Ralph Reed: It’s Time To Leave the GOP Alone

Ok, yeah, I know, we are supposed to leave the Primaries in the past and not rub in our victory and all that, but I have one last thing to discuss about Ralph Reed, and then he and I are hopefully done for good.

An email conversation that Erick and I had made me really think of something.  The conversation came about from an off-handed comment I made about someone in GA politics, and it got me thinking about other people in the world of GA politics, past and present.

This led me to think about some of the events that have happened in relation to the Georgia GOP in recent years, and it hit me:  Ralph Reed has been a virus to this Party.

Sure, all of our problems did not come about as a result of Reed, but the more and more I thought about pre-Ralph GAGOP and post-Ralph GAGOP, the angrier I became because Ralph Reed came into the GAGOP and overnight caused controversy, which has inevitably continued up until July 18, 2006.

People who were friends and colleages one day, woke up the next day enemies, divided by Ralph Reed & Co.

Ralph came through Georgia like a whirlwind, faster than Sherman’s troops, and in many ways, doing similar damage to relationships, supporters, friends, and colleagues within the Republican Party.

Even amongst some of the GOP’s greatest victories in history (for which Ralph didn’t hesitate to take the credit), we were being torn apart and eaten alive from within.

During the Reed event this past Tuesday, Ralph commented that his lost does not mark the end of him in Georgia politics.

Well, I beg to differ, Ralph.  This indeed is the end of Ralph Reed in Georgia politics.  The voters had their say.  You have done your damage, and we just can’t afford to keep you around

So, this is a note to Ralph Reed:  Leave the Georgia Republican Party alone!  We need to move on without you.  We need to mend relationships.  We need to build and rebuild.  Sure, we’ve had huge wins, but internally, we are waring with each other, and it’s only a matter of time until it catches up with us.

We are lucky to have conservative supporters in Georgia, who are very tolerant.  But, they will get tired of GOP leaders wondering around in the wilderness of cluelessness, lacking true leadership, and letting internal politics and division tear us apart.

The GAGOP needs to move into the next generation, away from the Ralph Reed era.  We need to support the next generation of GOP leaders, i.e. Casey Cagle, Karen Handel, etc.  We need to look beyond 2006, and think about what we can do to build on our success, planning for years into the future.  Long after Sonny Perdue and others are gone, we – the future generation of GOP leaders – will be left with what you have done.

We might not know who will come around, and who will prove to be leaders and who will not; however, one thing we do know is that we will never be able to move ahead with someone like Ralph Reed in our shadows, dragging us down with every step we take, one step forward – two steps back.

I agree with the others who have said it is time to unite the Party, but I will not stand by and watch Ralph Reed attempt to continue pulling us down, whether its from the podium or from his current political grave.

Ralph, contrary to your comments on Tuesday, you are done in Georgia politics.  Now, leave us alone!

1. conservativecore says:

I argued that Ralph was a plague on the party ever since he ran for Chair and probably before.

Again I will tell you it is only because of Ralph and his bullying that Georgia suffered under the poor legal direction of Thurbert Baker for the past 4 years.

Ralph needs to go back to DC where he can worry about Ralph and be like all the other folks on K Street. Pompous, Arrogant, Over paid, and Corrupt

2. rugby_fan says:

I think you are being somewhat harsh to RR. I think the GOP takeover of GA was inevitable, RR just made it happen sooner.

You are correct that RR has done damage internally to the party, I am not totally privvy to it, but annecdotally that seems to be the case.

The GOP needs to unite and they need to find some real leadership and real candidates soon. If the GaGOP doesn’t, in a few years, they will find themselves with a true dearth of leadership, but more importantly, candidates.

Oh and RR is done.

3. Bull Moose says:

Good Lord the man is going to be buried alive before this is all over with here. I agree though. Ralph’s politics of personal destruction are poison pills for us all…

I think that as the continuing Abramoff investigation unfolds, we’ll find that Ralph is too busy to be involved with Georgia politics.

