Cox concedes (in a never-ending speech)

Cathy Cox, down 52-44, conceded the Democrat gubernatorial primary at 11:59 tonight [UPDATE: in a speech that ended up being 15 minutes long], saying “congratulations on all you have accomplished, and godspeed in the months ahead” to nominee Mark Taylor.

Guess she won’t have to worry about being eaten by the Big Guy in a runoff.

1. midtowndem says:

A runoff would have been great, but glad Cox lost by the 8 points, the lesser known candidates pulled 4.5% but that would not even have helped her if they were not in the race. That has to hurt tonight.

2. newgeorgian06 says:

Quite a long speech indeed… you think Taylor’s will be that long when he loses in November?

3. midtowndem says:

it is interesting that the Dems did just as well as the Republicans in turnout. As it stands right now more people voted for a Dem for Gov than a Rep.

4. midtowndem says:

Look no further than Majette. Maybe Cox will run for Mayor of Atlanta after Franklin leaves office.

5. griftdrift says:

Never-ending?

Nice. Really gracious Jeff. What would you have said if Taylor had to concede? His speech wasn’t as long as his chins? The speech has a little fat?

At least it isn’t hard to trace the vitriol at Peach Pundit.

6. GAWire says:

Taylor’s speech would have been shorter … he can’t go more than 5 mins without talking about eating.

“Big Guys like cheap groceries!”

7. griftdrift says:

A blatantly partisan writer on a blog taking a cheap shot at someone from the other side who has just conceded? Clever is definitely a market waiting to be cornered.

8. Jeff Emanuel says:

If “blatantly partisan” means I am a conservative and Republican, I plead guilty. I have respect for Ms. Cox, but will maintain my sense of humor in writing 🙂

9. Jeff Emanuel says:

I’d bring up you saying “Oh the weirdness has already begun. McKinney’s non-concession speech is one rambling mess of good God knows what.”…but I think we can both be happily against her. 🙂

10. Dan says:

Yes, she did in fact say that he carries her purse and he does in fact do that.

If anyone was watching the WSB coverage of it, one of her supporters looked up at the ceiling about half way through like she was praying for it to fall on her.

11. BahamaBoy says:

Someone told me Mark Taylor gave a Howard Dean yell last night, but I can’t seem to locate it on any of the media outlets. Perhaps they are trying to help him avoid seeing/hearing it played over and over again ala Dean.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?