Explain Something to Me, Please

CynicalGeek sent this on the other day and I’m lost. It turns out that the registry for Cynthia McKinney’s campaign website is registered to some group called Citizens for Conservative Values and Candi Lane. So, uh, is Cynthia a closet conservative? Does that make Hank Johnson more liberal progressive?

1. Jeff Emanuel says:

Well, it depends on which side you’re on. Linguistically (and strategically) speaking, the word “Liberal” has now become almost as stigmatized as the word “Communist.” The term “Progressive” has almost completely replaced it in the modern Left-wing lexicon, due to the mainstream public’s aversion to most anything labelled “Liberal.” Just watch an listen from now on, and see how many Left-wingers you see describe themselves (or you see described by MSM sources) as “Liberal,” and how many you see called “Progressive.”

It’ll be interesting to see what comes next, after the term “Progressive” has been stigmatized by Americans’ understanding that it is just the same old Communist/Liberal wolf wrapped in sheep’s clothing. “Progressive” was a throwback to American political thought of the turn of the 19th-20th Century (ie, it’s not a “progressive” term); perhaps they’ll continue the trend, and reach back for the word “Populist”?

2. Jeff Emanuel says:

Getting back to my first sentence — we love to still use it, as it shows Liberals for who they are, by describing them in their own (former, now rejected) term. They hate it, though. 😉

3. Big Mack says:

Well, I would rather call them communists because that’s where most of them fit. However, if as Progressives they are going back to the party of William Jennings Bryan, then maybe we should call them Regressives or with their incoherent rambling perhaps Digressives. More than 50 % of them will not know who William Jennings Bryan was.

4. RuralDem says:

I doubt they will move towards replacing the word Progressive with Populist. Populist and Liberal/Progressive are totally different in my book. Anyway, the Liberal wing of the party needs to focus on getting back into the mainstream instead of constantly changing the term they use to describe themselves.

5. buzzbrockway says:

A Google search produces a few links with information on “Citizens for Conservative Values.” They seem to be based in Ohio, but they paid for a flyer in a State Senate race in Miami, defended Ken Blackwell in Ohio, pushed for Charter Schools in Ohio, and took some heat for being involved with some State Rep. in Ohio who wanted to become Speaker of the House. Why they would be involved with McKinney is a mystery, but perhaps the group who registered McKinney’s domain name is a different group. I could not, however, find anything about a group with that name at the Ethics Commission’s website.

6. GOPeach says:

I used to blow off “conspiracists” as being totally invalid.

I was just reminded by my husband today that
    conspiracy is a felony and it is a legal term
    which means ” to conceal truth”.

Do you think that this describes Cynthia McKinney?

Do you think she is a 100% invalid “wacko”?

I don’t know Jeff-

I think it is extreem to think anyone is 100% off
    maybe 95% off …. But what do we do with the
    5% that is valid?

I am no McKinney fan. I am working with
    Catherine David actually. We have discussed where
    Cynthia gets ger 5%.

Any ideas????

She must have something going on. How could she
    be so believable to the 4th District??? What is it that
    they know that we fail to understand.

To “get that” would unseat her.

7. Chris says:

As for wacko conspiracists, I tend to put more faith in those leaning to the right, since they’re the ones in complete control of the country.

8. Dorabill says:

Jeff Emanuel-
    The biggest threat to this country isn’t “wolfs in sheep’s clothing” it’s “sheeple” such as yourself. How do you Identify “sheeple”? Anyone who says “those guys” without taking a look at their arguements. You are a power broker’s wet dream. Stay in your corral like you’re supposed to young man. Mabe You’ve got a future in politics.
    (I’m starting to like GOpeach)

9. GOPeach says:

Dorabill-

Finially-
    Somebody on PP is starting to like me! ( grin ).
    That’s a first!

I like to look beyond the obvious. I loathe the status quo.
    When the media mocks someone – I want to get a closer
    look and discover what are they afraid of.

Any dead fish can float down stream.
    It takes real effort to swin against the current . Resistance
    builds strength. Look at revolutions throughout history.

I may not agree with Cynthia McKinney, but I can
    certainly respect her ” throwing caution to the wind” and
    speaking her mind. That is what America is about.

Sadly, there are young Americans dying in war to
    protect her rights to speak up like she does.

I try to understand where people are coming from
    even if I disagree….

Maybe I could learn something.

10. Dorabill says:

Right on woman. Salmon get their strength from swimming agianst the current and so do Americans.