To his supporters, you were a very loyal crowd. We need your support! Let’s leave the politics of division behind and come together behind Casey Cagle, Karen Handel, Brian Kemp and the other future leaders of this party.

4. Jack S says:

I hear that towery has a new poll out showing that ralph reed would have won a runoff and the general if only ralph would have listened to towery and if ralph dyed his hair blond.

5. debbie0040 says:

We Reed supporters will be in force at the State Convention next year. We are already organizing…

Bullmoose, When Cagle supporters say things such things as what GAWIRe said, it will further divide the party in reagrd to the Lt. Governor’s race. For God’s sake someone has already started an ABC movement and this just adds fuel to the fire.

Ralph will be back.

6. rugby_fan says:

Bullmoose, if you don’t want Ralph then you don’t want his supporters either.

Um, Debbie, I believe you just proved his thesis. If CC is the enemy so much that you can’t support your opposite party, all is lost.

7. BahamaBoy says:

Debbie says “Ralph will be back.” I, for one, don’t think so. I think he is finished in Georgia and will move on.

8. BahamaBoy says:

Care to make a little wager, Debbie. I think Reed will move out of SugarLoaf and settle in Northern Virginia.

What sayeth you?

9. Bull Moose says:

Okay guys, I’m sorry, but Ralph has a lot of stuff to deal with right now, I don’t think he is in a necessary position to be personally that helpful to the team in November, but as his supporters, you need to honor his word and help us win in November…

10. Bill Simon says:

It’s not Ralph that’s the problem anymore…it’s the people he got hooked on Kool-Aid that are the problem. People like Debbie who claim they are “organizing” for the State Convention in 2007.

Folks, let me be the first to publicize this, and then it is up to you to spread it around to the normal Republicans: Anthony-Scott Hobbs (“ASH”) and his Gang (like Debbie) are thinking they can take the state party next year. She thinks ASH is actually qualified for it.

She has gone so far as to walk-up to Sue Everhart and tell her (not in exact words, but pretty similar message) “No, no, Anthony’s not running…I’m for YOU, Sue…I want YOU to win the state chair’s position…”

BUT, the fact is that ASH IS running for the state party chair position. It’s his dream job to get control of that money and do with it like he has done with the finances of the Cobb GOP…like, melding the Cobb GOP with his private enterprise “Citizen Georgia.”

You cannot trust ASH, you cannot trust Debbie, you cannot trust Frank Molesky, you cannot trust Dawn Strickland, you cannot trust Michael Altman…these are all people connected with the Cobb GOP whose word means nothing. Individually, they are baby political snakes to their Daddy, Ralph Reed….they just aren’t as smart as he has been about hiding it.

11. debbie0040 says:

Don’t think so. Ralph will bounce back and be just fine. Remember Reagan lost the first time he ran for President in 1976. I would be very suprised if he moved his residence away from Georgia, but it may happen.

What sayeth you about the 2008 race, BB?

I guess you can tell I like debate. Wouldn’t you hate to be married to me? 🙂

12. debbie0040 says:

So far Sue is the only one that has announced she is running. I am not sure if Anthony is even thinking about it yet other than having input at the State Convention.
    Sue is a Reed person, duh! I am sure the powers that be have someone else in mind and there will be a fight.
    I would like to see the rules changed at State so the party can not get involved with a contested primary or they have to provide support for all candidates.

If you have evidence of wrong doing, Bill then lets see it. The books are audited by a third party and detailed financials are given out at every committee meeting. The financials are also on file with the SOS.

13. cagle2006 says:

debbie0040,
    We cagle supporters won. It’s time for Reed fans to get their priorities straight. You guys need to get over it and back Casey Cagle. as for Reed i don’t care what he does with his multi-million dollar lobbyist consultant firm. If he leaves Georgia that is great, Where ever he goes people democrat or republican will know who he and what he is notorious for. Ralph is not going to bounce back. debbie0040 it is over. you got a 64 ounce sour cup of cool-aid. Telling people there glad they glad there not married to you. We do not if debbie0040 is man.

