Racial politics in Clayton County

This kind of thing isn’t new in politics or in Clayton County.

A campaign flier is being circulated that accuses a white county commission candidate of being racially insensitive to African-Americans.

The glossy flier urges voters to support Lee Scott, an African-American, but does not identify his white opponent, Michael Edmondson, by name. The flier says Scott’s “challenger” was the “grand master” of a July Fourth parade in Jonesboro and “marched and paraded under the Confederate flag. …”

“We don’t need anyone like this representing us,” the flier said.

At the bottom of the flier is picture of Edmondson’s head superimposed on the Rebel flag. Underneath, it reads “The Confederate Flag man?” Beside Edmondson’s photo is a picture of Lee Scott, with his name underneath.

1. Demonbeck says:

It’s sad that this type of racial politics will probably win the election for someone so willing to use it. Now regardless of who wins, you have a divided constituency who will never like you because of the color of your skin.

2. LINDA says:

Oh, this is just the beginning of a spiral downward in Georgia politics. Twenty years from now, a white person will not be able to win a garbage collector position, when demographics change.

3. Demonbeck says:

That’s not the answer Linda. It shouldn’t matter what color the politician’s skin is – now or in twenty years.

This politics of race is propagated by leaders of both parties – however in recent years, it has been pushed harder by African American politicians like Lee Scott, Al Sharpton and Cynthia McKinney.

If you ask me, politicians like this are Uncle Toms to their own race. They would rather see people of their own color remain poor and uneducated so they can continue to hold power. Minorities who become educated and wealthy and begin to think for themselves is a direct threat to them.

They are Uncle Toms because they would rather see their own people stuck on the plantation of reliance on big government than as men (and women) freed from the burdens of economic slavery. In other words, they want their people beholden to a master, so they can continue to sleep in the Plantation house.

4. LINDA says:

Well Demonbeck,

I don’t know how old you are, but if you are still living in Georgia twenty years from now, a white politician won’t be able to have a seat in any government office. You may not like my message, but I tell it like it is! it is demographics, and they are changing as I type this comment.

5. LINDA says:

Well Demonbeck,

Sorry to shatter your delusions of grandeur, but that is the reality that I personally see in Atlanta, in Macon, in Washington DC, in Las Angeles, in Detroit or any place where people of color have taken over the demographics of that area. You tell me, do you honestly think that there will ever be a white mayor in Atlanta, again? You see, I see things for what they are. I know because I ran for office in Bibb County, GA and I know firsthand how race plays a very big part in an election. Don’t even take my word for it, do a google about how members of race will vote in elections. White people are more apt to vote for a black candidate in a much higher percentage than a black will choose to vote for a white candidate when runnig against a black candidate. It is a fact.

6. whitemalevoters says:

Linda,

White male voters have not noticed this trend. And we do think that there will be a white male voter elected as Mayor of Atlanta. Sooner than you think.

Skin color shouldn’t matter though.

7. LINDA says:

Did you happen to see the Million Man March in Washington DC in 1995? You see skin color matters to those that follow Farrakhan, which by the way the NAACP members and their followers do. Why else would Farrakhan point to the White House and say “the White House will oneday be the Black House.” I heard it and saw it with my own eyes. Certainly skin color does not matter to a fraction of the black race, but the majority see that when they have the demographics to be in power that is their vision of the American Dream. Have you looked at the direction that South Africa has now taken? You need to be brought into the light of how things really are.

8. Demonbeck says:

Linda,

You are correct. You can check my second post in this thread to see how I feel about that fact. However, I have to believe that 20 years from now that these trends will have softened considerably. Consider this, twenty years ago, would anyone have believed that Republicans would control both houses of the General Assembly and the Governor’s Mansion – much less had black elected Republicans?

The time is coming that blacks will no longer vote as a single bloc.

9. Demonbeck says:

Linda,

Don’t lecture me about South Africa. I have participated in the planning and execution of multiple fundraisers for the Amy Biehl Foundation – http://www.amybiehl.org/ – and what is going on down there is in no way indicative of what will happen here.

What you will find happening in America is that leaders like Herman Cain, JC Watts, Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Michael Steele in MD, Ken Blackwell in OH, and Melvin Everson and Willie Talton in GA will empower other African-Americans to see that there is a place for them in our party. They will see that our conservative values are their conservative values. Most importantly, they will see that the oppression their race has encountered these past few decades (centuries really) have been at the hands of the Democratic party and black leaders like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

Minorities want a hand up, not a hand out.

10. LINDA says:

And at that point of time, we will see the Republicans running on the theory of entitlement benefits to buy votes. You are correct in a sense, but will happen is that the taxpayer will see his rights trampled on when both parties are going after the 70% that live off the other 30%. So how will politics are government be any better than it is today. The only good government is that government which governs least, but we have now a Democracy that is eating itself like a cancer. It will not matter who is in power because so many government agencies have been set up, and so many people will be retiring with promised benefits that taxes will only get higher in the future. I mean that is what government is about, is it not, which is to elect someone to frugally budget spending to minimize tax collections if you run as a fiscal conservative.

But now the Republicans are no longer fiscal conservatives in Georgia because we are becoming more and more a welfare state. When the takers outnuber the givers, the politicians must cater to the takers. So yes race will not matter, and if you wnat to pay less taxes, then moving to a state that has less poor people would mean more money in your pocket.

