be a conciliatory tone,

6. GOPeach says:

Bill is a nice man.

He has a nice family.

He looks like Johnny Carson. 🙂

His wife is a WSB reporter ( Shannon Stephens).

I wish he had stayed in the Senate.

This makes me sad.

7. techtrack says:

gapeach,
    he has run a negative, mean spirited, false attack campaign for a year. it is sad that he didn’t take the time to understand the issues and run a issues based campaign.

8. Cobb County says:

Does anyone think that Stephens is going to win the runoff, because I really do not think he will.

And I even voted for him.

9. whitemalevoters says:

Cobb County,

White male voters KNOW that Bill Stephens is going to win the runoff. When has the white male voter EVER lost in America?

10. debbie0040 says:

WMV, Roy Barnes lost and he is a white male:) So is Jimmy Carter….And John Kerry and Al Bore

11. CobbGOPer says:

Candidates in runoff that led primary by 10% or greater = 70% winning percentage.

Candidates in runoff that led primary by 10% or greater AND are women = 79% winning percentage.

Primary Results – Handel – 44%, Stephens – 33%

11% difference.

Handel wins runoff. I say 55% to 45%

Anyone else have a prediction?

12. bowersville says:

Handel by 10+%. We’re down to the hard core voters for August 8th, ie: strong candidate supporters and those who always vote. I will venture that the type of voters who will vote in this runoff have allready heard all this B/S before and all the mailers, e-mailers, robo calls, commercials, etc. that Stephens could mount of this type on his limited budget will make no difference, other than to generally aggravate those who always vote and Handel supporters, thus driving Handel numbers up. The only ones who will cheer about this type of robo call will be the avid Stephen’s supporters

Good luck on getting your calls to the right people prior to the 8th. There will only be about 100K to 150K to vote on the R side.

13. whitemalevoters says:

Debbie,

What evidence do you have that Roy Barnes, John Kerry, Jimmy Carter, and Al Gore are white males?!? You can’t just come on here and spout off whatever you want. You have no proof to back up your outrageous assertions.

I’ll give you this though, they were all BEATEN by white males in their respective races.

Next thing I know, you’ll be trying to convince us that Karen Handel is a white male voter.

Don’t be fooled by the Handel spin machine. Karen Handel is NOT a white male voter. Bill Stephens is the ONLY white male voter left in the race.

Stephens ’06!