“”” GO GAGLE”””

14. BahamaBoy says:

Reagan was able to bounce back because he didn’t have Jack Abramoff hanging around his neck, Debbie. And that’s not the only albatross Reed can’t shake.

As for 2008, I am holding my powder until I see the whites of their eyes. Frankly, the list os supposed candidates is pathetic.

And would I “hate to be married to you?” Uh. . . . . . .

I am speechless!

15. GrandOleDawg says:

I love how everyone likes to talk about uniting the party, but no one will leave Ralph alone. Casey’s victory was a shocker. You should be grateful to just have defeated this man you hate so much. But that’s not enough. You have to continue to run him down now 2 days after the primary. It’s funny how everyone said Ralph was the one who would split the party, but it’s people like GAWire who keep driving the wedge deeper. Seriously, Erick, this guy is front page worthy?

Facts are that as GAGOP chair, Ralph doubled the budget and nearly tripled the donor base. He also helped to organize the party into the effective grassroots network it is now. Funny how you had no specifics to back you up. If you think our leadership is “wondering around in the wilderness of cluelessness, lacking true leadership, and letting internal politics and division tear us apart”, then you should take it up with them, instead of blaming it on Ralph Reed. You should have also thought about that before you started stumping for their boy in the LG race.

George W. Bush caused Hurricane Katrina, and Ralph Reed caused all the problems in the Georgia Republican Party.

16. Bull Moose says:

I don’t know Sue. I think we need someone more dynamic than that as State Party Chairman.

And I do agree with you Debbie about the rule change. I don’t think State Party leadership should get involved in primaries…

I think Maurice Atkinson would make a good State Party Chairman.

17. Philly says:

Bill, I have heard you talk for over three years about the Cobb GOP. You bash them and every Republican you don’t agree with and then you have the nerve to criticize Reed supporters for not supporting Cagle or bashing him. How is that different from what you do?

I would like to see proof of wrong doing .

I have attended Cobb GOP events and find then very well organized. ASH is not at all the devil you make him out to be. They are actually working hard to elect Republicans not tear Republicans down as you do. They even posted all candidates on their web site not just incumbents.

If you think we Reed people are just going to sit back and let people like you control things at the State GOP then you have another thought coming.

I have heard several names being bandied about for Chairman and Hobbs was not one of them.

18. Broty says:

Ralph Reed did not lead anybody to where they didn’t already want to go. He did not force 178,000 people to vote for him on Tuesday. Agree with him or not, Reed speaks for some Republicans. And if it’s not him, it’s someone else. And when that person’s gone, it will be somebody else.

We really are a big tent party with diverse views and opinions. On top of that, it’s politics – there will always be individuals who want to pursue their personal agenda over that of the party.

The challenge is making everyone fit.

If you think about it, our party is really in its infancy in GA – we’re pretty new to governing. We’ve had a few strong leaders in the past, but we’re just now starting to see whole groups of men and women step up and fill the leadership void. Things will get better.

19. Philly says:

BB, Cagle2006, I was referring to the fact I l ike to debate or argue so much. Don’t you know a joke when you see one?

What if 2008 is either John McCain or Rudy Giuliani- the two frontrunners now. Which would it be?

20. CHelf says:

I am a little confused. First, many Reed supporters want nothing to do with Cagle or GA Republicans and the Party. They’ve talked about abandoning elections and getting more Republicans in office. Now they’re plotting to take over? So they can get THEIR people in office? Can someone clarify?

21. rugby_fan says:

this is the gagop falling apart. Good job working so hard to build that majority. Hope you enjoy seeing it fall apart because of your own pettyness and unwillingness to help support your candidate as much as you enjoyed having it.