11. whitemalevoters says:

Linda,

Mark our words. Within the next 20 years, a white male voter will be elected Mayor of Atlanta.

12. LINDA says:

And Demonbeck, I have taught at the technical college in Macon. So, I will lecture you about the truth. And the truth is that I had students in my class no older than twney that have never been married that already had three children. These young women will need a hand out the rest of their lives, as will their children. You are living in la la land, if you do not see things for what they are. Over 60% of minority children are still being born today to unmarried young girls, and that trend has increased in the last twenty years.

I do not see the same vison of optimism that you do. I see the poverty here in Macon, and the transition that you speak of simply is not going to happen.

13. LINDA says:

Dear WMV,

Well what are you going to do: Offer two months of free rent to every voter that votes for the white candidate or pay the black candidates not to run? Get real.

14. LINDA says:

And besides at that point of time, it will matter not that a black Republican runs and gets elected. As I said already, the Republicans in office today are merely Democrats that switched parties stll giving away the candy store for votes.

15. Demonbeck says:

I can understand where you are coming from Linda, but I disagree. I believe that it is the values that we espouse that will bring these new voters over to us. The Republican core belief that government is there to lend a hand when times are tough, but not a handout at all times will win them over. The idea of less government can only be attained when large voting blocs like this are broken up. Once the day comes that people no longer define themselves as part of a single special interest group is the day that government becomes smaller.

When a person considers themself as part of only one single interest group, which is often the case with African-Americans, their allegiance is only to one set of values – set forth by the leaders of that interest group. When a person is part of multiple interest groups, then their allegiances are divided. If a particular party goes against one of his or her interest groups, then it’s not such a big deal.

16. LINDA says:

17. LINDA says:

Do you realize that nearly 9% of the entire population of Georiga is either an active employee or a retiree that is on the health care plan of the state? What do you think our pension cost will be when all of the baby boomers retire from state government and then new employees also need to be hired? The color of the skin of the politician will not matter, but the green color of money will mean everything in the future. That is the bottom line, which is the budget of the State not the color of the skin of the person that gets elected to go to the Capital and vote on the budget!

18. LINDA says:

Oh, Demonbeck, you make me think with your vision of a Utopia about the show that I grew up watching “Gilligan’s Island.” I remember when a vote was held amongst the small group of marooned characters of the person chose to be the leader. Thurston Howell and the Skipper were out campainging of what the others would get if they voted for one or the other. There were seven people on the island, but what a perfect example of how politics work.

19. Demonbeck says:

“LINDA said,
    August 4, 2006 @ 2:05 pm · Edit

Ok this Republican administration has raised taxes on cigarettes, bought teachers with raises and supply spending cards, gave the Southern Company the ability to raise electric rates what by 30%, promised a grant to build a library here in Bibb County, gave away tax incentives to businesses on other taxpayers dimes and on and on. This Republican government is no different than the one that was led by Democrats. You tell me where anything has been cut. Our budget has increased in the last four years, not decreased. I do not understand where you say that the Republicans have another vision to show people that would want them to vote for them. Yes, I vote Republican but I now see that things have not changed nor will they. Politicians simply do not have the vision to do the right thing or should I say the intestinal fortitude. Because if they did the right thing, they would not get reelected. There are Republicans that vote for the candidate that will line their pokets, just like the Democrats vote for that type of candidate. What do you think that Democrats in Georgia have no values, and only the Republicans have values? That is absurd thinking. ”

Linda,

If this is your biggest problem in deciding your vote, consider this. Sonny Perdue cannot run for Governor again if he wins. Therefore, he will not have to worry about the politics of getting re-elected to office. That alone gives him the freedom to make the tough choices you say he has not made.

20. whitemalevoters says:

Linda,

We are real. There are TONS of white male voters out there. And for future reference, when you address us, don’t address us as a single entity, i.e. WMV. It’s not like “White Male Voters” is the name of a person. “White Male Voters” is who we are. We are white male voters and we speak from this screen name on peach pundit. Ok?

Now, back to the topic at hand…

There will be a white REPUBLICAN Mayor of Atlanta within the next 20 years. You had better learn to deal with it now.

21. LINDA says:

Well, what are you going to do give all of the other residents of Atlanta reparations to move? I suggest you get busy having kids today, and give your significant other fertility drugs. You know grow the ole gene pool, and make sure your kids all stay in Atlanta. LOL

22. LINDA says:

And WMVS’, May I suggest that you sign up as MV#!; MV#2….on up to MV#30 or whatever to get a bigger bang for your buck. That way you would look like a serious PAC.

23. whitemalevoters says:

LINDA,

Again you fail to grasp the simple concept of white male voters. We are NOT a political action committee. We are a minority group who is simply interested in having our voice heard in the political arena. The white male voter is consistently the most underrepresented person in American politics. NEVER in the history of the U.S.A. has any elected official looked out for the white male voter. That’s who we are, Linda. We are white male voters. We don’t need your cute little numbers. Our numbers are strong.

Mark our words, liberal, the white male voter will create the necessary conditions for a white male mayor of Atlanta within the next 20 years. So…as SouthernComfort says, “Book it”. It’s gonna happen. There is NOTHING that you and your liberal friends can do to stop it.