Cynthia and Election Stealing

ImageJill Chambers reminded me of this undoctored photo of Rep. McKinney that Jill took on election night 2000. Jill reminded me of the events surrounding this, which also remind me of why it was good Cathy Cox lost.

Poll watcher Adrienne Susong witnessed Cynthia and Billy McKinney engaged in illegal electioneering. Jill, serving as Chairman of the DeKalb GOP, along with DeKalb Election Board member Nancy Quan Sellers, rushed to the precinct where this photo was taken. Nancy was later accosted by a drunken Billy during the incident. All electioneering charges were later excused by Sec of State Cathy Cox because, as Billy told the Fulton County Daily Report, “what Cynthia does at the polls is good for the entire Democratic Party

1. Dawgsrock says:

So why does the “conservative” republican SoS candidate Stephens vote to name a highway after this women? He’s the kind of leader I want in the SoS office – NOT.

2. techtrack says:

i asked twice in another thread, maybe the third time will b a charm.

how is bill stephens going to put cynthia in jail?

3. techtrack says:

jeff emanuel,
    during the atlanta press club debate charlie bailey pointed out that the sos can’t arrest anyone. stephens has claimed that if cynthia pulls the stunts that she did in this thread, he would throw her in jail. he says that it one of the 3 or 4 things he’ll be known for as sos. it sounds great in a stump speach, but hows he going to do it?

4. rjhatl says:

I had a run-in with Ms. McKinney during her 1992 run. I haven’t seen it mentioned in the press since then, so I thought I’d share it.

I was vice president of the Georgia College (now GC and State University) College Republicans. Jesse Jackson came to campus to speak at the Centennial Center on campus. For reasons I can’t remember, our president decided it would be a good idea to set up a voter registration booth at the event (maybe she had a good reason, maybe she was just politically naive, or maybe she was just crazy.. probably the latter). I stopped by before an evening class to see how things were going.

The college informed us before the event that we wouldn’t be able to register voters due to a law I can’t remember the details of. Our undefeatable president decided to man the table anyway to talk to people about the Republican Party. Jackson gave his speech. The only part I can remember is where he proclaimed that SOME people didn’t want you (“you” = his audience) to vote while casting a long gaze towards us. The audience dutifully glared up at us. I started thinking about how I really needed to get to class.

Jackson ended his speech by declaring that he would lead a march to the Baldwin County court house and demand that the registrar register anyone who wanted to vote. Keep in mind that this was at night. Outside the Centennial Center, I said hello to Jackson, who was with Cynthia McKinney, and then went to class.

I didn’t think anything of it until the next day. Cynthia wrote in to the Milledgeville newspaper that a terrible travesty had occurred- Jackson and her had marched to the courthouse to get people registered to vote, but nobody was there to hear their cries. I seem to remember her being pretty melodramatic in her article. Anyway, she was really miffed at the way The Man was keeping her down.

A few days later, the Baldwin County registrar responded. The voter office had been open, and the people that came with Jackon to register got to register. Every single thing McKinney had said in her ranting editorial was completely false. McKinney then responded and said she had just taken a little “poetic license” with the events.

I’ve been meaning to head to Milledgeville and get copies of the editorials…

5. techtrack says:

jeff,
    i’ll keep that in mind 😉

as you know i’m a strong handel supporter. the main reason is that she has offered a common sense plan to improve the office. stephens has made statements like, i”ll throw cynthia in jail, when in fact he can’t. he’s said that he’d push english only ballots in ga, when in fact it’s part of the voter rights act, and he can’t do anything about it. both things sound good in stump speaches, but…..

sorry for going off topic.

6. JasonW says:

rjhatl, I’m the current chairman of the GC & SU College Republicans, and if you need any help with anything, let me know and i’d be mroe than happy to help in anyway I can.

7. CobbGOPer says:

I would say that someone needs to have the GBI on speed-dial for runoff night in Dekalb, and tail Ms. McKinney on her rounds. I don’t know for certain, but I would assume that the GBI has jurisdiction in cases involving state election law. If they spot Cynthia within 100 feet of any polling place, report her. If they don’t do anything about it, then we need to pressure our illustrious Governor to make some heads roll for not enforcing our own elections laws.

I saw footage and have heard the first-hand accounts of Cynthia’s previous election day antics, and everyone knows well the instance from ’02. I say if she does it again, nuts to Cathy Cox and her office, report it directly to the GBI. I’m almost positive they CAN arrest her.

8. MorganCoGOP says:

I’m sure our resident expert on election law could enlighten us, what do you have to say Erick?

9. techtrack says:

once again, so how is stephens gong to put her in jail. sorry to keep asking, but stephens supporters nor stephens have ever answered. i know it’s hard for them to actually answer a question that has to do with the office of sos, but last time i looked that’s waht he was running for….

10. Loren says:

She looks scary in ANY picture, even today.

Have you seen her today? She no longer has the infamous hairdo, and has returned to cornrows for the run-off.