22. Philly says:

Oops wrong thread. McCain or Rudy? I would hope neither one would be in the finals . Both are unacceptible to me. I prefer Condi . Debbie ,the polls I have seen show Condi and McCain tied not Rudy.

We Reed supporters are not going away. Sue Everhart has been a mainstay within the Georgia GOP for years. everyone that is active with the Georgia GOP knows Sue and calls her friend.

23. debbie0040 says:

The bottom line is Reed supporters will stay active with the Georgia GOP. Just because Reed was defeated does not mean his ideas will go away.

Philly, I did not include Condi because all indications are that she is not running.

24. polincorrect says:

I’ve never posted before but have to comment on this. We owe Ralph Reed more than you can fathom for what he has done for this party. Those that feel he has been a divide are so jealous of him you decided to be against him. It boggles my mind how much everyone turns against someone when they are down…Ralph will be back and he, along with his supporters, have a great memory.

25. polincorrect says:

Oh and can we please have Clint Austin back on here…I love hearing him quote scripture!

26. debbie0040 says:

There was crossover voting in the primary against Reed and I am not bringing it up to start the Cagle Reed thing again. The thing is the crossover in Dekalb probably helped McKinney’s challenger. Most of those that crossed over probably would have voted for McKinney. Funny that they can’t vote in the runoff now.

I think McKinney is finished.

27. Maurice Atkinson says:

Bull Moose,,,, haven’t you stopped drinking from election night’s celebration? I do have an excellent recommendation of a fabulously qualified person who would propel the party to the next level.

28. Maurice Atkinson says:

I think the bashing of Reed supporters is counter-productive and pointless. We supposedly are trying to broaden our base, not reduce it.

We won and it’s time to move forward. One of the positive attributes of Casey is his ability to build consensus. Effective consensus building minimizes our difference and maximizes our similarities to project a broader vision.

We had a rough race, it had to be rough, but the bluntness of this campaign doesn’t have to be our benchmark for moving forward.

29. conservativecore says:

From Peggy Noonan’s column today

“Ralph Reed lost this week in his race for the Republican nomination for lieutenant governor of Georgia. This strikes me as significant in several ways.

I always thought the question about Mr. Reed is: Is he a Christian who went into politics, or a politician who went into Christianity? Was he sincere and driven by a desire to have a positive impact on public policy, or a mover driven by a desire to get a piece of the action as American Christians, disaffected from a Democratic Party that had grown wildly insensitive to, and in fact disdainful of, their values, started to become a force in the Republican Party? Maybe one or the other, maybe both, maybe both but to different degrees.

I once overheard him say to a friend, a year ago, that if “they” didn’t stop him as he ran for his first public office, he would be “unstoppable.” “They” was the political left. He expected a rough race, but he seemed optimistic. What struck me though was the word “unstoppable.” I realized: He means if he wins, he’ll run for governor and then president. He sounded like a mover. And he didn’t seem sincere, not in any sweet, “this is what I believe” way.

I think he’d grown enamored of being an insider, a top and big-time operative in Republican politics and within the White House. When he spoke of the White House, he said “we.”

When I first met and interviewed him it was 1994, and he was part of the Gingrich revolution. He looked like a daguerreotype of one of the boy generals of the Civil War, his dark hair slicked back and his collar too big for his neck. But he had an air of command.

When I read some of the emails he’d sent to lobbyist friends–“I need some corporations, I need some moolah,” that kind of thing–I thought: Ick. This is a man suffering from a case of advanced insiderism. This is a guy who thinks it’s cool to be cynical.

Anyway, his defeat this week came at the hands not of “them,” of the left, but of conservative voters on the ground in Georgia. His loss seems to me another sign of one of those quiet changing of the guards in professional politics. Quietly an older generation recedes, quietly a newer one rises.

Good. We need new.”

30. GAWire says:

Someone mentioned the fact that we are jumping on Ralph while he is done, this is not the case. I can tell by many of your posts that you were not around when Ralph was UP … you came in, perhaps on his coattails, and bought his product without bargaining.

