Money and Politics

For all those who say the guy with the most money wins, we’d like to point you to Howard Dean, Ralph Reed, and, sadly, Shyam Reddy, who I think would have been a stellar candidate. I’m still a bit befuddled by why he lost. My suspicion is that in a race with too many candidates, it was very hard for any person to stand out.

Shyam’s campaign just sent out the following:

Dear Friends,
It’s been a great ride. Although I’m disappointed with last night’s outcome, I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to run for office here in Georgia. I am proud that we ran a strong and positive campaign focused on the issues. I remain convinced that the Democratic Party needs a new generation of optimistic, solution-driven leadership with fresh thinking to transform Georgia’s political landscape, and I am happy that we helped galvanize that renaissance.

We couldn’t have come as far as we did without the unfailing belief in our campaign that each and every one of you showed. I will never forget the encouragement and support that all of you have given me over the last 15 months. My wife, my campaign team, and I thank you for your generosity and faith.

Renee and I will be taking a much-needed vacation shortly (it’s been over two years since our last). We look forward to re-connecting with you when we return.

Again, my most sincere and heartfelt thanks for your support.

Warmest regards,

Shyam Reddy

1. atlantaman says:

“I remain convinced that the Democratic Party needs a new generation of optimistic, solution-driven leadership with fresh thinking to transform Georgia’s political landscape, and I am happy that we helped galvanize that renaissance.”

I hate to say it, but when clearly outspend everyone in a 6 person down-ballot race and come in a distant 4th you didn’t galvanize any renaissance. The Georgia Democrat party clearly rejected your platform of optimistic, solution-drive leadership in favor of race-baiting and pessimistic demagoging.

2. Mike says:

What a shame for the Dems. Shyam really seems like a class act(and there aren’t too many of them left in the party).

3. Mike says:

OK, I’ll say the politically incorrect thing that most of us are thinking. Georgia’s not ready to elect someone with the last name of Reddy. Not saying it’s right, but that’s just the way it be.

4. Michael C says:

Mike, I have to agree with you. But more on his first name. I think his campaign knew it as well by leaving it off his signs. Sad but true.

5. Mike says:

True Micheal. But then I wouldn’t have been able to wright ready and Reddy in the same sentence. Helen Reddy might stand a fighting chance. She would definately carry the soccer mom vote.

6. Mrs. Adam Kornstein says:

Helen Reddy of I am Woman hear me roar? Some how I don’t think she’d convince many soccer moms. Bra burning flashbacks and all..

Point of clarification: Mr. Reddy=The DPG. He had Barnes fundraiser, former party ED as mail house, Dem party/Red Clay supporters, numerous House leadership endorsements ( Dubose Porter) so to say he was in some way disconnected or rejected by them isn’t the case.

The true party outsider, is in the run off, Darryl Hicks. As I said in a Holcomb post, Hicks is the only one working his strengths with the grassroots. Plus he probably has 2000 relatives who can vote for him.

Reddy and Holcomb both failed to connect with voters in several ways, and I don’t hink it’s race. It was in maturity and experience. This is not a knock. Both had that shiney new penny feel, older folks didn’t trust it and some younger ones felt that they wouldn’t be effective in such a critical role. It was a three strikes kind of thing, lack of work experience, lack of legislative experience, lack of ground force who knew you and could identify with you.

Many in the party will encourage their participation in leadership and or elected office. Up to them the throw back in.

7. GP says:

I agree that Georgia as a whole may not be ready to elect someone named Shyam to statewide office, but I was surprised to see how poorly he did in the primary. I met most of the Democratic SOS candidates a couple of months ago and with the exception of Scott Holcolmb, Shyam stood head and shoulders above the rest. The man can work a crowd and was an absolute machine when it came to delivering his message. I don’t think Georgia has seen the last of Mr. Reddy.

I also thought it was interesting that all of his mail pieces stressed “Born, Raised, and Educated in Georgia.”