Vote for Hank Johnson: Rally Recap

Big thanks to all who came out to the rally to show support for Hank Johnson. My conservative guess is that we had 300-400 people show up, which is outstanding considering the short notice and the time of the rally.

State Representative Mike Jacobs organized and hosted the event and did a fantastic job introducing Hank. In addition to Mike, other elected officials showing their support at the event included State Rep. Mary Margaret Oliver, State Rep. Kathy Ashe, and former Dekalb County CEO Liane Levitan.

I’m sure that Cynthia McKinney is going to claim that only white Republicans in the northern portion of the district are supporting Hank Johnson but as always she would be wrong. The rally was overwhelmingly attended by Democrats who are sick and tired of having a divisive and self-centered individual as their representative to Congress.

I was very impressed by Hank’s remarks about his desire to represent the entire district and work to bring people together. I especially liked that his biggest promise is to make his constituents proud. I got a few minutes to speak directly with Hank and found him to be very well-spoken, thoughtful, and willing to listen: all great qualities for a public servant.

On a amusing note, I was blown away by how many people knew who I was. At least 30-40 people introduced themselves to me and said that they read my blog and that they came to the rally because of my invitation.

Finally, please show your support by visiting Hank’s website and donating to his campaign. And most importantly for those who live in the 4th District, go vote for Hank on August 8th.

1. smilingwatcher says:

Some democrat Mike Jacobs is, he pretty much tells Republicans on his website how they can vote McKinney out. Stop me if I’m wrong but don’t democrats usually want democrats to decide their primaries?

This is another case of Hank Johnson courting Republican voters to his opportunistic cause.
    Hank has run a completely negative campaign and has found monetary and media support only from those who oppose McKinney. He is bland on policy issues at best.

I think Hanks own actions speak volumes about what he is actually trying to do, he is not trying to create a better Georgia (if he wanted to do that he would not have challenged McKinney) he is trying to get a good paying, powerful job, while not ruffling any feathers along the way.

McKinney has spoken out against corruption, Johnson has spoken out against McKinney, which is more important to voters?

Hank is not a democrat, he is a Republocrat opportunist.

2. Dignan says:

smilingwatcher: if you had been paying attention, you would realize that the vast majority of people who came out to support Hank Johnson at last night’s rally were DEMOCRAT, not Republican.

I don’t see any mention on Mike Jacob’s website focused on turning out the Republican vote against McKinney. And Mike is not the lone Democrat supporting McKinney. Kathie Gannon, Kathy Ashe, Mary Margaret Oliver, and Liane Levitan are all Democrats and are supporting Hank.

I’m sure the conspiracy theorists like yourself will try to pretent that meddling crossover Republicans defeated McKinney but you would be wrong. She has lost the support of most Democrats in the district because she cares nothing about her constituents and all about herself.

3. Jeff Emanuel says:

SW, we have open primaries here, not open runoffs. Neither Hank nor Cynthia can get a single GOP vote that wasn’t cast for a Democrat (or nonpatisan), nor not cast at all, on July 18. There are few new Republican voters that they can court.

4. jacewalden says:

Jeff,

That’s not entirely accurate, if memory serves me correctly. I’m pretty sure, and correct me if I’m wrong, that those who chose not to vote AT ALL in the primaries, as in didn’t show up at the polls, CAN vote in the runoff…I could be wrong though.

But even if I’m right, this means that both Democrats and Republicans would be able to vote, so I’m not sure if it really benefits either candidate.

5. Jeff Emanuel says:

That’s absolutely correct, Jace. Had to have (a) voted Dem, (b) voted nonpartisan, or (c) not voted.

So there may be a bit of a voter base to be tapped into, but they’re fighting the fact that while few people vote in primary elections, still fewer vote in runoffs.

6. Decaturguy says:

You’re right Jace.

When will people learn that most of the Republicans in Dekalb County are no longer in the 4th District? Crossover voting has not and will not be much of a factor.

It is the Democrats and African American voters of the 4th District who have put McKinney in the politically perilous position that she is today. Just look at the precinct data. Geeeze.

7. techtrack says:

jacewaldon,
    you are correct, if you did not vote in the priamry, you can vote in the run-off and are free to choose which ballot you would like dem. or gop.

if you did vote in the primary you can not switch parties for the run-off.