I was there, folks. That’s what this post is about. This post is about the end of Ralph. As Peggy Noonan (who is one of my favorite and I believe most talented writers) notes, this wasn’t about the Left’s influence and it has nothing to do with crossover voters. Noonan saw back in ’94 what so many saw. Reed was great as an operative, making his own money (even though I disagree with much of what he did and how he did it on grounds of ethics) … he was effective for the Party at times. But, this is the here and now … he is done. Reed supporters will not mobilize – they will fade. And, never, NEVER try to compare Ralph Reed to what happened with Ronald Reagan! You don’t know your history, b/c the situations aren’t even close to similar, and I’m not even going to comment on the 180 degree differences in candidates. Conservatives did not beat Reagan. Reagan lost because of the Democrats. Ralph, however, had his insiderism (took that from Noonan), arrogant, ego humbled by his own.

We said: “We know you, Ralph Reed, and we don’t want you.”

31. GAWire says:

Maurice, just so you know, I am not writing to bash Reed. I agree that bashing him isn’t productive. But, I am trying to think beyond November. I’m confident that the GOP will win in a few months. I greatly appreciate all of those Reed supporters that will support Cagle and the full GOP ticket. But, there are still a lot of things we need to deal with now, or we are going to still be dealing with them in 4, 6, 8, and 10 years.

polincorrect, if you want to talk about how much we “owe Ralph Reed,” then you obviously haven’t been around too long or missed a lot. Anyone who can see the big picture here knows that our “debt” to Ralph Reed is not one that has ever, or will ever bring the GAGOP benefit. And, if you think you and Ralph have a great memory, then I submit to you that ours is better, and we spoke louder! We never forgot the true Ralph Reed. Why do you think so many of “us” were working behind the scenes against him? No, we didn’t forget. Trust me … we remembered every single thing about Reed. You remember all you want, but the bottom line is you don’t have enough support. What we call that is a small, ineffective group that remembers they are bitter their guy wasn’t as great as they thought.

Listen, I’m not trying to tear you down, and I’m tired of sounding like a hard*** here … it isn’t creative writing, and quite frankly it is tiring. I just want Ralph Reed to get stop weighing us down. It started out as an internal strife, and eventually turned public, almost dividing the Party. But, we nipped it in the bud before it got out of control, and I just want to make sure it stays nipped.

32. Burke1790 says:

I did a Technorati search on Reed. Mostly useless liberal schadenfreude about Reed losing. But there were some useful posts that by and large say the same thing about Reed.

Dignan’s 75 Year Plan has one that links to the GQ piece on Reed and some others.

Yes, crossovers hurt Reed and there is something discomfiting about such tactics…and the joy of liberal Reed-bashers.

But when conservatives like the guy in the GQ article, and the Dignan’s writer, say that Reed’s character is in question, that is altogether different.

Much of Reed’s political philosophy I embrace. But his character has been seen for what it is.

33. Maurice Atkinson says:

GAWire, I’m not so concerned with Ralph. His issues are far far from over. This election did nothing but save our party from embarrassment and demoralizing defeat. The tentacles of his alliances are broad and this isn’t going to going away. He, more than likely, will be back in the headlines and not for any politicking.

My concern is that our party needs conservatives and men and women of faith and principle to be involved. We don’t need demogogues, but pro-active people who are interested in the policies of good efficient government. Most of Reed’s supporters would agree with that. They were also overcome with the persona of Ralph as opposed to the message. I agreed with much of his rhetoric, but strongly disagreed with his actions. I think I have already made that claim effectively.

People like Reed are always going to be around. Our system of government, which is the best devised by man, has provided that opportunity for opportunists and deceivers. We also have the opportunity to shut them down, we did, in this case.

34. IntheArena says:

To ignore wholesale what Reed still has to offer would be absolutely foolish. Had he received 0 % of the vote GAWire might have a valid argument. However, it is clear that many still find his vision and contributions meaningful.

