The Jury Is In

It would appear that one of two things is true regarding Hank Johnson’s much-rumored support for the FairTax:

(1) co-father of the FairTax Neal Boortz spoke too soon regarding Hank Johnson’s support for the plan, or
(2) the Johnson campaign has backed off its previous stance on the matter.

For my money, I’m going with the first one, as I’ve still never found a source other than Boortz on this.

Anyway, here’s the word directly from Johnson’s campaign:

Hank has expressed a willingness to carefully consider the FairTax proposal if elected to Congress. He will not reject it without giving it the consideration it deserves. He has never expressed outright support for the FairTax, however.

So there you have it, folks. It’s more than McKinney’s willing to give, but not an outright policy difference. Personally, the mental (read: sanity) difference would be enough for me were I a 4th District voter; however, as far as policy goes, Johnson and McKinney do not have the glaring differences conscience-voting Republicans would like to see.

With all due respect to Clint Austin, I think I’m on the “Vote against Cynthia” side of this, even though Johnson isn’t a FairTaxer. I guess I’m just idealistic enough to want every district’s voters to be as sanely represented as possible, even if the choice is between two dyed-in-the-wool left-wingers.

Hat tip to Dignan on the assist here.

1. techtrack says:

jeff emanuel,
    i agree, every district should be represented by the best person. i’m not in the 4th, but i certainly don’t think that cynthia is the best person to represent the 4th.

2. Clint Austin says:

Just remember – Republicans who cross over are violating party and principle to do so, really resulting in help only for the Democrats. Or such is my opinion…

Thanks for the hat tip.

3. Jeff E.,

You’re absolutely on target. Unfortunately, it’s self-righteous A-holes like Clint Austin, and some other people who post on this site from time to time, that are destroying America. They would chose to put partisan politics above good representation, while leaving the 4th district Republicans hanging out to dry. Pathetic really.

4. Demonbeck says:

By re-electing one Cynthia McKinney, at least five other districts throughout the nation recieve good representation where there would be none otherwise.

5. No, flaming, you are putting the good representation of one district over good representation of the rest of the nation.

Demon,

Now I can see why you were nominated for funniest blogger! That’s absolutely hilarious. Of course, it’s based on the assumption that having Cynthia McKinney in office is a GOOD thing for America…So, while funny, it qualifies as being the WORST argument ever based on its premise. Stick to what you’re good at. Jokes are your thing, not deciding who would represent my district better!

6. Demonbeck says:

Like it or not, Cynthia McKinney’s presence in Congress helps other districts elect Republicans.

7. GAWire says:

Oh, you’re saying that Boortz spoke out of his a** on something? Big surprise there. Why would any logical/rational thinking person listen to a thing Neal Boortz says?

Listen, folks … Hank Johnson is a Democrat. He is a liberal. We – Republicans, that is – can give up this dream trying to rationalize Johnson as someone who would ever be in our column or our court for that matter.

However, like Jeff (and others like myself) have said before, Johnson would be much better than Cynthia McKinney. I truly think McKinney is bad for our country, plain and simple, end of story. She just isn’t good … for Republicans, for Democrats, for Americans, and for the world.

Jeff, it isn’t that you are idealistic … you are just rational. You think like a logical, American, who 1) has an education, and 2) and more importantly, you have the ability to process rational thought. That makes you about 5 steps ahead of most Americans, and about 100 steps ahead of McKinney supporters.

I would rather have 4 illegal immigrants who crossed the border yesterday, and don’t speak any english represent us in Congress before Cynthia McKinney, so with that in mind, Johnson is looking pretty good right now. But don’t be mistaken, he is not a conservative, no matter how much Boortz tries to rationalize his irrational ideas.

8. Dignan says:

Clint: you made one of the most farcical comments I have ever heard.

“Republicans who cross over are violating party and principle to do so, really resulting in help only for the Democrats. “

Violating party??? You have a very strange concept of party. Your conception sounds more like Communist party dogma, in which party members must toe the party line. Unfortunately you are not the only Republican that I have heard this from, which is the primary reason that I would never consider myself a Republican. Of course, Democrats are most definitely guilty of this, as hatred of Bush is pretty much required to call oneself a Democrats. So much for that big tent approach.

Your idea is also quite Manichean, which since I believe you are a Christian, is anathema to your beliefs.

9. I am not saying that Cynthia McKinney is a good thing, I am just saying that she provides fodder for the rest of the nation. Using her as a whipping boy raises money. Tying her to other candidates throughout the nation brings them down.

Demon,

Again, big guy, you need to stick to what you’re good at–being funny. You’re not good at trying to make a clinically insane left-wing moonbat conspiracy theorist with no accomplishments seem like the better candidate to represent me or other 4th district residents.

If Republicans in “other districts” are having such a hard time getting elected that they have to pull the “Cynthia McKinney” card, then that says something quite profound about Republicans in “other districts.” If Republicans need a “whipping boy” to win elections, then that also says something profound about Republicans.

Personally, I think Republicans could and should run on a party platform. I agree with the party’s platform. Why are republicans in “other districts” so afraid to run on the platform that they have to pull the “McKinney” card? It’s because they are RINOS. They don’t truly believe in the platform themselves.

Stick to the funny, Demon. You and Clint “Tow the Party Line out of Fear of Death” Austin are NEVER going to convince anyone that having Cynthia McKinney in congress is good for America.

10. Demonbeck says:

“You’re not good at trying to make a clinically insane left-wing moonbat conspiracy theorist with no accomplishments seem like the better candidate to represent me or other 4th district residents.”

Again, you aren’t getting the point. Cynthia is not the better candidate to represent the 4th. She is clearly the lesser candidate. Outside of the 4th, though, she is a whipping boy that brings Dems down and raises money for Republicans.