This only fuels my bewilderment over why GAWire was given front page privileges in the first place.

35. Bull Moose says:

Maurice, I think you are pretty level headed and are hitting the nail on the head. I would like to see someone lead our party who can recognize and appreciate the people like you and I who work so hard to elect candidates.

For too long there has been an amazing level of arrogance out of the state party and it needs to end. Not just in who is elected in the positions, but they need to hire people that are qualified, nice, and who can relate to the those of us who work our tails off but yet get relegated to third class status because we’re not part of the “in” crowd of their own constituency.

Who do you suggest?

36. cagle2006 says:

The 2008 presidential race for the Republican Party shows two northeastern governors Mitt Romney of Massachuttess and George Pataki of New York are considering possible bids, even they have mentioned governor Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota. Which is interesting all the republican governors i mentioned are from heavily democratic states. People have asked how these states have Republican governors when these states vote democrat in every presidential race and all their senators are democrat. Let me break it down Massachuttess have all members of their congressional delegation in both houses are Democrat. Alot of these Republican governors are moderates. Minnesota has not had a Democratic Governor since the 1980’s, but the DFL (Democratic Farmers Labor Party) the minnesota affliate of the Democratic Party has controlled the state legislator and has had Paul Wellstone in the senate untill he died in 2002 in a plane crash and Mark Dayton who is the son of the founder of the retail store Dayton’s he is retiring from the US Senate this year. New York it depends what party of the state your talking about. The Democrats dominate New York City and Long Island which is known as Downstate New York. The Republicans dominate upstate New York like Rochester, Albany, Binghamton and Syracuse. The only area in upstate New York that has Democrat influence is Buffalo. It really depends on the republican candidate and the regions where each party has influence.

37. Burke1790 says:

Reed’s political philosphy is one I agree with in the main. His character is questionable. I did a Technorati search for blog posts on Reed, and even if you dismiss all the liberals’ schadenfreude about Reed losing, you still find some pieces by conservatives.

One of Dignan’s team at Dignan’s 75 Year Plan had a roundup of articles and analysis of Reed.

The current thread already cites Noonan, which is similar to the articles at Dignans.

I think Reed could do a lot of good for the GOP but he’s going to have to address in a serious way his character.

38. Brian from Ellijay says:

Folks, lets all concentrate on finishing the runoffs. Bill Stephens needs our help and support.

The LG race is over until after the runoff. Cagle has won. Period. Now we need to lick our wounds, mend our fences, build the bridges, reconnect, or whatever other metaphor you would like to make. The future of the state of Georgia is to important to let one primary race divide us.

I have suffered defeat of one of my candidates before, it sucks. But you get over it. You learn from it, you work harder next time. I was around before this years LT. Gov. race and I will be around after it–I assume a lot of you are the same. The future is Aug8 and then November. Onward to Victory.

Oh yeah, Stephens 06!!!

39. debbie0040 says:

Bullmoose, quite a few activists would agree with you on the state party assessment – both Reed and Cagle supporters.

40. duluthmom says:

Broty said: “We really are a big tent party with diverse views and opinions. ”

I wish that fact was recognized by all Republicans. I am so tired of anyone with slightly moderate views, or someone who is willing to reach across party lines to make real changes, be instantly labeled a RINO. In doing so, you automatically reject the ideal that the GOP can indeed be one big tent.

It is as bad as the ultra-right Christians who label anyone “Anti-Christian” who doesn’t share their exact tenets of belief. Or the labeling of any dissent to The Bush Administration as “Anti-American”.

IMO what I saw happen to Reed was that many Republican moderates and even many Independents, via the votes for Cagle, voiced the fact that Reed did not represent the mainstream’s priorities or values.

41. cagle2006 says:

I agree with Debbie 0040 on Gary Black for agriculture commissioner, but I support Bill Stephens for Secretary of State, Casey Cagle for Lieutenant Governor. I support a mix of candidates. there are good candidates this year.

42. GAWire says:

Maurice, you and I are in agreement.

Inthearena, if you have a problem with my writing, don’t read me. I know the ratings, call me crazy if I’m not concerned with your opinion. When you become editor, you can take it up with me then. In the meantine, feel free to take it up with Erick. Also, bashng the writer doesn’t validate your weak points.

43. Bill Simon says:

Debbie,

I would use the phrase from the old Saturday Night Live skit between Chevy Chase and Jane Curtin, but, that would be just too mean for even the Pundit.

For you to continue to claim otherwise demonstrates that A) you are an idiot, and B) you wish to continue to muddy Sue’s reputation as an honest activist.

As First Vice-Chair of the Party, she took no sides in this race. None. Zip. Nada.

So, shut your stupid-ass, lying trashy mouth.

44. dagny says:

>HOWEVER, you ARE ignorant and stupid. The fact is that Sue Everhart IS a friend of Ralph’s BUT SHE WAS NOT SUPPORTING EITHER HIM OR CASEY in this primary.

this just shows how out of the freaking loop you are. she was at all his events carrying the banner. and why don’t you act like and adult and not a pre-pubescent, bitter jerk? i think i speak for the crowd when i request a little maturity. intimating that someone is an ignorant slut is slimy – even for you!

45. Bull Moose says:

Maurice, I do not have your email address.

As for the state party, we need someone who is a unifying figure and who was NOT involved in the primary. I don’t think that person comes from Cobb County.

We need to do everything to elect Karen Handel.

46. Jimbo says:

Bill, I am sick of your childish attacks. This site is for adults not children. You need to seek treatment for your anger and bitterness.

I saw Sue actually working and helping out at Reed events not just attending. We all assumed she supported Reed. Her party title was never mentioned at the events and I have no doubt it was in her personal capacity which is allowed.

Heck, with the way the state party jumped into the primary assisted those with primary opposition, it obviously would not have been against the rules if she had.

Before you start jumping the gun, why don’t you try something new. Why don’t you actually INVESTIGATE and not jump to irrational conclusions?

47. cagle2006 says:

Debbie0040,
    Sorry to disappoint you, but sources say Ralph Reed declared he may not seek elceted office ever again. If he was smart he would let bygons be bygons with Casey Cagle and move on with his consultant firm or back Cagle throughout the general election and probably be a vip at Casey Cagle’s general election victory party, even if Reed got Zell Miller to endorse Cagle. The only person can tell us that or do that is Ralph Reed himself.

48. debbie0040 says:

I think Reed wi ll run again in 2010. As for the rest, after the type of campaign that was run, I would be very much suprised if any of that happened. I think Reed will be far too busy with his next endeavor whatever that may be.

49. shep1975 says:

The fact that Sue comes from Cobb County should not disqualifier her. In fact, during Sue’s time as 6th District Chairman, she did an amazing job organizing the district, raising more money for the 6th than probably all of the other district committees combined.

Sue and I had dozens of conversations during the primary and I could not tell who she was really supporting. If Ralph compted her a ticket to an event, she’d go. Same thing with Casey. All of us who are in various party leadership positions typically have that rule because we would go broke paying to go to everything, but get blasted if we go to nothing.

Her constant commitment to the grassroots of this party, the ones who helped build it into a majority through hundreds of thousands of hours of volunteered labor, is just what this party needs.

However, the Governor will still have more of a say in who’s the next Chairman anyway. Casey is not going to get into a toug-of-war with Sonny over who’s party chair. Either way, even if it’s a write-in vote, I’m planning on supporting Sue.

50. shep1975 says:

Plus I still say, while hiding behind this rather obscure screen name, that Jimbo is really a Democrat agitator bent on destroying the GOP from within. Most of us who have been around a while trust Sue because she has never given a reason for anyone not too.