I don’t know why getting that through your skull is such a difficult task.

For a person to claim themselves as a moderate, yet call for candidates to toe the party line or risk being labeled “Republican In Name Only” seems a bit odd. The Republican Party should be able to endorse people who don’t represent the entire Republican platform – not some strict “either or” code set by folks in DC. Surely, someone who claims to be a moderate would feel similarly?

11. Demonbeck,

I’m not the one asking people to “tow the party line”, funny man. I left that task up to you and Clint Austin. Both of you obviously believe that what’s best for the party should be final, even if it’s empowering Cynthia McKinney.

I KNOW CYNTHIA MAKES A GOOD WHIPPING BOY. I KNOW SHE HELPS REPUBLICANS RAISE MONEY. Do you have than now, Demon, or do I need to draw it out in crayons? Maybe I should have phrased it in the form of a joke or a witty quip…then you might have gotten it the first time!

In spite of the fact that she helps Republicans in “other districts” raise money, she needs to go. If Republicans need Cynthia McKinney to help them raise money, Demon, what does that say for Republicans?

You and Clint think that it’s okay to sacrifice my representation, as long as she whips up some money for YOUR congressman’s campaign! I think that’s bullshit. And believe me, all partisanship aside, if someone is in such a pathetic state that they have to use Cynthia McKinney to drum up money, you can be assured that that person does not (for the most part) believe in Republican principles. If he/she held true to Republican principles, he/she would have no problem getting re-elected, as the majority of people define themselves as “conservative”.

Saying that Cynthia McKinney doesn’t “represent the entire Republican platform” is like saying that Joseph Stalin didn’t “represent all of the ideas of Freedom and Democracy”. The Republican platform is like Kryptonite to Cynthia McKinney. If she gets to close to it, she’ll punch a cop.

Go back to the comedy club. Don’t lecture me on partisan politics.

12. Demonbeck says:

“Personally, I think Republicans could and should run on a party platform”

This is the same as “towing the party line.”

If someone drums up McKinney in a race, it is to tie their opponent in the same party as a whacko. It’s the same as saying, “John Barrow’s first vote after being elected will be for Nancy Pelosi for Speaker.” Do you have that now, Flamer, or do I need to draw it out in crayons? Maybe I should have phrased it in the form of a joke or a witty quip…then you might have gotten it the first time!

Perhaps you should get someone to read and explain to you the last paragraph in my previous post. It’s quite obvious you didn’t get it.

13. rugby_fan says:

Demonbeck the point is (with all due respect) moot on you still. Flaming was saying that if the GOP candidate is so weak that he or she must tie the opponent to CM to win, then people are not electing better candidates.

Flaming was also saying that GA Podcast Network should be nominated for best local podcast on Creative Loafing’s 2006 “Best of…” Awards

14. Bill Simon says:

Colloquialism Note: The expression is “toeing the party line” not “towing the party line.” As in, putting your toes on the line the party draws on the ground. 😀

15. Demonbeck says:

No, Cynthia McKinney in Congress is a bad thing.

Your turn –

Is having Cynthia McKinney in Congress a good thing – politically – for the Republican Party? Yes or No

16. Clint Austin says:

Flamingmoderate – I may be an a-hole, but I’m not self-righteous.

Dignan – if you think my comment is farcical, I’m not sure what I could say to help you see the other perspective on this. If you are a Republican, you believe in conservative things and in supporting the conservative party.

Hank Johnson is not a member of the conservative party, he apparently supports no conservative ideals, and he would gladly put a liberal leadership in charge of the House and our country.

You can disagree if you like, but the position that a Republican should not support Hank Johnson is a little bit above being a “farce.”

17. Dignan says:

Clint: please don’t take this personal. I generally like your take on things. But to me it is a farce to equate the Republican party with conservatism.

18. kspencer says:

y’know, there’s this little thing in the world called “democracy”. And there’s this other little variation called “representative democracy”. And the essence of these is that all of a group of people vote, and the winner of the most votes gets to represent these people. What this means at its core is that

Most voters in the 4th thought McKinney best represented their position.

“Best for [nation|party|district]” opinions from everyone else are noise. While those opinions from the people who voted AGAINST McKinney are legit, they have two legitimate actions at this time: Vote; and accept the winner. No, I’m sorry, I’m wrong. Right NOW there’s a third action available. Work to get Johnson elected.

All else is noise.

19. Demon,

Sorry for the late reply. Had to do some work sometime today. 🙂

Okay, Yes. I have said over and over. I DO think having Cynthia McKinney in Congress is good for Republicans Politically.

But it seems to me like you and Clint think that having a political lightning rod in the opposing party is better than people in my district recieving fair representation…if this isn’t the case, please correct me. But from this and previous threads, it seems as though this is your premise:

If it helps the Republicans politically, then its a good thing, even if we have to offer up the 4th as a lamb to the slaughter…

Is that what I’m hearing from you guys? Do you willingly offer me and Dignan as human sacrifices?

I’m sorry I called you “funny man”, BTW. I meant that as in funny ha-ha. Not the other kind of funny. Hope I didn’t offend.

20. Demonbeck says:

Flamingmoderate,

It takes a lot more than that to offend me. That is exactly what I am saying. I am saying that the Republican voters of the 4th district – who will NEVER get fair representation in Congress – should take one for the team.

21. Demon,

Well, at least we know where we stand. I think you would feel entirely different about that “take one for the team” statement if Cynthia McKinney was your representative. At least you’re honest.

22. Demonbeck says:

I am sure I would be upset about having Cynthia as my Congressman, but I would probably be upset about having Hank Johnson in there too.